The End of Nova Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
afterNOVA
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by afterNOVA » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:22 pm

steki47 wrote:Again I ask how are you explaining this to the Japanese people in your life? Can we get them to understand that we are not being irresponsible, but rather making hard decisions in reaction to being lied to over and over?
First, we aren't Japanese, and although we were employed by a Japanese company, we are and should respond respective to our own backgrounds. My background says when the company can't pay salaries and after giving more than enough chances to do so, I move on. But that's just me. I don't really care what Japanese think of my decision to leave abruptly. I have bills to pay and that is foremost on my mind-- income coming in. If they knew the truth about NOVA's history of fraud, lies and deception they would better understand our decision.
Last edited by afterNOVA on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listen and repeat, "NOVA was just a bad nightmare." Your future starts now. Any questions?

fumanchu
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by fumanchu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Likewise, I explained the situation to gfs parents and once they had the facts they understood completely. They explained that the loyalty expected to ones company is based on trust - once that trust is gone loyalty cant be expected to continue. Nova has lied us tricked us and fucked us around so there is no trust and consequently no loyalty.

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:I can't help but feel that many people posting this and similar comments have an outdated idea of how the Japanese think. Younger people change jobs all the time these days, and they quit if they don't like their boss -- and I'm talking about permanent company employees.
I agree with this. In fact, all the Japanese peopl I have spoken to have said that they are glad I got out of there. In all honesty, showing the faxes from Saruhashi helps to show just what kind of company Nova is to people not in the know. The style of writing, etc.

Also, to the people who are being pressured to keep going in. Ask the people who are telling you: will you pay me my salary? If you're struggling to live already, then even getting 2 or 3 privates will make a huge difference.

Put it this way, there's no guarantee that you're going to see any salary again . The company haven't done this, so it is in YOUR interests to get out and find something else.

Spanner
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Spanner » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Very reliable source confirms that the Kyushu AMG was planning to close all branches from Oct 20th to force the monkeys hand. She took legal advice as to whether she would incur liability for the decision. Lawyer advised against it so she backed down.

btw - the staff don't have to wait to claim UI. all of them can walk as of today and get their money.
Staff I work with are waiting for education training programs to start before quitting as they just missed the last round. They're coming to work a) on the off chance of getting paid, b) in the hope of claiming money later (3 seperate staff have been told by local LSO they can get the money), c) cos they genuinely like the students, d) cos they genuinely like working together.
They have their eyes wide open and are doing what's best for them.
Realis, however, that other staff may be less enlightened

DentShop
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by DentShop » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:32 pm

steki47 wrote:What do the Japanese people in your life think about all this and your decisions? Can we get them to understand that we are not being irresponsible, but rather making hard decisions in reaction to being lied to over and over?
A good point about Japanese going to Australia, US etc and not getting paid. In that situation all Australians would be labelled as bad, not just the sham of a company.

Most students will lose about 150 000 - 200 000 Yen in lessons when its all over. Compare that to the 500 000 Yen the staff or instructors will lose.

Ask anyone if they would prefer to be paid with money, or lies. Ask your to be in-laws if they would prefer their daughter to eat well and have a roof rather than a shack made of bullshit faxes and shredded Diplomats.

Dont be too concerned about what people think now. History will vindicate the instructors in this issue. In a year or so, Nova will be a faded memory like the faded banners hanging outside the branches. With any luck Sahashi will be dragged through the mud and the public will realise who was really to blame...

mican12001
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by mican12001 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Many of us already knew Shinjuku Honko was closing, since last month at least, however there was no mention of an exact date. I believe that is what they are referring to as only being given 12 hours notice.

In regards to what I had previously mentioned, most of us working at Shinjuku Honko were aware that it was due to close down "sometime in the future", but this, of course was never confirmed by the higher powers ( oh praise them in their almighty wisdom!).
The 12 hours notice was given to instructors who still work there ( I am technically on the books, but, no, I do not work for free, and I will never go back to Nova. ) and apparently to students who the J-Staff called.
If it is any consolation, the whole company is getting shut down. Betcha it is with less than 12 hours notice.
take it easy my Nova Tomo

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by clubrabbits » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 pm

It's probably somewhere in this thread but at 418 pages....well can someone post a link to the METI report in Japanese. Thanks.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm

steki47 wrote: My GF and her family spoke of my responsibility to the students. ?
Interesting to know how they propose you support their daughter financially in the future.

