How do I "share" my printer between multiple computers?

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

How do I "share" my printer between multiple computers?

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm

I have two Windows computers "networked" using LAN cables so I can share data via My Network. Now I want to set up my printer so that both computers can use it. The printer is currently hooked up to one of the computers (via a USB cable) but not the other.

Could someone tell me what I'm supposed to do? Using small words and layman's terms? :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: How do I "share" my printer between multiple computers?

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 pm

It should be very easy as you have the computers networked already. The only time I had a problems with it was when Epson's bit of software had a hidden dialogue box with a checkbox to make the printer available for sharing.

So, first have a hunt around in the printer software for any sharing options or checkboxes on the computer the printer is connected to. Now go to start/printers and faxes. Find the printer/right click/properties/sharing tab and make sure the share this printer checkbox is selected.

Next, go to the other computer. Start/printers and faxes/Add a new printer (on the left hand side). This is a wizard so should guide you through without any further problems. If it can't find your printer then go back to the other computer and check the printer is shared again and retry.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: How do I "share" my printer between multiple computers?

Unread post by BergKatse » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Completely forgot to reply to this! Sorry :oops:

Printer successfully shared. Thanks very much :thumbsup: