Windows 10?

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Windows 10?

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Tue May 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Currently using Windows 7.
Thinking about going to Windows 10.
Apparently there are privacy concerns that I read about on another thread.Anyone else have or had any other concerns/problems with the system?
Any comments welcome.Good and bad.
Thanks.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: Windows 10?

Unread post by In The Know » Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 pm

ShonaiBen wrote:Currently using Windows 7.
Thinking about going to Windows 10.
Apparently there are privacy concerns that I read about on another thread.Anyone else have or had any other concerns/problems with the system?
Any comments welcome.Good and bad.
Thanks.
Good question. Wow... where to begin. I had used Windows 7 for years, then 8.1 for a year. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out and used it for about a year. It was OK and rarely crashed. I think it is stable. About three months ago I switched to Ubunu (Linux) and will never go back to Windows. I love Linux.

Everyone's big concern regarding Windows 10 is MS abusing your privacy, especially with what they access, share, and retain. The default settings in Windows 10 need to be gone through from day one! DO NOT choose the "Express Install" if you do decide to try Windows 10. Do the "custom install" instead and click off the many toggle boxes that MS has "helpfully" put in the "on" position out of the box. Think I am exaggerating? Just Google "Windows 10 privacy concerns" and see the articles and information available. Here is just one to get you started-- and alarm you. Have a read. Good luck! :luck:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _them.html

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 am

I can't speak to privacy concerns (ironic seeing as I worked into network security for the better part of a decade) but I'm writing this on a window 10 box. I've had almost no problems but the 4 that I've had were driver issues. An NVIDIA driver update BSOD'd my machine twice. First time I lost some functionality so I did a roll back. Was easy, as easy as clicking 3 or 4 buttons if I recall correctly, and took about 2 hours. Next time it happened I didn't lose any functionality. Just BSOD and a restart. Not sure who is at fault, MS or NVIDIA. Also had similar issues with my logicool webcam. Twice turning it on has BSOD my machine. Just restarts and no other serious issues. Again, from the error message I got, it appears to be a driver issue. Again not sure if MS or Logicool are at fault. To be fair, the webcam is old but I so rarely use it, just in Skype calls with my parents and occasionally with a client, that I don't see a need to replace it yet. If this keeps happening though then I will have to I guess.

Other than that, it is very stable, I've had no other issues to speak of and I like its functionality. I like the music player (different to Win7 but same as win8), I like the notifications functionality (for example, it's linked to Line chat so I get notifications on my machine so can reply directly with the Line app and not use the phone), and there's not much else I can say really. Is stable, works great, didn't cost me anything....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

......appreciate the replies lads.
Still researching before I commit........thanks!

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Also remember the offer to upgrade for free will end soonish (can't remember exactly when) after that you'll have to pay for it, or obtain it through more nefarious means.

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Tue May 10, 2016 1:56 pm

lordCONAN wrote:Also remember the offer to upgrade for free will end soonish (can't remember exactly when) after that you'll have to pay for it, or obtain it through more nefarious means.
........as far I know you can upgrade for free until the end of july.......nefarious means?........will get back to you on that if needed.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Tue May 10, 2016 11:58 pm

lordCONAN wrote:Also remember the offer to upgrade for free will end soonish (can't remember exactly when) after that you'll have to pay for it, or obtain it through more nefarious means.
Upgrade by late July or it's $119 to buy/install Windows 10 after that.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/wind ... 36312.html

I think MS has beat the sharing/piracy game for Windows OS. Also, read the fine print EULA (end user license agreement) and you'll see that everything you do on WIndows 10 is beamed back to Redmond. :shock: :guns:

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun May 15, 2016 7:31 pm

In The Know wrote:you'll see that everything you do on WIndows 10 is beamed back to Redmond. :shock: :guns:
Which is why I refuse to update.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon May 16, 2016 6:58 am

Why'd I get quoted saying that! I didn't say that!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed May 18, 2016 8:12 am

Guys... I edited the above post to correctly display the quote. Hope you like.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon May 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Holy crapfuck. Walked away from my desk at work for five minutes on Friday, came back to find that Microsoft had taken over my computer and was upgrading to Windows 10 without any sort of permission or action on my part. Took about 2 hours to complete, which was lost time at work for me. Fuck I hate Microsoft, that has got to be the most obnoxious thing ever (came home to discover the same thing had happened on my home computer, guess they just decided to fuck every computer up that day).