scared&lazy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by scared&lazy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Just for a laugh....

nigerian_nampa
LJ Sharpshooter
LJ Sharpshooter

Unread post by nigerian_nampa » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 pm

steki47 wrote:Again I ask how are you explaining this to the Japanese people in your life? Can we get them to understand that we are not being irresponsible, but rather making hard decisions in reaction to being lied to over and over?
I've pointed out to some people that living in a different country with a large language barrier (even for those who study hard), we really don't have the kind of safety net that would allow us to keep working without pay to support our company. The Japanese staff can live with mommy and daddy and dip into the funds they've saved up while paying zero rent, while we're left on our own. When I explained it like this they seemed to understand well that Nova teachers need to be out looking for other sources of income, rather than feeding a dead one.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:00 pm

I really don't understand these people who work for free just because of peer pressure, or to "earn respect of the Japanese people"

52 unpaid days and counting.
I don't respect that, and I don't respect anyone who would.

If you really think you've earned the respect of your Japanese relatives, then try asking them for a cash loan, and see how quickly their "respect" evaporates.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 pm

nigerian_nampa wrote:
Hey Steki

I dont work there but my wife is VERY pedantic when it comes to money. You dont want to fuck with her. It would be VERY bloody ugly for Nova if I was working there and they did this. I wouldnt want to be in their shoes.

Its interesting. Saruhashi does this to the Japanese staff first and then figures FUCK IT and does it to the gaijin too. If it were me, I wouldnt do it to gaijin or Japanese but especially gaijin! If you want to exist peacefully that is.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

went2shopping
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by went2shopping » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 pm

In The Know wrote:
allblacks wrote:Is this Anders Bumkiss?

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1ce325c9d9.jpg
WTF?! I about spit out my coffee when the image popped up! Was he sired by a fargin' werewolf? :shock: Anders, or whoever it is, this poor bastard couldn't get laid in a women's prison. It appears he already has his Halloween costume on.
lol! but he obviously has tried a least once to get laid in a womans pen but when he was rejected he heard that japan would be an easier place to score.

btw... he can be found in the osaka mm centre building, 19th floor. just look for the ugliest fucker in the building.

happy hunting all.
show me the monkey...bridge. fuk'n scumbag.

anders pic:

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1ce325c9d9.jpg

anders family history:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7062415.stm

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Level3 wrote:I really don't understand these people who work for free just because of peer pressure, or to "earn respect of the Japanese people"

52 unpaid days and counting.
I don't respect that, and I don't respect anyone who would.

If you really think you've earned the respect of your Japanese relatives, then try asking them for a cash loan, and see how quickly their "respect" evaporates.
Sort of off topic and not really taking issue with your view but my experience is you would get the loan in a flash. :-)
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

gekikara26
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by gekikara26 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:36 pm

http://www.jasdaq.co.jp/ir/show.do?stoc ... =00&lang=E

Hope it stays that way!

Two more days and it could all be over!!
gekikara26

SkyTripper
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

steki47

Unread post by SkyTripper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey steki47,
Do your Japanese friends respect people who continue to defraud the Japanese public?
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

gekikara26
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by gekikara26 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Spanner wrote:Very reliable source confirms that the Kyushu AMG was planning to close all branches from Oct 20th to force the monkeys hand. She took legal advice as to whether she would incur liability for the decision. Lawyer advised against it so she backed down.

btw - the staff don't have to wait to claim UI. all of them can walk as of today and get their money.
Staff I work with are waiting for education training programs to start before quitting as they just missed the last round. They're coming to work a) on the off chance of getting paid, b) in the hope of claiming money later (3 seperate staff have been told by local LSO they can get the money), c) cos they genuinely like the students, d) cos they genuinely like working together.
They have their eyes wide open and are doing what's best for them.
Realis, however, that other staff may be less enlightened
Have the teachers been coming in to Fukuoka branches?
gekikara26

Pabloski
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Pabloski » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:04 pm

This has just been reported in a Scottish newspaper...

