Generic printer ink cartridges work!

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Generic printer ink cartridges work!

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am

I know manufacturers for all intents and purposes "give away" the printer but then hold you hostage for the life of it with the extortion prices of their proprietary printer ink cartridges. I got tired of paying $25 for a small black cartridge that lasted for 80-100 pages. Doing some research, I took a chance on a budget, no-name brand of cartridges on Amazon. I got all four colors and two black ink cartridges for $12. I had to rub my eyes in disbelief before I ordered. The reviews were plentiful and solid-- averaging about 4.5/5 stars so I thought 'What the hell. It's a $12 gamble.'

Verdict: They came, they fit, they work perfectly. That's my experience with them anyway. For years those fargin' cartridges have been a real racket. Fuck Epson now.

Any LJ'ers out there with similar-- or contrary-- experience with no-name cartridges?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: Generic printer ink cartridges work!

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42 am

Mate... Good thread!

I did even better the other day. Amazon again of course but 4 of them for 245 yen.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00JOAZURU/ ... TE_3p_dp_1

I took a chance as well and ordered 10 sets. The company has excellent feedback. I really don't think I'll regret it. And yes! Fuck the printer companies.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:06 am

My parents have gone the refill route through Costco. They have a Canon printer. The only downside is that you no longer know how much ink is left in the tank, but when a refill is half the price of a regular cartridge, who cares? I have an Epson printer and am considering going the generic route. I only need to really print out the occasional document. It's better to use a photo service and create a book or something if you want to print out photos.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:10 am

allblacks wrote:
I took a chance as well and ordered 10 sets. The company has excellent feedback. I really don't think I'll regret it
Based on my experience I don't think you'll regret it. As I said, mine worked fine-- at about a 90% savings! This just goes to show much the profit margin must be for the manufacturer's cartridges. If the no-name cartridge maker can sell them and make money....

Men's shaving blades are another racket. Five blades for U.S. $20 is the norm. Fed up with that, I finally went old school single-edge safety razor. 100 blades for $11 on Amazon! There is a bit of a learning curve to shaving like our grandfathers did, but I mastered it! :clap: (Oh, I watched a You Tube video on the proper way to shave with the old safety razor. Yes, You Tube tutorial videos for this exist!) :lol:

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 am

I have the cheapest canon which I refill. There was a bit of a learning curve but nothing too steep - now I never have an issue or even get my fingers dirty. When the print head on the cartridge wears out - After about a year or so of medium to heavy use then I buy a new printer. This is because a new printer costs about a 1,000 Yen less than a set of cartridges. Nuts but that's how it is, so I get a new printer once a year or so.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.