Oh and now that I have this thing that I didn`t want, I have the joy of discovering that I fucking hate it. Why the fuck does Microsoft have to rearrange everything - for absolutely no reason - whenever they updgrade something? It is like the equivalent of a keyboard maker deciding that every time they release a new keyboard they are going to randomly re-arrange all the letters on it and make users spend hours re-learning how to type for no benefit at all other than the continued ability to use their computer.

Fuck you microsoft, you are the shittiest bags of shit on the planet. ANd where the fuck is Spider Solitaire? HOLY FUCK, no Spider Solitaire? Fuck you again, Microsoft.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Windows 10 force feeding the reluctant

Unread post by In The Know » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm

senseiman wrote:Walked away from my desk at work for five minutes on Friday, came back to find that Microsoft had taken over my computer and was upgrading to Windows 10 without any sort of permission or action on my part. Took about 2 hours to complete, which was lost time at work for me. (came home to discover the same thing had happened on my home computer, guess they just decided to fuck every computer up that day).
MS started doing that (involuntary insertion of Windows 10 on owners' PC's after noticing a lot of people were happy to stay with Windows 7 and not upgrading to 10. This is important: The default installation has your PC seeding other Windows 10 installs around the world-- yes, using your bandwidth). You can turn it off (and should), but it's not the easiest thing to find. That is just one of the many things 10 does that are intrusive. That was the last straw for me (me seeding their product). I looked into Linux and went with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I love it. A small learning curve, but it does everything I want, it's free, it's secure, and they never force anything on you! I was happy enough with MS through Windows 7 but then they got stupid and greedy and I bolted. :bye:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am

senseiman wrote:Holy crapfuck. Walked away from my desk at work for five minutes on Friday, came back to find that Microsoft had taken over my computer and was upgrading to Windows 10 without any sort of permission or action on my part.
That's what you get for not paying attention. :wink: My father-in-law's PC got taken over like this. Somehow, my own parents, through their random clickings, have managed to avoid this fate. I willfully updated to Windows 10 on my soon-to-be-replaced laptop just to see what the fuss was about. :rope:

The amount of junk you have to turn off is unreal. I'm sure I griped about Windows 8 here and those complaints apply to Windows 10. Sure, the OS appears to be very stable, but why push all that tiled crap at users? (OK, I think I do know: a ham-fisted attempt at bringing a unified Windows experience to all devices, which would explain why I now have Xbox settings on my computer. WTF?)

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue May 24, 2016 11:35 am

Oh man, there is just so much not to like. They are using my computer to infect other computers with this garbage? So Windows 10 is basically malware?

And yeah, WTF is up with all this X Box shit? Don`t have an X Box, don`t want an X Box and sure as shit am not going to open an X Box account or whatever the fuck it is they expect me to do now that I have X Box shit all over the fucking place. In fact, fuck everything, I am going out right now and buying a PS4. Don`t want one of those either but will gladly give money to a Microsoft rival just to spite them.