"The UN Secreatry General, the Pope, Monkeybridge and a 9 year old school boy were flying across the Swiss Alps today when the airplane developed engine trouble and crashed. The black box has been recovered and contains a recording of the following conversation:

Pilot: We got engine trouble. Sorry. [grabs a parchute and jumps]

UN Sec. Gen: Oh no! There are only 3 parachutes left! Sorry, but I have to jump. Millions of people around the world rely on me for peace and security. So long! [jumps]

Monkeybridge: I am the owner of the largest english school in japan. My students need me so I can provide them with lessons, and my staff and teachers need me for the job security i give them. [jumps]

Pope: Well young man. Only 1 parachute left. As a Christian, and the leader of the Catholic church, I feel its my duty to give you the last parachute. You are young, whereas I have lived a full life (including two years in the Nazi youth, shhh!)

Schoolboy: Dont worry old man. There are still two parachutes. That dumb son-of-a-bitch monkey fucker took my school bag.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What do you get if you cross Flemming with Anders? FLANDERS!!!! "well hello diddly doo coworker! Still waiting for the casharoony to come a diddly dopping pingin and a poppin its way into your bank account? Well a dont be a diddly widdly worrying! New NOVA will take care of everything! or my name aint Lundquist! "

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

for those wanting to quit

Unread post by clubrabbits » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Labor Contracts:

"Working Conditions
Once you enter into an employment contract, you must make
sure that details relating to wages, working hours and paid leave
are clarified by the employer (wages in particular, must be
specified in writing). If an employer violates the contract in any
way, the employee may deem it null and void or demand the
employer act according to its conditions.

(1) Wages
The employer must pay wages in full to the employee
concerned. These wages should be paid in cash, at least once
a month on a designated day. "

"The employee may immediately cancel the labor contract, if
the working conditions as clearly stated differ from actual
fact.(Article 15)"

Why Nova won't say you're fired when your branch closes:

"(4) Dismissal
In the event of dismissal, the employer must notify the employee
of this decision 30 days in advance. If notice is not given in this
time, the employee is entitled to at least 30 days average salary
(also known as dismissal allowance). "

Go to work today and quit. Good luck. My AAM is still talking up a Nova "recovery". Got more chance of seeing an actual Jurassic Park.
Last edited by clubrabbits on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: for those wanting to quit

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:24 pm

clubrabbits wrote:Labor Contracts:

"The employee may immediately cancel the labor contract, if
the working conditions as clearly stated differ from actual
fact.(Article 15)"

Why Nova won't say you're fired when your branch closes:

"(4) Dismissal
In the event of dismissal, the employer must notify the employee
of this decision 30 days in advance. If notice is not given in this
time, the employee is entitled to at least 30 days average salary
(also known as dismissal allowance). "

Go to work today and quit. Good luck. My AAM is still talking up a Nova "recovery". Got more chance of seeing an actual Jurassic Park.

this is good to know and bring to the attention of the HELLO WORK
people. Since my branch effectively closed down.

does anyone know where to get a copy of the JAPANESE version
of our contracts?

as far as your AAM..
YOUR AAM SOUNDS LIKE A COMPLETE SPANNER
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

boom boom 331
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by boom boom 331 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 pm

FalconDriver wrote:I went in to my branch today just to see what was up. The staff are convinced that the only way to save NOVA is for the teachers to come back to work. I left shaking my head.

Wow :shock:
the staff sounds almost as delusional as
the HEAD CHEESE...

:shock: :shock: :shock:
its now only a matter
of WHAT is to come NEXT.

Lord Blackadder
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Location: On my steam yacht "The Saucy Sue", with the Balinese Goddess of Plenty

Unread post by Lord Blackadder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 pm

FalconDriver wrote:The staff are convinced that the only way to save NOVA is for the teachers to come back to work.
The staff are living in la-la land.

Or Baldrick is running the joint and has convinced them of a cunning plan...
It's only a short step from "tush" to "hey nonny nonny", and then I'm afraid I shall have to call the police.

I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

http://www.despair.com/

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by clubrabbits » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Japanese version of our contract: my contract is in japanese and english. and yes my aam is a tool - but that's a prerequisite to being an aam (or any titled instructor for that matter).
Last edited by clubrabbits on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DentShop
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by DentShop » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 pm

FalconDriver wrote:I went in to my branch today just to see what was up. The staff are convinced that the only way to save NOVA is for the teachers to come back to work. I left shaking my head.

