NHL Hockey 2009/10 Season

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

NHL Hockey 2009/10 Season

Unread postby Shawn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Oh yes! Game on! :cheers:
Go Canucks!

Get involved with the Eikaiwa Wiki

RSS Feeds: Blog :: Blog comments :: Forums
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: NHL Hockey 2009/10 Season

Unread postby allblacks » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Ok usually I bag ice hockey. I wouldnt mind getting into a new sport. Who should I go for as an international onlooker? What was the team that Gretsky played for? Thats about all I know...
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby ShonaiBen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm

allblacks wrote:Ok usually I bag ice hockey. I wouldnt mind getting into a new sport. Who should I go for as an international onlooker? What was the team that Gretsky played for? Thats about all I know...

"The Great One" originally played for the Edmonton Oilers and ended his career playing for the L.A Kings I believe.....keep an eye on the original 6 teams........Toronto Maple Leafs(best team :wink: ),Detroit Red Wings,Boston Bruins,New York Rangers,Chicago Blackhawks and worst of all Montreal Canadiens.........enjoy.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........
ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Shawn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:25 pm

allblacks wrote:Ok usually I bag ice hockey. I wouldnt mind getting into a new sport. Who should I go for as an international onlooker? What was the team that Gretsky played for? Thats about all I know...

Gretzky retired in 1999 and recently lost his coaching job with the Phoenix Coyotes. I suppose a good place to start for videos and the teams would be nhl.com

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 pm

go leafs go and the beginning of the Brian Burke era... make way for "The Monster" and the only person who will score goals for the team, Phil Kessel (once he comes of IR)!!
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby allblacks » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:01 pm

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1eWkqTmlXM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1eWkqTmlXM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Jesus shit!
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:13 am

That's a kid with a backyard rink and a GPA of like 1.0.

Great find Abs! Who knew you were a fan of puck! :cheers:

Awesome goal, but try that in a game and you'll be working the gate for a few games. (thats the dog house, down the end, all you do is open the gate and close it for people to come off the ice.)
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Shawn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:51 pm

That was one hell of a shot. What did he do exactly? Lift the puck on the tip of his stick and fling it into the net?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:16 pm

He put the puck on end, cupped it in the flat of the blade and brought it up, then did the ol Savardian spin-o-rama and flicked it lacross style into the net.

Wonder if they use the shoulder or cross bar rule for high sticking in the juniors? If its the cross bar this kid might be safe heheh..

Puts Alex's 50th to shame if you ask me heheheh :rotfl:

Maybe he should have done the hot stick routine after he scored hahahahahaha...
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:20 pm

On the bottom of that Youtube clip there is another clip that I clicked... check these goals out... (though I am sure that those picking the puck up on the blade of the stick becomes illegal once you bring the blade over your shoulder.)

[youtube]my7Q6aWsDbc&feature=player_embedded#[/youtube]
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby behan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKwI24V ... _embedded#
Kingston Frontenacs wear custom one night only Don Cherry style hockey jerseys to honour the military. The Jersey's are up for auction at the frontenacs website: http://www.kingstonfrontena... Mi...
behan
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 am

Cheers for that Behan!

Love the Jerseys... I think Grapes designed em! God plaid!

Don had another sweet tie on :lol: That would wow em in classes eh? They'll stop asking where in America I am from I think.

Now maybe this is me, and not seeing Hockey for a few years... but Grapes has lost some pounds... Hope he's doing alright.
Sometimes you agreed with em, sometimes you thought he was a complete moron, but he knows hockey! :luck: Grapes!
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Shawn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:47 am

Grapes annoys the hell out of me. :FU: He was interesting for a while, but his rants against foreign players and anybody who wasn't big and physical, got tiresome very quickly. Go away, old man. Nobody wants to hear about your Boston Bruins anymore. That said, I think he's aging well.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Classy hockey fans

Unread postby Shawn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Scott Niedermayer tries to give his stick to a girl in the stands... :box:  

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Now I know people get frustrated but... come ON... STOP trying to break your stick on the goal... break it on the boards, or better yet, your own head. Hell a nice two hander STRAIGHT down would do the trick on ANY stick.

Ballard is a moron...

Love the comment on TSN... Good thing he got him with the first one and missed with the second swing... yup!
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Shawn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Ballard is a moron...

What a dumbass. :ack:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 am

Bring on Olympic hockey! :cheers: Don't know how time Roberto Luongo will get in net (probably next to none), but he's been playing well of late.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Time to revive this thread. The season ends tomorrow. The Canucks finished up with a 7-3 drubbing of the Flames. Henrick Sedin is the NHL scoring leader at the moment with 112. Oven Chicken :D is only 3 points behind and plays tomorrow.

The Sedins are monsters. They were criticized for being pushovers and not physical enough. They've grown into top class players. They're stronger, and they dig in the corners and stand in the front of the net to screen the goalie. :clap: They have talent and grit. Hendrick leads the league in points, and his brother, Daniel, may have been right up there with him (he has a career best 85pts) had he not missed 18 games to injury this season.

