Ubuntu 11.04

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Ubuntu 11.04

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Right so I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. So far so good. Can't see any changes (except ascetically) from the last version I used (8.10) but I'm sure they'll come apparent as I go along. For Ubuntu users:
How do you get iTunes to work? Using Wine? Seems that's the only way but if there is an equivalent program for Linux I'm all ears. I don't necessarily like iTunes but I need to sync my iPhone and put content onto it (music, vids, podcasts, etc) so if there is a better way in Linux I'm all ears.

BitTorrent app? I'm tempted to go for Vuze over Transmission simply because Vuze (at least in Windows) has a plugin that I can convert video content into mp4 to watch on my iPhone and automatically copies it to iTunes for me. Again if there's a better way in Ubuntu I'm happy to use it.

Any other tips or recommended apps to get the most out of Ubuntu?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Ubuntu 11.04

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 pm

MacGyver wrote:Vuze (at least in Windows) has a plugin that I can convert video content into mp4 to watch on my iPhone
Really?! That's good. Is that included in regular Vuze or only Vuze Plus?
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm

In the regular version. It has plugins for other devices too like PS3, Xbox, etc. I don't have an Xbox but I have used it for PS3. Was good but eventually ditched for the PS3 Server, which is a media server for PS3 and *mostly* works well and you don't need to convert file by file. Can browse in your PS3 GUI like the files were actually installed on your PS3.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Ta :thumbsup:
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 pm

No worries. Conversion takes a while so there may be faster applications (like Handbrake) but I like it cause all I have to do is drag and drop the file(s) I want converted into Vuze, it asks me what device I want to convert to (iPhone, iPhone4, iPod, iPad, etc), and then it does the rest. Once its done, all I have to do is sync my iPhone and the vid files are copied to my iPhone. I usually do a bunch at a time, starting just before I go to bed. I then plug my iPhone into the PC when I wake up, get ready for work, and then once I come back I'm good to go.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah, I run Linux Mint on my main box (which for all intents and purposes IS Ubuntu).

PS3 Media Server is a god-send. I have that thing running 24/7. The TRANSCODE feature for the most part works perfectly on all formats for me (although from time to time there is an iffy one, but that is mainly to do with the original file being encoded by a retard, rather than a problem with the system). I would recommend PS3 Media Server over all other methods of conversion, if you have a PS3, as it is completely painless.

iTunes is iffy still; try it in WINE, it may work. You can also try it in VBox, with a Windows install on, and that might work too.

Or, just use the installed alternative; RhythmBox. Works fine with my various music players (including iPods).

I use Transmission and Vuze. The only reason I use Vuze, is that some of the torrent sites I use have tracking issues with Transmission. If there were no problems at all, I would not bother with Vuze. They are both fine though.

Recommendations;

Skype, Dropbox, VirtualBox, WINE, Renoise, Blender, Mono, Filezilla, JACK, Netbeans, Nicotine Plus.

To be honest, for the average user, Ubuntu is basically complete straight out of the box. The only thing you need to do, if you are using your computer for low level stuff, is install VLC player, and set up the look of it how you want it. After that, it is totally ready to rock.

Installing a few extra fonts is always a good idea (Helvetica, springs to mind).

Nice to see someone else is using Linux. The only way to fly.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 pm

I was running linux for a while, but gave it up because I enjoy playing games. Sure there's ways around it, wine, if your lucky a linux port, but not always, and not always with great efficiency. So came back to windows with version 7.

I was planning on using linux for my htpc, with programs isolated and running on vms so I could have a backupable simple drop and go setup should i need to reinstall the os, but that also became a bit of hassle, trying to get vms to start as services and such.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Yeah, I don't use my computer to play games; I have a PS3 and an XBOX360 for that.

Can't imagine anyone installing Linux in a bid to enhance their gaming experience, unless they were planning on programming their own games from scratch.

I did manage to get Steam running on my Arch Linux box though...

