Internet speed and pricing in Japan

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
AndreBone
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Internet speed and pricing in Japan

Unread post by AndreBone » Thu May 24, 2012 4:28 am

Guys,

Hi. It's been a while....a long while. Hope all is well. I've been out of Japan for a few years now and was hoping to get some feedback on your guys' Internet speeds and prices over there in Japan. My ISP here in Boston, MA is Comcast and they're spectacular.....at hiding what speed they give you for what price. I use speed tests online to check my speed sometimes as they're always changing speeds and prices.

I was running download speeds around 20Mbps on a $50 plan for a while. Now I'm running at around 6Mbps. The price is cheaper due to a 12 month promotion but will increase to around $50 after that.

Anyway, just wanted to see how much better Japan is doing with this stuff. I'm assuming you guys are flying and at better prices.

Thanks for any info!

- Bone
The Search For Animal Chin

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: Internet speed and pricing in Japan

Unread post by allblacks » Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 am

I was gonna show you my optical fiber speedtest result but its not working for some reason. I pay 4000 yen for this and have been using it for the last 3 years. Very good indeed. A couple of times it has gone off line but then you just call NTT and they tell you what order to turn things off and on and it fixes itself.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm onm cable and to be honest it sounds like I have the same issues as the OP. I pay around 4,500 yen per month and should be getting 40mbps but I typically get between 10 and 15. I was tempted to ring them up and ask wtf but I can't be arsed as I'm moving in a few months and it didn't seem worth the hassle. Most of my friends are on optic fibre and pay less and get better speeds. I only go with the shitty cable cause its a package with the TV and phone. The TV is mostly shit as well so when I move I won't be renewing.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

AndreBone
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by AndreBone » Fri May 25, 2012 11:02 pm

AB's, Mac,

Thanks for the replies. Compared with my area anyway, you guys have sweet set-ups. Lower price and faster speeds (when you're up and running). Take it easy!

-Bone
The Search For Animal Chin

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon May 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Good to see you back on the forum mate! How is Boston treating you? What you doing there at the minute?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm

No worries mate. Good to see an old hand around these parts.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."