Starting Your Own English School in Japan.

A means of networking for Eikaiwa/English school owners and information for setting up a business in Japan (procedures, legal issues, etc.)
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Starting Your Own English School in Japan.

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Just had a quick re-read over this thread as I'm basically starting again in a new area, new school name,...my current school will close at the end of the month and take some of the remaining students to the new location.

As I'll be in a bigger better location (busier two station 駅前 ) compared to my neighbourhood school of 13 years I want to charge more...

My old school was just a rented ex-juku classroom of about 20-jou tatami size. only paid the rent per hour. so there were no overheads at all.
I didn't charge entrance fees, annual fees, copy fees, bullshit fees...

BUT, will put them on the price list at the new school. (can always offer discounts then or cut them if it will seal a deal).

Interested to see what rates everybody has with a private school.

All I need to worry about is SHANE and I know their price list is complicated. I just have to look cheaper than them and I should be fine.

Current rates at my old school:
50 minute group 6000 kids, 7500 adults.
semi-private 9000 50 minutes
private 23000 for 80 minutes

Also what do you pay your part time teachers? I'll need a few and plan on a starting salary of 3000 per hour minimum...but not too keen on paying much for transport unless they live close...

Not many teachers out there though as I put in one ad and got bugger all responses.

I tried to bring in teachers at the old school but each time the students wanted me to teach. This time I want teachers to be there on standby and use them from the beginning.... I only want to continue teaching my current students. new teachers for new students.

:bang:

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am

Great info here. Holy crap Keppers, 23,000 for a private lesson? Thats some sheik shit. Is that still the go here in post-apocalyptic 2017?

Guessing with this April 2018 labour law about to scythe thru the Uni workforce, there'll be more wee schools opening? Thinking of doing it myself although pathological laziness would preclude me from doing such an organized job as Samhain. Children? wft. Fuck them. Little wankers. Adults too. They can get fucked. Never liked 'em. Can't I just open a record shop? "Get Off My Lawn Records"

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am

SamhainP8 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 pm

We plan on being here for about 5 more years and if that goes as planned I'll be 40 when we move back. :ack:
I just re-read the entire interesting thread after seeing it had been updated and found the above comment intriguing since it was made 5 years ago.

If you are still out there, now 40 year old Samhain, how goes it with the school? You painted a very nice picture of it and I'm curious how the story unfolded after 2012 (well I hope).
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 pm

senseiman wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am
If you are still out there, now 40 year old Samhain, how goes it with the school? You painted a very nice picture of it and I'm curious how the story unfolded after 2012 (well I hope).
I don't want to be "that guy" who answers questions for other people, but in case Sam doesn't reply with more details (because I'm not sure he haunts this board anymore), I believe he went home a couple of years back.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 pm
senseiman wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am
I don't want to be "that guy" who answers questions for other people, but in case Sam doesn't reply with more details (because I'm not sure he haunts this board anymore), I believe he went home a couple of years back.
Ah bummer. I was hoping to hear that the school had gone so well that he scrapped plans to go back and settled here permanently or something. Wherever he is, hope he is doing well.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。