Other complaints:
No basic games (solitaire, etc) unless you go through their fucking online store or whatever. Fuck that.
I can no longer put my computer into sleep mode. I have only the option of turning it off completely or re-starting it. Why, Microsoft, why? This just fucking makes no sense at all.
What is with all the extra opening windows when you start up?
Programs are now called applications (in Japanese at least). Fuck you.
Those obnoxious, smarmy opening screens when the update that you didn`t ask for and has taken hours away from you finally installs. All black with white lettering slowly revealing themselves to you`We have given you new features`, `Now, lets begin the experience` etc etc (rough translations, I got the Japanese one). Its so obnoxious, about the equivalent of someone who has just cut in line ahead of you in a busy check out at a grocery store then turning around and - slowly - telling you how important he is and how lucky you are to have had him butt into your life and waste some of your time, because he is so special.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue May 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Whoa, dude, lot's of hate. You have options if you don't like it. Mac or Ubuntu. I'm not an MS fanboi in the least but I've used all three systems (Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu) and Windows does the best job out of the three for various reasons. In some ways, like it or hate it, I have to use Windows as most of my work and other software only runs on Windows. Yeah, I could do bootcamp or what-not on Mac/Ubuntu, but what's the point? You don't get a Mac for the hardware. Anyway, I've used Win 10 since about October last year (I waited for a few months before upgrading cause this is my work box so couldn't spare the downtime if something went wrong, which usually happens when software is first released; I waited for MS to fix most of the bugs).
senseiman wrote: And yeah, WTF is up with all this X Box shit? Don`t have an X Box, don`t want an X Box and sure as shit am not going to open an X Box account or whatever the fuck it is they expect me to do now that I have X Box shit all over the fucking place. In fact, fuck everything, I am going out right now and buying a PS4. Don`t want one of those either but will gladly give money to a Microsoft rival just to spite them.
Hmmmm. Dunno. Haven't noticed it. Maybe it's there but clearly not as intrusive on my box as yours seeing as I haven't noticed it (and no I don't have an X-box).
senseiman wrote:No basic games (solitaire, etc) unless you go through their fucking online store or whatever. Fuck that.
LOL. Complaining about not getting free stuff? Ooooookay.
senseiman wrote:I can no longer put my computer into sleep mode. I have only the option of turning it off completely or re-starting it.
Nope. I've got mine set to go to sleep (after 10 minutes of inactivity I think) but click the Start button and then 電源 and you'll see スリープ.
senseiman wrote:What is with all the extra opening windows when you start up?
No idea what you talking about. Mine boots into the lock screen and that's it.

At the expense of sounding like a know-it-all dick, when I upgraded to Win8 I initially didn't like the new start screen/no start button, but it took me all of one morning to figure out how to access my programs/use the new GUI and set it up how I like it. I dig the hate when it comes to new things--nobody likes change when they have to learn something new--but it really wasn't that complicated. Anyway, Start button is back now and behaves similar (although personally I think better) than the old Win7 and earlier start button.

And I dig the hate with being forced to upgrade and updates, but I turned that shit off. Not perfect as I think my PC will eventually restart if I don't do it manually, but it reminds me a few times first, and then at the end of the day I just turn it off or restart it. I generally leave mine on (ok, it goes to sleep but in an un-restarted state) for days or more at a time and I eventually need to restart it anyway to fix any issues (memory bleed, other errors).

I think it works fine and I'm happy with it (hell, it's an OS so I'm not going to get excited by it; see the part where I mention I'm not a fanboi) but as I say you have options. Although funny how ppl say "Yeah but Mac and Ubuntu don't do what I need them to do" and call Windows, which does what they need it to do, shit. Rightly or wrongly, nothing, including software, is perfect. On a slight tangent, my Android phone (Galaxy S6) isn't perfect and sometimes does weird shit, but sure as shit kills an iPhail in my opinion/experience (I've had both). So hence I don't really bitch about it. It's a phone and 95% of the time does what I want it to do.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue May 24, 2016 4:10 pm

MacGyver wrote:Whoa, dude, lot's of hate.
Much of this is driven by the manner in which it was just automatically installed without my permission in the middle of a work day, causing me to lose valuable time, rather than to the features of the OS itself. While I`m sure there are options out there, my annoyance lies with the loss of time to me of having to learn about all of this stuff in the first place, all to just get back to using a system I understand as I did before.
MacGyver wrote: LOL. Complaining about not getting free stuff? Ooooookay.
Actually no. I am not complaining about not getting free stuff, I am complaining about having stuff I paid for taken away from me. The computer that I bought came with Windows 7 and had numerous games installed which I could and did casually play. Microsoft has stripped the computer that I bought and paid for of those features without my active consent. While I am sure that hidden away somewhere in the thousand page licensing agreement that you have no choice but to click `accept` to if you want to use your computer when you buy it there is language allowing Microsoft to do this, like most people I feel that I have a possessory interest in my computer which contractual language shouldn`t allow Microsoft to unilaterally strip me of.
MacGyver wrote:Nope. I've got mine set to go to sleep (after 10 minutes of inactivity I think) but click the Start button and then 電源 and you'll see スリープ.
Yup. On my computer when I click on 電源 I get two options, shutdown or re-start. There is no スリープ. This is only on my work computer, my home computer does have the スリープ option, so I know that not all users have this issue. I have no idea why that is, and I`m sure if I was willing to invest even more of my time trying to figure out where the problem is in my settings I could (and probably eventually will), but the point is prior to this upgrade I never had this problem and never had to waste my time doing stuff like that just to return the level of functionality of my computer to its Windows 7 level.
MacGyver wrote:
At the expense of sounding like a know-it-all dick, when I upgraded to Win8 I initially didn't like the new start screen/no start button, but it took me all of one morning to figure out how to access my programs/use the new GUI and set it up how I like it. I dig the hate when it comes to new things--nobody likes change when they have to learn something new--but it really wasn't that complicated. Anyway, Start button is back now and behaves similar (although personally I think better) than the old Win7 and earlier start button.