Wow :shock:
That is in fact true. However the catch is that you must work for free or for very little.

yuutokun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Don't touch my...

Unread post by yuutokun » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:43 pm

privates are the best way to go now. In some sense they provide more security then Nova does right now. At least in most cases you get the money up front.
I've heard alot about people trying to take Nova students as privates but unfortunately at my branch alot of the students are naive about Nova's current situation and thus aren't seeking other means to study English.
I guess if I were them I might want to use up as many points as possible to, I just can't believe the people are signing up for more.
Must be something in the water.

jrfiction
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by jrfiction » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:48 pm

Guns of Navarone wrote:shinjuku honko huh? I wonder what that twit on the youtube video blog has to say now about that? (the guy who youtube blogged his nova experiences and videoed himself while driving his car)
"I called Shinjuku today and they were open, I talked to the AT and ..... :blah:
Short-sighted moron. anyone remember the link to his youtube videos?

edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0d7-Q0nnP4 here it is - rainbowhill88
Ahh, and err, that would be me, before I saw the light. In fact getting on the phone and reading the comments on that vlog were quite an eye opener. Thanks for that. Without the friendly folks on Youtube and LJ I probably wouldn't have made the decision to stop working for free a couple of weeks back.

If you have another look, more recently I have been talking to recruits who had their dates for departure pushed back, and then cancelled. I also posted a short vlog on my last day. If you care to check it out, please do.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=rainbowhill88

Now who you calling a moron, dipshit?
insert self deprecating comment

jrfiction
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by jrfiction » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm

FalconDriver wrote:
Guns of Navarone wrote:shinjuku honko huh? I wonder what that twit on the youtube video blog has to say now about that? (the guy who youtube blogged his nova experiences and videoed himself while driving his car)
"I called Shinjuku today and they were open, I talked to the AT and ..... :blah:
Short-sighted moron. anyone remember the link to his youtube videos?

edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0d7-Q0nnP4 here it is - rainbowhill88
Yeah that guy was an arrogant jerk wasn't he?
"Oh I saw no signs at all of the school closing. People were talking and laughing, kids were playing :blah: "

What a dick head.
Before we get down to name calling, weren't you the guy who suggested any one going to work should have the cars keyed and their lights knocked out? Making a few phone calls and talking to a few people in response to a rumour is hardly criminal now is it? Arrogant, now there is a word that suits a helmeted tosswad.

You can take this PM if you like, because the name calling and flame wars benefit no one except those with something to prove.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:00 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:And in yet further bad news, the guy Nishida who reportedly arranged the share warrant issue for Nova that's supposed to take place later this week -- he's been officially linked by prosecutors to the yakuza and implicated in investing their money in shady stock deals.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20071 ... 6-san-soci

His modus operandi has been to find struggling companies and get them to suddenly announce a huge infusion of cash. He then receives the investors' money through a fund and receives warrants for new shares. After pumping up the stock through buying and selling, all the new shares are then dumped.

Sound familiar?

There is no way these warrants are going to get exercised this week. Game over.
Interesting. Many thanks. Yep, I agree that is very likely the final death knell. If the sorry shambles is still undead by the end of the week it will be in a truly chaotic and perhaps even a dangerous state. I am especially thinking of staff in the front line. A lot of teachers will probably be gone by then anyway.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

jrfiction
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by jrfiction » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:04 pm

toiletbrush wrote:
jrfiction wrote:Can we hear from anyone in Kyushu? Apparently if it weren't for the fear of legal action from an AMG in that area, it would have been closed down early this week.

I stress that I really do not know what's actually going on. But what I heard would suggest that you've used the wrong preposition above. That 'from' should in fact be 'against' - in other words, it was the AMG who had been looking to close the area down.

But that's just from a rumour I've heard. It might be wrong and you might be right.
Yeah, you got it right, that should have been 'against'. What I heard was they _feared_ legal action. So it may not have been a threat they were responding to at all.

clubrabbits
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by clubrabbits » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:05 pm

For any instructors still working:

In every branch there is a sign above the door that says "EXIT" it's clearly marked with a man walking through a door. Once you find this sign, go through the door, now you might need to find the stairs or elevator, go to level 1. The next step is to find the train station or bus stop (yep that's it, you probably got off there this morning). Now get on the train or bus, go home and await further instructions.