JPY100,000 to hang out with the elderly!

A means of networking for Eikaiwa/English school owners and information for setting up a business in Japan (procedures, legal issues, etc.)
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

JPY100,000 to hang out with the elderly!

Unread post by quato » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 am

http://www.japantoday.com/category/life ... an-economy
Eyeing the needs of Japan’s affluent but desolate elderly, Yoshihiko Katsuya, 48, also left major electronics maker Fujitsu Ltd. to set up his own non-medical senior concierge service in 2005.

His company Sunnyside targets only the wealthy—mostly aged widows or divorcees—who can afford his basic hourly charge of 6,000 yen or a day charge of 100,000 yen for companionship during meals, shopping and traveling.
‘‘Before, Japanese families did not have the notion that you can borrow other people’s hands to take care of your own parents,’’ said Akira Ishihata, Duskin’s Home Instead division manager.

‘‘But the idea that you can actually buy service to enrich your time is starting to catch on even in Japan,’’ Ishihata said.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Re: JPY100,000 to hang out with the elderly!

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 am

Sounds awesome! I home stayed with a very elderly couple (him 91 her 79) for about 6 months when I first went off to Uni and between his advanced dementia and her obsessive compulsive disorders it was the best dam entertainment I’ve ever had.

Having lived for a year in an apartment behind a temple that has a huge market day once a month though, I’ve got to say that surfing against the wave of little bulldog obasans coming up the subway stairs wasn’t much fun. I’m sure I called out for my mummy on more than one occasion as I was pinned to the wall and being physically and verbally bollocked. :bdh:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Japan is the country of hostess bars, paid dates, and geisha in the old skool days. I generally don't like making generalizations like this, but remunerated companionship schemes seem to be the norm.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:...remunerated companionship schemes seem to be the norm.
hey! leave eikaiwa out of this! :wink:

enjo-kosai is always trippy. To see some young thing dressed nice and slutty with her arm looped through a sad sack 60+ year- old's arm... well, it's creepy. Why not just bear a badge on your Chanel purse that says, "I'm getting paid 50,000 en to laugh at this lecher''s jokes. Oh, I have to fuck him later too.... which, apparently, is something I'm OK with." It wouldn't seem so bad if it weren't so blant, obvious and in-your-face.

You're exactly right, TTT, paid companionship is the norm and nobody thinks it's odd. Hey, "different culture, different customs."

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:44 pm

In The Know wrote:
Tall Tall Tree wrote:...remunerated companionship schemes seem to be the norm.
hey! leave eikaiwa out of this! :wink:

enjo-kosai is always trippy. To see some young thing dressed nice and slutty with her arm looped through a sad sack 60+ year- old's arm... well, it's creepy. Why not just bear a badge on your Chanel purse that says, "I'm getting paid 50,000 en to laugh at this lecher's jokes. Oh, I have to fuck him later too.... which, apparently, is something I'm OK with." It wouldn't seem so bad if it weren't so blatant and in-your-face."
You're exactly right, TTT, paid companionship is the norm and nobody thinks it's odd. Hey, "different culture, different customs