Seen the scammers trying to sell Engrish schools?

A means of networking for Eikaiwa/English school owners and information for setting up a business in Japan (procedures, legal issues, etc.)
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
moccachino
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: Seen the scammers trying to sell Engrish schools?

Unread post by moccachino » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 am

I actually had some conversations with this school owner by email last year. I was worried about the future post Korea and wanted to go straight in to another job because I knew it would be difficult back home. His name is Joshua Jones (at least that's what he said on the email), he's American and he seemed nice.

The problem was I was negotiating from a position of weakness. If I had already been in Japan on a visa of some kind I would have had more bargaining power. But what I was trying to do was come back and get employed by him before taking over his school. He would have been open to it but he was asking far too much. I was shown financial statements by email as well as other info, and as I worked for some time for a similar sized eikaiwa in the past and had access to its records because I was the only teacher there and the owner wasn't in Japan a lot of the time, I knew that JJ's accounting was out of kilter.

He put too big a ticket on it. The school wasn't worth 38,000 US and he wouldn't budge from considering below 25,000 US PLUS payments each month. The demand for payments each month killed my interest. :bang: I would have given him 15,000 US outright in cash for the school and visa sponsorship. That was a great deal as far as I was concerned but he still wanted his finger in the pie, mostly I suppose because he wanted me to fund his European study.

He couldn't accept that his small eikaiwa wasn't a 'brand', and he tried to brush off my knowledge of how small eikaiwa run and how much they cost to run. I wouldn't have needed his 'curriculum' as I have spent quite some time creating curricula and understanding what texts suit what levels etc in Japan. He put a hefty price tag on everything that you can get in Japan cheaper and newer. His furnishings were another thing - they wouldn't have been missed if he had taken them with him as I know how to get good, cheap furnishings in Japan.

Another big problem was the building owned by his mother in law. You can't beat getting married to an Asian because it gives you so much leverage over others who aren't. JJ got the building for free but I would have had to pay the key money to his Mother in Law. Even now I feel peeved that I couldn't come to an arrangement with him. I don't think he was dishonest in the real sense although he was clearly out to wring every last cent he could get - I think I could have done business with him if he had been less greedy and had not assumed that people like me didn't know what he was doing.

I suspect my 15,000 US is the best he could have done. From hearsay I think he ended up selling it to a fellow Christian and I still don't think that person would have paid what I was prepared to.

Raelene
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by Raelene » Sun May 20, 2012 12:19 am

A few years ago I went on a date with a Canadian guy. He told me he had something to show me. He took me to his school (a tiny room in a seedy, low-rent area) and .... tried to sell it to me! Needless to say, our first date was our last. :D
[i]"Bored and decided to try her hand at a bit of trolling. Not the worst I have seen either by any means."[/i]

stone
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by stone » Mon May 21, 2012 12:26 am

moccachino wrote:I actually had some conversations with this school owner by email last year. I was worried about the future post Korea and wanted to go straight in to another job because I knew it would be difficult back home. His name is Joshua Jones (at least that's what he said on the email), he's American and he seemed nice.

The problem was I was negotiating from a position of weakness. If I had already been in Japan on a visa of some kind I would have had more bargaining power. But what I was trying to do was come back and get employed by him before taking over his school. He would have been open to it but he was asking far too much. I was shown financial statements by email as well as other info, and as I worked for some time for a similar sized eikaiwa in the past and had access to its records because I was the only teacher there and the owner wasn't in Japan a lot of the time, I knew that JJ's accounting was out of kilter.

He put too big a ticket on it. The school wasn't worth 38,000 US and he wouldn't budge from considering below 25,000 US PLUS payments each month. The demand for payments each month killed my interest. :bang: I would have given him 15,000 US outright in cash for the school and visa sponsorship. That was a great deal as far as I was concerned but he still wanted his finger in the pie, mostly I suppose because he wanted me to fund his European study.

He couldn't accept that his small eikaiwa wasn't a 'brand', and he tried to brush off my knowledge of how small eikaiwa run and how much they cost to run. I wouldn't have needed his 'curriculum' as I have spent quite some time creating curricula and understanding what texts suit what levels etc in Japan. He put a hefty price tag on everything that you can get in Japan cheaper and newer. His furnishings were another thing - they wouldn't have been missed if he had taken them with him as I know how to get good, cheap furnishings in Japan.

Another big problem was the building owned by his mother in law. You can't beat getting married to an Asian because it gives you so much leverage over others who aren't. JJ got the building for free but I would have had to pay the key money to his Mother in Law. Even now I feel peeved that I couldn't come to an arrangement with him. I don't think he was dishonest in the real sense although he was clearly out to wring every last cent he could get - I think I could have done business with him if he had been less greedy and had not assumed that people like me didn't know what he was doing.

I suspect my 15,000 US is the best he could have done. From hearsay I think he ended up selling it to a fellow Christian and I still don't think that person would have paid what I was prepared to.
Here he is: http://www.linkedin.com/in/joshuanjones

And, here is the school he founded/sold: http://www.zoecafe.net/