MMA

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

MMA

Unread postby chimpsky » Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Recently started watching clips from UFC and have slowly started getting back into it.... does anyone here follow it closely? According to Yahoo! rankings the top two fighters are Anderson Silva at no.1 and Canadian George St. Pierre at no.2.... who are some of the guys you like to watch in the ring/octagon? for that matter, which promotion has the best fights? UFC seems to have a long standing rep but recently a lot of fighters have been leaving due to conflicts with management, contract stipulations, or other personal reasons ie. Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Kalib Starnes (deservedly so after his cowardly display of fighting), Mirko Cro Cop... Is UFC still the top draw or other promotions such as Mark Cuban's Elite XC and Japan's Dream promotion just as good?

Ortiz press conference after his last fight in the UFC, some major beef between him and Dana White, president of UFC

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn2Tzw72nFk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn2Tzw72nFk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Kimbo Slice

Unread postby chimpsky » Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 pm

supposedly the most intriguing guy in MMA now, not because of his background in martial arts but because of his bare-knuckled street brawling skills, see for yourself! is he really cut out for MMA?

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fS5P5PoiQI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fS5P5PoiQI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3phRXMgmt1M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3phRXMgmt1M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: Kimbo Slice

Unread postby chimpsky » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 pm

OK the verdict is in, Kimbo has a long way to go if he's ever going to step in the octagon/ring with the elites and pure MMA fighters.. yesterday he took a good pounding from some jobber/tomato can named Colossus Thompson... it was entertaining in a WWE kinda way but did nothing to improve the image and reputation of MMA as a competitive sport. Here's the match courtesy of the 'tube. Watch out for that grotesque, bulbous ear on Thompson, ugh! :puke:

round 1

round 2

round 3 (not for the squeamish)

some ppl were crying fix... regardless, the officiating and commentating for that matter, ("your jiu-jitsu looked solid at times" wtf!!!? :rotfl: ) was just as shoddy as the match itself
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: MMA

Unread postby Haterade » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:24 am

For fans of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in southeast Asia, check out this blog.

http://www.bjj-asia.com/
"The Worlds is Square" - FF VI
Haterade
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:22 am

Kimbo's a joke for sure - the Bob Sapp of the current MMA scene. As soon as he comes up against anyone really good he'll get submitted in seconds. Mind you, I don't think the Elite XC promotion will let that happen anytime soon. As with Sapp when he came onto the K-1 scene, he's way too bankable at the moment.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby chimpsky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Kimbo's a joke for sure - the Bob Sapp of the current MMA scene. As soon as he comes up against anyone really good he'll get submitted in seconds. Mind you, I don't think the Elite XC promotion will let that happen anytime soon. As with Sapp when he came onto the K-1 scene, he's way too bankable at the moment.

Yeah, as much as I hate Dana White and his Don King "look at me" type of persona, the UFC does put on some great shows with some legit fighters... Elite XC will be good for a laugh every once and awhile.... Do any of you know if Japan networks/websites air any MMA fights nowadays? It'd be nice to see how the new DREAM promotion is shaping up and other mainstays such as Pancrase and Sengoku
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm

Well, I'm not in Japan any more (haven't been for a couple of years now) so I don't know what's on. I mainly follow K1 via torrents and to be honest I'm a much bigger fan of that than MMA - I prefer striking over grappling any day. I've watched all of the Dream promotions so far and found them reasonably enjoyable though.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby chimpsky » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:41 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Well, I'm not in Japan any more (haven't been for a couple of years now) so I don't know what's on. I mainly follow K1 via torrents and to be honest I'm a much bigger fan of that than MMA - I prefer striking over grappling any day. I've watched all of the Dream promotions so far and found them reasonably enjoyable though.

Yeah I heard Cro Cop is making his return to the Japanese circuit so I definitely like to see him action.. Is Fedor Emelianko (sp?) on their roster as well?
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby sirwanksalot » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm

chimpsky wrote:
Yeah I heard Cro Cop is making his return to the Japanese circuit so I definitely like to see him action.. Is Fedor Emelianko (sp?) on their roster as well?

Filipovic couldn't hack it in the UFC. I'm a fan of his but he is just way too tentative.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread postby chimpsky » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:31 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:
chimpsky wrote:

Filipovic couldn't hack it in the UFC. I'm a fan of his but he is just way too tentative.

Yeah it was same tentativeness that cost him fights such as this KO loss to Kevin Randleman

http://www.myvideofight.com/video/pride ... dex-8.html
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 pm

now that the sideshow fodder known as Elite XC has rolled over and kicked the bucket and kimbo is off to do bellydancing at the Hawaiian Spa Resorts we can return to the regularly scheduled programming on the only (semi-)legitimate fight promotion out there nowadays, UFC

Nov. 14th fight Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, anyone wanna place bets? I put down 20 yen on brickhead lesnar taking Couture's 45 year old body to the laundrymat
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby steki47 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am

Any Chuck Lidell fans? I dig the Iceman!
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby chimpsky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:35 am