And I dig the hate with being forced to upgrade and updates, but I turned that shit off. Not perfect as I think my PC will eventually restart if I don't do it manually, but it reminds me a few times first, and then at the end of the day I just turn it off or restart it. I generally leave mine on (ok, it goes to sleep but in an un-restarted state) for days or more at a time and I eventually need to restart it anyway to fix any issues (memory bleed, other errors).

I think it works fine and I'm happy with it (hell, it's an OS so I'm not going to get excited by it; see the part where I mention I'm not a fanboi) but as I say you have options. Although funny how ppl say "Yeah but Mac and Ubuntu don't do what I need them to do" and call Windows, which does what they need it to do, shit. Rightly or wrongly, nothing, including software, is perfect. On a slight tangent, my Android phone (Galaxy S6) isn't perfect and sometimes does weird shit, but sure as shit kills an iPhail in my opinion/experience (I've had both). So hence I don't really bitch about it. It's a phone and 95% of the time does what I want it to do.
Yeah I know there are options, but the hate stems from the waste of my time. Like most people I don`t want to even be made aware of the fact that my computer has a thing called an operating system. I just want it (my computer) to respond to my commands in a predictable and efficient way. When they change the interface radically like this, it ceases to respond in that predictable and efficient way (from the user`s perspective) and instead renders all of the user`s previous knowledge of how to use it obsolete while requiring them to re-learn everything.

I fully understand that upgrades and changes can be beneficial and am not saying they should just freeze its design at the one I find personally convenient. But a consistent trend I have noticed in Microsoft products in general is that they seem to gratuitously re-arrange stuff in a way that produces no obvious benefit to the user and seems to be just for cosmetic purposes or purposes specific to Microsoft`s own needs. To me, upgrades should be designed in a way that minimizes this sort of disruption and optimizes the carry over of the user`s built up knowledge, but Microsoft always manages to just really do the opposite. This was really evident the last time they upgraded Word, but also in other products as well. As I am typing this for example, my screen keeps dimming every couple of minutes. I knew exactly how to deal with that on Windows 7, but when I do the same thing now it only restores the brightness temporarily and then goes back to being dim. I know there is a solution to this problem, but I am annoyed at the fact that I have to spend time learning how to solve a million of these god damn little things thanks to this stupid update.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm

senseiman wrote: This is only on my work computer
Do you not have an IT department? Lodge a ticket with them if you do. Although it doesn't sound like you do. Which self-respecting IT department would let an OS rollout like this happen on their watch.
senseiman wrote:Like most people I don`t want to even be made aware of the fact that my computer has a thing called an operating system. I just want it (my computer) to respond to my commands in a predictable and efficient way.
Unfortunately software ain't perfect. So yeah you're gonna notice it no matter how good it is.
senseiman wrote:When they change the interface radically like this, it ceases to respond in that predictable and efficient way (from the user`s perspective) and instead renders all of the user`s previous knowledge of how to use it obsolete while requiring them to re-learn everything.
Actually I find Windows 10 more efficient than the old Win7 and earlier tree. Less clicks to get to my shit, although you can put icons/shortcuts on your taskbar/desktop as before if you so desire (as I do).
senseiman wrote:But a consistent trend I have noticed in Microsoft products in general is that they seem to gratuitously re-arrange stuff in a way that produces no obvious benefit to the user and seems to be just for cosmetic purposes or purposes specific to Microsoft`s own needs.
I've worked in software (although to be honest not the design/programming side) and I know for a fact that users opinions are taken into account when new versions are pushed out. Complaints and questions cost companies money in terms of time and effort in dealing with them. I have never worked at MS (although I know those that have and doesn't sound good, at least not like a regular tech company) but I can't imagine they'd redesign their flagship product for shits and giggles. A redesign also costs a shit ton of money so I highly doubt they are redesigned it for their own narrow purposes. Without knowing for a fact, my guess is they tried to tie in user experience/what is best for users into what is best for them. Considering how many users they have, they're going to piss off a lot of people. And even though I found Win7 fairly stable/stable enough, Win8/10 certainly are more stable so that's an improvement. I think someone (Shawn I think?) said something like "stability, pffffft" but this is the epitome of not being "made aware of the fact that my computer has a thing called an operating system." If programs and the OS is crashing all the time or running slow/buggy etc., you sure as shit notice it, especially for work boxes. So I'd imagine a lot of the coding went into making it more stable.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

