Alt Jobs - Good Companies, When to Apply?

A forum for discussing life after eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Alt Jobs - Good Companies, When to Apply?

Unread postby Bokuwa-neko » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 am

I know most schools hire for the start of the year in April, but do they ever hire part-way in? Is it possible to apply for a start date after April (Such as late summer/early fall), at the beginning of a semester/term? Also, I currently reside in the US.
Also, I've been looking for some good companies. Thus far, I've found pretty good reviews of the following companies:
Interac
Altia
Cosmos
W5

More concerned with manageable hours than fantastic pay (I can always tutor on the side...). Looking to teach, and I don't mind living outside of the city (cheaper rent, too!)
Here's a summary of my meandering post: Will they hire me AFTER April (can't get to Japan until summer or fall), and do you recommend any in particular?
Thanks.
Bokuwa-neko
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: Alt Jobs - Good Companies, When to Apply?

Unread postby Tall Tall Tree » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Yes, eikaiwa companies typically do hire at "off" times in the school year, as it's pretty much a given that a small number of new hirees will freak out and go back home or something before their contract is up. It won't hurt to keep an eye on job boards and recruitment web sites year round.
Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby strongbad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am

Bokuwa-neko wrote: Thus far, I've found pretty good reviews of the following companies:
Interac
Altia
Cosmos
W5

:shock: Where did you find a good review of Interac? They're one of the suckiest of the bloodsuckers.
strongbad
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby Bokuwa-neko » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:52 am

I see I need to do more research! Thanks for the tip, strongbad.
Bokuwa-neko
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby T.D. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:49 pm

All of them are at some time looking for someone at all times of the year. There is always someone who quits in the middle of the year for some reason or another. It'll be tough with you not being in Japan for the interview process though. I think Altia would be the best bet for you since they hire overseas on occasion. They are a great company to work for too.
T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby vadarfone » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Bokuwa-neko...

I have worked for a number of ALT dispatch companies, good and bad.

The good ones will help you a lot and leave you alone to a large degree when you are actually set up and working.

The shit ones will pay low, bother you all the time for loads of meaningless progress reports and will basically treat you with a bizarre contempt that seems to come out of nowhere.

I am not going to list the good and bad ones I have dealt with over the years, but suffice to say; with all of them, if you approach them like you are in the driving seat, and are not going to take any shit, you will get results.

This whole industry is basically run by borderline personality disorders, who adopt what they think is the Japanese way of doing things, but actually comes across as nothing more than simpering and spineless. So, shop around and be straight up with the companies. The chances are, the foreigners they have working for them are not Alpha material, and can be told what is up (without being rude, of course!). You will get the results you want this way.

Once you are in a school, you are pretty much set for the course of your contract; it is more troublesome for a company to replace a bad ALT mid term than it is to just smooth things over and release them at the end of the term. You seem genuine though and if you are wanting to teach, then you will have a great time.

Like I said, the best thing is to shop around.

As for coming in Fall, well, I got my first ALT job during August/September, and it didn't seem to be any harder than finding a job in April (in a way, you might be better off, as if indeed someone does drop out, which happens all the time, the companies will be desperate to fill the position (this game is basically a slightly pathetic version of musical chairs).

Good luck and let us know if you need any more info!
vadarfone
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 am

Vadarfone, which is it???

OK, I will admit it...

I don't live in Japan. I live in Watford (in England).

I have been dreaming of coming to Japan for ages, and I thought I would check out the people who frequent the internet about Japan.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256580#p1072784

OR

I have worked for a number of ALT dispatch companies, good and bad.

The good ones will help you a lot and leave you alone to a large degree when you are actually set up and working.

The shit ones will pay low, bother you all the time for loads of meaningless progress reports and will basically treat you with a bizarre contempt that seems to come out of nowhere.

Bokuwa-neko, just ignore him. Regardless if he has or hasn't been in Japan, he's a troll, and has little or nothing to say that you could trust anyways.
Head over to the Good Bad Ugly thread to see what people have been saying about various companies they have worked for.

viewforum.php?f=9
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby sex_sensei » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:59 am

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Vadarfone, which is it?

Bokuwa-neko, just ignore him. Regardless if he has or hasn't been in Japan, he's a troll, and has little or nothing to say that you could trust anyways.
Head over to the Good Bad Ugly thread to see what people have been saying about various companies they have worked for.

Man, you high-sticked (high-stuck?) him! :omfg:

Good job! :D
Nobody gets out alive-- Jim Morrison
sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby otakuman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Bokuwa-neko wrote:I know most schools hire for the start of the year in April, but do they ever hire part-way in? Is it possible to apply for a start date after April (Such as late summer/early fall), at the beginning of a semester/term? Also, I currently reside in the US.
Also, I've been looking for some good companies. Thus far, I've found pretty good reviews of the following companies:
Interac
Altia
Cosmos
W5

More concerned with manageable hours than fantastic pay (I can always tutor on the side...). Looking to teach, and I don't mind living outside of the city (cheaper rent, too!)
Here's a summary of my meandering post: Will they hire me AFTER April (can't get to Japan until summer or fall), and do you recommend any in particular?
Thanks.

Where did you find a good review of Cosmo? Cosmo is probably the worst company on that list. Beware of that company. They only offer 3 3 month contracts. The salary is misleading. Plus, you have no paid holidays.

For info about the other companies, look at the good, bad, ugly forum. Beware of dispatch companies. They will lie and mislead you.

Good luck.
If you fail to you learn history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely -Lord Acton-
otakuman
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Location: Between a bottle of 18yr old Glenfiddich and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue

Unread postby nemo flow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:27 am

Every 'vadarfone' said, was right. :clap:
nemo flow
Asshat
Asshat

Unread postby genieZero » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:12 pm

There are NO good ALT companies, they should not even be there in the first place!

Get directly hired...fuck ALT companies!
genieZero
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby steki47 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 am

genieZero wrote:Get directly hired...fuck ALT companies!

So...how do you get hired directly?
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby Wage Slave » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 am

steki47 wrote:
genieZero wrote:Get directly hired...fuck ALT companies!

So...how do you get hired directly?

Contact the Board of Education in the city you are interested in working. In many cases you will be out of luck as they will probably use a despatch company but you never know.

If you are interested in High School teaching then it is usually organised by the Prefectural government rather that the City.

If it is university you are interested in then contact the university directly. The same applies for private schools.

Good luck and happy hunting. The process to hire for April next year starts about now. My BoE is currently trying to find out how many vacancies they will have.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby steki47 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 am

Wage Slave-many thanks! Will do!
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Return to Out of Eikaiwa