Look at this sweet, sweet goal:

First, what an amazing tip-pass from Hank. Second, what an incredible move to put the puck in the net. Unreal! :wnw:

What do you think of Vancouver's chances for the playoffs? Solid team, but they're biggest weaknesses are defense and Luongo's inconsistency. If they play well, the Canucks should be able to get into the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby behan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I love the NHL commercial where some guy says a couple of Swedish twins are going to come to their room and the Sedins show up. They think they are going to get some hot babes but two hockey players walk in. ( At least I think it was the Sedins)
behan
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby chimpsky » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Vancouver seems like a team of destiny this season with the success hosting the Olympics and all the Canadian pride behind them. They could very well be that sleeper team to bring the cup back to Canada after years in the States. The team has the one key component that most teams don't: goaltending... Luongo's a stud and has that Olympic Gold to prove it, plus all that other playoff experience. I know I will be rooting for them all through the playoffs.... I "Hart" Henrik!
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Shawn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 am

Vancouver meets the LA Kings in the first round. The playoff matches look like this:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 Washington v. No. 8 Montreal

No. 2 New Jersey v. No. 7 Philadelphia

No. 3 Buffalo v. No. 6 Boston

No. 4 Pittsburgh v. No. 5 Ottawa

WESTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 San Jose v. No. 8 Colorado

No. 2 Chicago v. No. 7 Nashville

No. 3 Vancouver v. No. 6 Los Angeles

No. 4 Phoenix vs. No. 5 Detroit

Not sure about Vancouver's chances, though. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so I'm just going to say Vancouver in 6. :luck:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby behan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Do you have any suggestions ($$$) for players to pick for playoff hockey pools? Any suggestion$ would be greatly appre$iated. :)
behan
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Shawn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 am

behan wrote:Do you have any suggestions ($$$) for players to pick for playoff hockey pools? Any suggestion$ would be greatly appre$iated. :)

Me? Sorry, no. I've never been into hockey pools. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Great goal scorers can be shut down or not perform as expected while some 3rd or 4th liner picks up his play and becomes the hero. You're going to have to look at each team and pick for yourself. I suppose Crosby and Malkin are automatic picks. On the Canucks, the Sedins are bankable. They were a point-a-game players in the playoffs last year. The Canucks also have 6 20+ goal scorers this year, so they figure to be good choices for a hockey pool. Ultimately, you're going to have to think about which teams are going to go all the way. Picking in the Eastern division might be easier, but it could be anybody from the West. I think all of the western teams in the playoffs finished with over 100pts this season.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:51 am

The Canucks take Game 1 with a 3-2 victory in OT. :clap: Vancouver peppered LAK goalie Jonathan Quick with 44 shots, but the guy played a hell of a game. The series may go the distance if the Canucks can't break Quick.

Gotta love those Sedins scoring on the rush!

Desperation save by Luongo in OT!

Welcome to the playoffs, Drew Doughty! :smash:

Samuelsson with the game winner!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Damn, Vancouver loses Game 2, 3-2 in OT. :cry: Quick was awesome again. He stoned the Canucks several times. The forwards need to break Quick or this series will go 7 games.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:14 pm

We're a Game 4 and the series is somehow tied 2-2. The Kings refuse to die, but the Canucks aren't doing much, either. After getting owned in Game 3, the Canucks gritted out a win in Game 4. That said, the Canucks penalty killing is killing them. LA is 9/16 in the series. Brutal. :ack: Luongo hasn't been consistent, but he's turned up to make the big saves. At least he did that in Game 4. Tough series. It looks like it'll go 7 games. GO CANUCKS! :clap:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 pm

I still say it will be the Nucks who will grind it out in the end.... hard to bet against the experience in goal despite the inconsistency... Quick will fold like a lawn chair and I can hopefully see one Canadian team advance past the first round this year!
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Shawn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 pm

chimpsky wrote:I still say it will be the Nucks who will grind it out in the end.... hard to bet against the experience in goal despite the inconsistency... Quick will fold like a lawn chair and I can hopefully see one Canadian team advance past the first round this year!

I hope you're right. It was a heart-stopper of a game--LAK's power play scored every time, and the lead changed several times, with the Canucks finally getting the win. Maybe the momentum has shifted.

The game winning goal. How about that crowd? They were playing in LA and its sounds like Vancouver was the home team.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 am

Now this is what I'm taking about. The Canucks put a beating on the Kings to take a 3-2 lead in the series. :clap: They can end the series later this afternoon. This is the way I was expecting them to play at the outset.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Shawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Vancouver wins 4-2 to take the series in 6 games! :clap: The solid effort by the Canucks. They were outplayed for the first 2 periods, but thanks to Luongo, he gave them a chance to win with saves like this:

If that shot goes in, it's 2-0 Kings. After he makes that stop, the Canucks score. Bring on Round 2. A lot of people are hoping it's the Blackhawks so that it'll be a rematch from last year. :box:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sports