Make the switch to Ubuntu (Linux) and love it

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Make the switch to Ubuntu (Linux) and love it

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Over the years since the mid-80s I have used Mac OS through OS X 10.6, Windows from 95 to 10, and that was it. Last summer I tried Windows 10 and while it performed OK the more I read about the dastardly things MS does with users' privacy and how they ram updates down your throat (with no option to stop them), I started looking at Linux. Ive now been using Ubuntu 14.04 for awhile and eagerly await the LTS release of 16.04 on April 21. It's what an OS is supposed to be. Not much of a learning curve either. The UI is straight forward. A little tricky to get my printer working, but through online forum help I got that done. iTunes/iPod working on Linux is another issue. Still trying to get that done. I currently use Windows 7 on an older laptop I had lying around to maintain my iPod. Anyhoo, give Linux a shot. I tried Zorin 9 and Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon before settling on Ubuntu-- King of Linux distros! Almost any of the top 20 distros will work just fine. They're based on the same Linux kernel, after all.

To help you on your way:

http://distrowatch.com/

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Make the switch to Ubuntu (Linux) and love it

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:02 am

I've run different distros of linux on my main machine on and off over the years, but I always end up coming back to windows because of gaming performance and compatibility. If I wasn't into gaming, I would probably have no problem running a form of *nix, but as it is, it's just way too much effort for so little pay off.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:59 am

What about Steam for Linux? Does it lack the games you want?

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:49 pm

lordCONAN wrote:I've run different distros of linux on my main machine on and off over the years, but I always end up coming back to windows because of gaming performance and compatibility. If I wasn't into gaming, I would probably have no problem running a form of *nix, but as it is, it's just way too much effort for so little pay off.
I'm not a gamer at all so your argument doesn't apply to me. But I agree with you, if you do any serious gaming at all Windows is (unfortunately) the only OS in town.

What set me off to go with Linux was reading several articles and essays about Windows 10's invasive approach to privacy, user data, and its general spying on and retention of your information. Here (link below) is just one article addressing this. And the Cortana "feature" is a horror show of sifting through your personal info! I can't imagine anyone leaving this "helpful" app on after installing Windows 10. When installing definitely use the "custom install settings" and not the default "express install settings" that Microsoft "helpfully" provides you out of the box. :lol:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224616/30-ways ... ones-home/

And another similar article, but with some additional information, if you have 10 minutes to kill:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2489212,00.asp

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:30 am

Shawn wrote:What about Steam for Linux? Does it lack the games you want?
Unfortunately, while growing, the amount of games available on linux steam is still a fraction of what I wasted spent saved money on during steam sales.

As for privacy concerns with windows 10, I'm really not that bothered by it.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:44 am

While I like Linux, I have to agree that it will probably always lag behind in the gaming department (Mac, too). Windows is where it's at if you're a gamer.