OS skull-fucking the masses

Unread post by In The Know » Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 pm

MacGyver wrote:I've worked in software (although to be honest not the design/programming side) and I know for a fact that users opinions are taken into account when new versions are pushed out.
It doesn't sound like MS contacted him saying "We're thinking about force-installing our new OS on your machine whether you ask for it or want it. Is that OK?"

I'm guessing senseiman's main bitch is that his PC is his. He paid for it. He owns it. It isn't "property of Microsoft to do with as they please." MS has no right to recklessly install an OS when they feel like it. It's not their machine!

Imagine if you woke up one morning and your new Toyota had an odd-shaped bulge on the roof. There is a note on your wind shield: "Dear user. Toyota Product Development Team here. We are installing XM/Sirius satellite radio antennas to all cars we sold in the past 5 years. If at some future point you decide you want to upgrade to satellite radio the antenna is now in place. Thank you!"

Now you have an odd bulge on your roof that you'll never use... because you didn't want it or ask for it! You would be rightly pissed with Toyota. :anger: Same scenario with this Windows 10 force-install fiasco.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed May 25, 2016 5:31 am

Yep, I said that Windows is more stable. It works. It works well. Why they changed the UI like that just doesn't.....compute with me.

Oh, and senseiman probably won't want to read this:Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

Executive summary: Even when you click the X to close the prompt that asks if you want to upgrade, Microsoft installs it anyway. :FU:

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed May 25, 2016 11:25 am

Doesn't it give you a grace period in which you can return to your previous version? I remember seeing that on a prompt somewhere. Probably bullshit, though.

And FWIW I agree with senseiman. It's his property. It should be up to him (all users for that matter) what he has, doesn't have on his computer. It's like the whole free U2 album fracas. The point wasn't that people didn't want the album, they just didn't want apple putting shit on their devices without asking.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: OS skull-fucking the masses

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed May 25, 2016 2:46 pm

In The Know wrote:I'm guessing senseiman's main bitch is that his PC is his. He paid for it. He owns it. It isn't "property of Microsoft to do with as they please." MS has no right to recklessly install an OS when they feel like it. It's not their machine!

Imagine if you woke up one morning and your new Toyota had an odd-shaped bulge on the roof. There is a note on your wind shield: "Dear user. Toyota Product Development Team here. We are installing XM/Sirius satellite radio antennas to all cars we sold in the past 5 years. If at some future point you decide you want to upgrade to satellite radio the antenna is now in place. Thank you!"

Now you have an odd bulge on your roof that you'll never use... because you didn't want it or ask for it! You would be rightly pissed with Toyota. :anger: Same scenario with this Windows 10 force-install fiasco.
Poor analogy. The hardware is his, (although his work machine isn't) and yes he can stick whatever he wants on it, although options are limited. MS isn't selling hardware (well, for the most part). But IMHO ownership of the OS is a bit of a gray area. Most ppl don't buy it. I certainly haven't bought an OS in 16 years (XP in 2000 would've been the last time). I agree it might be annoying--I planned my upgrade so there was no downtimes, issues, etc., which is really important seeing as this is my work box and I work for myself--but really I don't see it as a big thing. Better OS, takes less than a few hours to get it how you want it. There are also security issues. Win7 is getting on in years. And they'll EOL/EOS it soon enough anyway, so you really won't have much choice.

Sorry, I just see it as a first world problem. And like I said before, if you don't like it/want to protest, there is always Ubuntu/Mac/other options.

