SIM cards in Oz and Japanese smartphones

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

SIM cards in Oz and Japanese smartphones

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 pm

So I'm going home (to Perth) for 5 weeks in December/January and it'll be a working holiday for the most part, that is I plan to keep taking on translation projects/jobs while I am there and therefore it is essential that I have access to the Internet wherever I go, if nothing else, just for email. I can receive calls of course on my Android phone (au Samsung Galaxy S2), even though it's expensive, but that isn't an issue. And I usually use my dad's mobile phone to make calls/receive calls from friends while I am home so that isn't an issue either. But what is an issue is emails. Unfortunately my olds don't have wifi but that's not an issue when I am at home cause I can get emails on my PC. But what is an issue is I don't want to turn roaming data on cause even at the capped 1,500 yen a day, times that by 30 some odd days and we're starting to get exxy.

I tried getting a SIM card last time I was home with no luck but to be honest I didn't try very hard; basically asked at the airport rent-a-phone place and was told couldn't be done and left it at that. But as I say this time that isn't an option. So is renting a SIM possible to get data and receive calls on my Japan number? If not, what other options do I have? Renting an Oz based smartphone and setting up my email account on that and getting a pre-paid card for data? Anything else? As it's for work, I'm happy to pay, just don't want to pay 30,000 yen or more, which is what I would be looking at if I turn on data roaming. Ideally want to pay as little as possible hence the SIM card is probably the cheapest route if it's possible.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: SIM cards in Oz and Japanese smartphones

Unread post by Edogaijin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 pm

you can get good cheap deals on SIM cards at Woolies and Coles... ie $2 with free usage or very cheap plans and the sim card expires after a month etc... unfortunately none of them would work with Softbank phones.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 pm

Edogaijin wrote:unfortunately none of them would work with Softbank phones.
Just softbank or au as well?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Schizm
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Schizm » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:28 am

You need to get your phone unlocked. Softbank won't do it from what I hear.......Not sure about AU. Docomo does.

You could try doing it yourself. Some phones are quite easy. Others impossible. And there is always the risk of bricking your phone.
PaulH doesn't know much about anything.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Schizm wrote:You need to get your phone unlocked. You could try doing it yourself. Some phones are quite easy. Others impossible. And there is always the risk of bricking your phone.
Cheers, I'll look into it. Yeah I hear ya on the bricking phone thingo. I have an old iPhail (3GS) that is no longer hooked up to Softbank. I wonder if jailbreaking it would do the trick? Of course I wouldn't be able to receive calls from Japan but I wouldn't need to as I'd have my au Android but conceivably I could unlock it and turn it into an Aussie phone once I get a pre-paid card/SIM? That way I could make and receive calls in Oz at local rates as well as text and receive emails over the mobile network, which is the whole point in the first place. At least that's the theory....

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Not sure if OZ is like the US but most places I went to in the US had free wireless. I couldn't receive calls but I could make them (with Skype) and use the internet easily. I got off the plane in San Francisco and was able to use the free wifi to call my dad on Skype without issues.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:05 pm

inflames wrote:Not sure if OZ is like the US but most places I went to in the US had free wireless.
I dunno how much free wifi there is to be honest, although when I was home last, it was certainly more than Japan but not everywhere unfortunately. Plus I need email access pretty much no matter where I am hence I need access over a mobile network. The reason is because unfortunately in the freelance translation game, certainly in my experience, an agency will send you a request for a job and you only have a limited time to respond or they will try someone else.

In terms of unlocking phones, it appears that Softbank can be unlocked and as I didn't want to fark up my au Android/not be able to get it back on the au network, even though I'm sure would have been easy to unlock, I decided to unlock my old iPhail as if that breaks I have nothing to lose. So I just did it and the process was a little tedious and very time consuming. So I had to jailbreak the phone, which is what took forever, and once that was done, use software to unlock the phone. The unlocking process was fairly easy but again overly time consuming. Plus it seems the jailbreak method I used is "tethered" which means I have to jump through hoops (and have the phone connected to a computer) if I turn it off and want to reboot into jailbreak mode. Massive hassle. Only thing left to do is try it with a different SIM card and see what happens. Problem is, I can't do that until I get to Oz.....Or maybe I could try my Android's SIM card?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 pm

The phone is showing "Searching" (where the network ID/name is usually displayed) whereas before it was showing out of range so this is a good sign.....No sure I really wanna try my au SIM card but surely it shouldn't be an issue....