Selling an Eikaiwa

A means of networking for Eikaiwa/English school owners and information for setting up a business in Japan (procedures, legal issues, etc.)
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
eikaiwa

Selling an Eikaiwa

Unread post by eikaiwa » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi all,

I have been thinking about returning 'home' recently and part of that process would be deciding what to do with my little English school. I've read a few posts on the forum calling foreigners selling English schools as scammers but I would like to see what you all think.

Starting an English school may be easy but it certainly is expensive. The most expensive up front cost is securing a location - real estate agent fees, key money etc... After that, it takes a a year or two to build student numbers to up to the point where the main teacher gets a salary. So I see selling as a reasonable option.

Has anyone been through something similar, either buying or selling? Any advice?

Have a a great week!

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Selling an Eikaiwa

Unread post by T.D. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm sure a few people here know and have been through this before or can refer you to someone who's been through this. Good luck!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Selling an Eikaiwa

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:24 pm

I wouldn`t use the word scam, but I would advise anyone looking to buy a small scale English school to be wary. The fact is that with most of those places the main business asset is the owner him/herself. Because of the personal nature of the business the subsequent owner faces a huge risk that an unknown number of students view themselves as students of the former owner rather than as students of the "school" itself, and may simply quit once he or she leaves.

I would say that any price one would pay for a school would have to be heavily discounted to reflect this risk.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。