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for that Cadence. Appreciate it.
Cadence wrote:PS3 Media Server is a god-send.
Currently not working correctly for me. It runs but it won't detect my PS3 player. I had an issue installing some of the Java components so I think that's what the problem is. Unfortunately its screwed something up and I can't try again nor can I install anything. Trying to install anything using either the command line or the update console (not sure what the correct name is for it off the top of my head). I'll have to google the error message to see if I can fix it. If I can't get it to work, its a showstopper (like you I use it to watch all the shows I download onto my PC on my TV through my PS3) so I'll either have to resort to Win7 or reinstall. Reinstalling isn't an issue cause its so easy but it is a bit of a hassle.
Cadence wrote:iTunes is iffy still; try it in WINE, it may work.
Yeah that's how I installed it initially. No luck.
Cadence wrote:You can also try it in VBox, with a Windows install on, and that might work too.
I might have to try this but before I do I'll give Rhythm box a go. I think I already did actually. With getting music onto my iPhone, is it just a matter of dragging and dropping? (There doesn't seem to be a sync function.) I presume video is the same once its been converted to mp4.

Cadence wrote:Recommendations;

Skype, Dropbox, VirtualBox, WINE, Renoise, Blender, Mono, Filezilla, JACK, Netbeans, Nicotine Plus.
Thanks for the recommendations. The only other thing I need to figure out at this point is how to get Japanese to work (displays fine but just can't seem to type in Japanese. Funny thing is I installed the J OS to not have to worry about these hassles (took a while to get Japanese input and fonts to work on 8.10 but that was an E OS)). Hopefully some googling will get the job done. Although if I don't fix the installing problem I mentioned above that won't work either...

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am

Hey

Don't give up. Keep at it and you will get where you want in the end (and learn a load of cool stuff in the process).

About Japanese input; you need to install the Japanese language pack, and then turn on the input system everytime you boot. Search in the software repository for IBUS and ANTHY. That should see you right.

If you get mega stuck, send me a PM and I will talk you through the process.

I installed the English (UK) version, and have Japanese, Russian and Korean input running just fine on all of my boxes.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 am

I figured it being Japanese OS that it would have already been installed. I guess it was but I had to add it to the input editor. All good now but that's lame if you ask me. It should be already added and ready to go.

Also fixed the HDMI audio out trouble I was having. You have to manually change the audio output settings each time you connect the PC to an HDMI cable. Lame as well. Win7 automatically figures it out and does it for you....

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 am

That is not lame though, is it. It just has not been automated. Feel free to write a script to do so, or have someone over on one of the main Linux boards do it.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Cadence wrote:It just has not been automated.

What part of that isn't lame???
Cadence wrote:Feel free to write a script to do so, or have someone over on one of the main Linux boards do it.
I find it hard to believe that no one hasn't already thought of this. Either it can't be done or no one can be bothered doing it. Sounds lame to me.

Sankyuberymucho
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Sankyuberymucho » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Let me get this straight, you installed the Japanese version of Ubuntu, but japanese input wasn't enabled by default? Sounds pretty lame. How does the Japanese version differ from the english one, are all the menus etc just in Japanese?

I have an earlier version of Ubuntu (english version) and it took me a while to get the Japanese input working, but it seems OK now.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Sankyuberymucho wrote:Let me get this straight, you installed the Japanese version of Ubuntu, but japanese input wasn't enabled by default?
Correct. I had to go into the options menu and assign Japanese input to the IME. Granted, it wasn't hard to do as it only took a few clicks to get it done. Although I did have to Google to find out how to do it cause it wasn't immediately apparent from the GUI.
Sankyuberymucho wrote:Sounds pretty lame.
Agreed. I think its a fair assumption that a J OS should have J input enabled by default.... :roll:
Sankyuberymucho wrote:How does the Japanese version differ from the english one, are all the menus etc just in Japanese?
Yes, everything is in Japanese including menus and so forth. All the GUI is displayed in Japanese and Japanese fonts are displayed by default so no need to install a language pack. The only hassle was with the IME, as I have mentioned above.
Sankyuberymucho wrote:I have an earlier version of Ubuntu (english version) and it took me a while to get the Japanese input working, but it seems OK now.
Yeah a few yrs back I used Ubuntu 8.04 (and subsequently 8.10) and installed the English OS. I had a few hassles getting both Japanese displayed and being able to type in Japanese, hence this time around I installed the J OS in an attempt to avoid those hassles. The troubles I had installing the Japanese language pack reminded me of how hard it was to do back in the day in Win98/ME.