As for his work machine, the fact that he lost time is on his company, not MS. Last place I worked at we were still on XP, although when I left (2013) they were slowly rolling out Win7. All VERY controlled. OK, we were a big tech company and I have no idea about Senseiman's company, but still, that's on them. Alternatively, if they allow their employees to manage their own boxes, (mistake if so) then it's on Senseiman.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: OS skull-fucking the masses

Unread post by In The Know » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 pm

MacGyver wrote:The hardware is his, (although his work machine isn't) and yes he can stick whatever he wants on it, although options are limited.
You've made my point. The hardware is his and he can put whatever he wants on it. And he didn't want Windows 10. As to your other point, the cost for a license for an OS is built into every new PC (albeit cheaper than if you bought the OS DVD off the shelf). So, yes, we actually pay for it.

I've gone Linux Ubuntu and have never looked back. It may not be/work for everyone, but I love it.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu May 26, 2016 5:39 am

Shawn wrote:Oh, and senseiman probably won't want to read this:Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'
And a follow up: Microsoft U-turn on 'nasty trick' pop-up

From the artcle:
Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said it would add another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".
"Feedback" being :FU: :FU: :bs: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :anger:

I think this is what In The Know has been saying all along:
"Windows 10 update ran on my PC despite all my efforts to stop it, including dismissing the update several times and frantically trying to abort the installation as it started when I was halfway through writing an important e-mail.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu May 26, 2016 10:29 am

I used the task manager to kill the notification box last night. Am too scared to actually click anything within the box itself.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 am

For those that don't want it (includes roll-back):

http://download.cnet.com/blog/download- ... TREf2961de

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 am

MacGyver wrote: Do you not have an IT department? Lodge a ticket with them if you do. Although it doesn't sound like you do. Which self-respecting IT department would let an OS rollout like this happen on their watch.
I work at a national university. My complaint is `I hate this Windows 10 because it is wasting my time. (emphasis added)` Your response is to tell me to go and deliberately expose myself to the IT department of a Japanese national university to resolve this problem. We are clearly speaking at cross purposes here.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 27, 2016 1:11 pm

senseiman wrote:the IT department of a Japanese national university.
That does explain a lot....

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/home- ... a65a20bb5d

Like I've said before, I really do understand that it can be annoying. But I can't say I have sympathy, mainly because I very carefully managed the upgrade for my work machine (well, only machine, which is a major failing in my plans to stay up and running, but that's a different discussion) so I wouldn't miss work/have any issues. Of course if I carefully managed the upgrade, including the timing (some months after it came out to make sure the bugs had been ironed out) and time of day (night after I'd finished work for the day on a Friday so I'd have all weekend to resolve any issues; while I still work weekends, I rarely get emails from clients), and I still had major issues, then yes I would have been pissed. With my lack of empathy, I guess I now know what a Trump supporter feels like...

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sat May 28, 2016 2:22 am

senseiman wrote:I work at a national university. My complaint is `I hate this Windows 10 because it is wasting my time. (emphasis added)` Your response is to tell me to go and deliberately expose myself to the IT department of a Japanese national university to resolve this problem. We are clearly speaking at cross purposes here.
Pretty piss poor IT Dept, eh? The PCs they manage should be locked down to prevent OS upgrades until they've had a chance to make sure the upgrade doesn't affect the university's networks. It must be chaos where you work assuming that most staff are having the upgrade forced upon them.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat May 28, 2016 9:29 am

Shawn wrote:Pretty piss poor IT Dept, eh? The PCs they manage should be locked down to prevent OS upgrades until they've had a chance to make sure the upgrade doesn't affect the university's networks. It must be chaos where you work assuming that most staff are having the upgrade forced upon them.
Yep that was my point about the failed roll out. What happens if there are conflicts with software the uni uses or on the network? It potentially could shut the whole network down and/or many PCs. But clearly Senseiman's point is well made. Calling them an IT dept is a very loose definition of what an IT dept is....

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Forced Windows 10 install

Unread post by In The Know » Sat May 28, 2016 11:54 pm

I just read this today. Clearly MS has taken a slash-and-burn, carpet bomb, take-no-prisoners attitude toward getting Windows 10 out there. Their dumb ass "marketing" approach has only resulted in millions of pissed off users, like senseiman.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3075729/ ... -risk.html

A bit from the article: The only behaviour that could deny the Windows 10 upgrade before—closing the pop-up by pressing the X in the upper-right corner—now counts as consent for the upgrade, and worse, the upgrade installation can automatically begin even if you take no action whatsoever.