IPad Alternative

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

IPad Alternative

Unread post by hucards » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm contemplating buying a tablet PC but don't want an IPad because I already have an IPhone and want an Android based one. The three I've been looking at are:

Samsung Galaxy- Great reviews but in Japan you have to sign up with docomo or import an unlocked version from abroad which is troublesome.

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 10.1- Priced right and you can upgrade to one that includes a docking station with a regular keyboard that also extends battery life.

Sony Tablet S- The best design IMO and shockingly reasonably priced for a Sony product.

Any thoughts? Does anyone on here have one of these or know someone who does and can provide more insight? Or is there another one you recommend?

Or should I forget about tablets altogether?

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: IPad Alternative

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 am

I'd say get an iPad. I don't know why already having an iPhone would stop you from getting one. I have both and I'm glad I went with them.

Let's be honest, android runs like a dogs breakfast. Surely you've noticed this any time you use an android phone and you compare it to your iPhone, but I'm not answering your question really.

But before anyone can really give you advice, what is it exactly you want your tablet for? What situations and how do you want to use it?

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by hucards » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:22 am

lordCONAN wrote:I'd say get an iPad. I don't know why already having an iPhone would stop you from getting one. I have both and I'm glad I went with them.

Let's be honest, android runs like a dogs breakfast. Surely you've noticed this any time you use an android phone and you compare it to your iPhone, but I'm not answering your question really.

But before anyone can really give you advice, what is it exactly you want your tablet for? What situations and how do you want to use it?
I'd like to use it mainly to read newspapers (not books as I have a Kindle), stream movies/tv shows and kill some time by playing games. Nothing too extravagant.

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 am

well, im plumping for a transformer prime. like the OP said, im iphoned, ipod touched and ipodded up and use an old g4, so i fancy a wee change.

eee pad is a good deal for the cash. new android OS should be an improvement when it rolls out. its gettin generally great reviews. the GPS is a bit shit apparently, but i think i would be looking at flash animation websites far more often than checking where i am, so ipad wouldnt be so good for me.

also the eee pad comes with a lot of good office software and free games.

yours sincerely,

jim asus, asus computers ltd.
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:54 pm

We got an iPad2 recently and I must say it's great so far!
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."