Iceman sure knew how to let them hands go back in the day but after getting the stuffing knocked out of him in the past few fights he seems to be nearing the end of his career.... although one last swan song with Tito might help his cause! The new wave of alpha males aka GSP, Jon "Bones" Jones, Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos are just unstoppable and freaks of nature, in fact they may not even be human :shock:
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby sirwanksalot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:57 pm

chimpsky wrote:Iceman sure knew how to let them hands go back in the day but after getting the stuffing knocked out of him in the past few fights he seems to be nearing the end of his career.... although one last swan song with Tito might help his cause! The new wave of alpha males aka GSP, Jon "Bones" Jones, Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos are just unstoppable and freaks of nature, in fact they may not even be human :shock:

Funny watching to old hat lose ground to the new guard shows me a few things. The first thing to go is speed and the last is strength. Once one has been K the F out the chin is lost forever AKA Chuck, Wand, and Cro- cop. Most fighters, no matter how great, have the common sense to hang them up at the right time.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread postby steki47 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:28 am

chimpsky wrote:Iceman sure knew how to let them hands go back in the day but after getting the stuffing knocked out of him in the past few fights he seems to be nearing the end of his career.... although one last swan song with Tito might help his cause!

I recently watched Tito and Chuck work as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter Season 11. Fragile egos plus big muscles-yikes!

Yeah, Iceman hath melteth. I just really liked his fighting style and even his out-of-the-cage personality.

Polar (hehe) opposite: "Rampage" Jackson-total ghetto rudeness. Amusing at times.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:04 pm

steki47 wrote:I recently watched Tito and Chuck work as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter Season 11. Fragile egos plus big muscles-yikes!

Yeah, Iceman hath melteth. I just really liked his fighting style and even his out-of-the-cage personality.

Polar (hehe) opposite: "Rampage" Jackson-total ghetto rudeness. Amusing at times.

Loved those wars between Rampage and Wandy, their fights from the PRIDE days were absolute classics!! Rampage hasn't had any great fights recently due to his time being split between Hollywood and the UFC, but I still want to see him fight, even if it's just to see what comes out of his mouth pre-fight and post-fight

next up: Koscheck vs. GSP II, I wanna see another meathead (Koscheck) get knocked the f out!!!! GSP FTW!!!
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby steki47 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:28 am

Anyone watch the Dynamite last night? Bob Sapp cancelled! He didn't want to fight. Fucking chump.
One good point was watching Aoki Shinya get KO'ed four seconds into the second round. I can't stand that little bitch.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby chimpsky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I saw a few matches on replay from dynamite. Aoki getting ko'd was fun to watch. The little weasel was running around throwing double-legged dropkicks the entire first round and refused to even trade with the guy. Another highlight was that roid beast Overeem whaling on his pint-size opponent, can't wait to see how he fairs in that heavyweight tourney for Strikeforce later on in 2011! On the other hand, the other heavyweight bout between Ishii and Le Banner was so dull that I heard crickets chirping in the background.
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 pm

chimpsky wrote:I saw a few matches on replay from dynamite. Aoki getting ko'd was fun to watch. The little weasel was running around throwing double-legged dropkicks the entire first round and refused to even trade with the guy. Another highlight was that roid beast Overeem whaling on his pint-size opponent, can't wait to see how he fairs in that heavyweight tourney for Strikeforce later on in 2011! On the other hand, the other heavyweight bout between Ishii and Le Banner was so dull that I heard crickets chirping in the background.

It was generally a pretty enjoyable event, I thought. It was a shame Sakuraba's ear fell off as his fights are always entertaining. Haven't seen anyone get as badly KO'd as Aoki for ages either!
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby steki47 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I'll bump this. Just got back into watching MMA again recently. Watching a champ like Silva get knocked out by a young kid was quite a shock. Silva was being really cocky-stupidly so-and taunting Weidman, who obviously took advantage of the opening.

While I'm at it, I had a chance to watch MMA from Singapore-One Fighting Championship. Decent fights the one time I watched it.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby sirwanksalot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Weed man is the real deal. He just gets better every fight. I like Silva but I will always cheer for an American over a B-nut. The U.S. vs Brazil rivalry is good fun!
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Speaking of new champs, Anthony "Showtime" Pettis recently tapped out Benson "Smooth" Henderson for the lightweight championship.. this dude is the real deal, flashy kicks, punches and a decent ground game... definitely my new favorite fighter to watch and root for!

Can't wait to see the Weedman vs. Silva rematch.. it's amazing to see the rise of MMA in NA and the polar opposite of it in Japan... no Pride, no Dream, no K-1... what's left??
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby sirwanksalot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Petis is the man. I like Bendo as well just not his style. Glad there is a new champ that brings it instead of pointing for a decision. I also thoroughly enjoyed Mir getting his ass kicked by Barnett.

A couple of brazilans to watch for are Texieriea and Jacare. Glover has the next title shot against the winner of Gus vs Jones and Jacare deserves one against the winner of Silva vs Weidman. I don't see Jones losing any time soon though.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread postby chimpsky » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:50 am

sirwanksalot wrote: I also thoroughly enjoyed Mir getting his ass kicked by Barnett

Mir lamented there was a premature stoppage call, which was warranted but he was going to go down sooner or later with his awful cardio. So glad to see a former pride star (barnett) still making waves as shogun, wandy, rampage, hendo et al. have reached the end of their life expectancy!
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Return to Sports