Kindle in Japan?

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Kindle in Japan?

Unread post by Level3 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:49 am

Shopping on Amazon.com recently and see they're now offering the Kindle for $139 , or $189 with Free 3G connection, worldwide.
The side benefit of the 3G option seems to be that you can use its simple web browser, anywhere there's a 3G signal in Japan, with no monthly fees.
Yes, it's black and white, can't do video (I think), etc ,but basically free crappy internet anywhere (abroad too)for an extra $50? It would pay for itself in 2 months if I can eliminate use of my keitai to look up shit like train schedules and such with their fucking packet charges.

You can also download books through 3G, but have to pay extra per download from Japan (so just download through your PC for free)
I just think it would be cool for storing tons of pdfs for references at conferences and meetings.

Anyone have a Kindle? Tried using it for Japanese? Still hunting for a good RECENT review of Kindle use in Japan regarding the web connection.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Kindle in Japan?

Unread post by hucards » Sun May 22, 2011 1:46 am

I bought a Kindle about 4 months ago and I love it. I only have the wi-fi version as I am not interested in browsing the internet with it. I find myself reading so much more now as I can easily flip back and forth through different books. It's quite easy to sort books by collections or authors, etc. There is no eye strain at all and the battery life is great. If you turn wi-fi off then you'll get about 4 weeks of battery life. With wi-fi on you'll get about 10 days. I assume with 3G you'll only get about 1 week.

There are still books that you can't get in e-book format and the selection for Japanese books is terrible. Reading PDF's can be a hassle and a lot of the e-book libraries offer books in formats that Kindle doesn't support natively so you'll have to convert them.

Buying books is easy. Just go to amazon.com and click on the buy button and the book will be transferred to your kindle over wi-fi automatically. Or you could download and transfer by hooking up your usb.

It took about one week to get my kindle in the mail. I suggest buying the case from amazon.jp as you can get one for cheap.

As a dedicated e-reader, the kindle is fantastic and I recommend it to any avid reader. Buy it, load it up with some Jeffery Deaver novels and enjoy the summer!

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the review. Making reading English more convenient sounds like trouble! ;)
Really trying to focus on reading Japanese. Got a couple thick spy thrillers in English for my birthday and
it was so comfortable to blaze through them over a week... and neglect kanji study.

I've seen youtube video reviews regarding the hassle of viewing pdfs, just seems reasonable, cramming a pdf onto a 6 inch screen you gotta be willing to compromise. And comparing the price of the standard kindle vs the super-size version, I can accept some inconvenience.

Still, it seems like a cool device. And basically free mobile web browsing for the price of 1 month of packet-based keitai internet makes it seem even cooler, almost too good to be true.

Do you have experience with kanji, etc. on the kindle? readable? J text interaction (dictionary lookup, etc)possible?
Can Japanese text be input through the keyboard like some kind of IME?
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm

I don't know if you'd want to rely to heavily on the mobile browser. I don't have one, but with the refresh time of e-ink, I think browsing the internet would get annoying pretty quickly.

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by hucards » Tue May 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Level3 wrote:Thanks for the review. Making reading English more convenient sounds like trouble! ;)
Really trying to focus on reading Japanese. Got a couple thick spy thrillers in English for my birthday and
it was so comfortable to blaze through them over a week... and neglect kanji study.

I've seen youtube video reviews regarding the hassle of viewing pdfs, just seems reasonable, cramming a pdf onto a 6 inch screen you gotta be willing to compromise. And comparing the price of the standard kindle vs the super-size version, I can accept some inconvenience.

Still, it seems like a cool device. And basically free mobile web browsing for the price of 1 month of packet-based keitai internet makes it seem even cooler, almost too good to be true.

Do you have experience with kanji, etc. on the kindle? readable? J text interaction (dictionary lookup, etc)possible?
Can Japanese text be input through the keyboard like some kind of IME?
I have one Japanese book on my kindle and read through it no problem. There are many free ebook websites that you can go to and download some Japanese books. For pdf, I recommend just downloading a conversion program (I use calibre and mobipocket for all my conversion needs) to convert them. I did a test conversion of a Japanese pdf and it came out ok. I just had to increase the font size on my kindle. As for converting English books from pdf it's usually ok. I had one where a lot of the words were combined but other than that no problems.

You can't input Japanese (not that I know of anyway) but there might be a way to have a Japanese dictionary and use it to look up words.

If you want it just for Japanese, then you should go to any electronic store and check out the Sony e-reader. The only differences are that it's a touch screen and has much better Japanese support. Sony's also supports more formats I think. The downside is that it's a Sony and you don't know how reliable it will be... :eyes:

I wouldn't recommend it to surf the net. The e-ink refresh time and the fact that it's not color might frustrate you.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun May 29, 2011 12:57 pm

I have a Kindle. Yeah, don't get too attached to the idea of using the web browser too much… It's just barely better than nothing. The e-ink issues actually aren't too bad, but having to use the cursor to navigate around the page and select links is a real pain, and there's only two levels of zoom, one of them (the full-page view) being pretty much useless for reading. And if you end up on a page where the text is too wide to fit in the viewport for the zoomed-in view, you have to keep scrolling left and right in order to read the text. There's a reason that Amazon doesn't really advertise the browser and tucks it away under the "Experimental" section of the main menu…

As for paying a fee to download books over 3G, if I recall correctly, the 3G model has a wi-fi antenna too, so you could just turn off the 3G support when you aren't using it and use the wi-fi support to download stuff wherever there's a network available.

Also note that Amazon's new cheaper Kindles are ad-supported; they show ads when you put the device into sleep mode, for example. Whether you think that's worth saving $25 or whatever off the normal price is up to you. (Personally, if I didn't already have one, I'd probably go for it.)

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:50 pm

My sister turned up with with a 3G and wifi model. She is travelling for a few months and it was a last minute decision to buy one. She says it is one of the best things she has ever bought. The 3G connection works in Japan and just about everywhere else so you can buy a newspaper if you find yourself with a bit of time to fill in waiting for a train or something wherever you are.

The internet browser is, as other have said, very clunky but it does work well enough to check your email which is a huge boon when you are on the move.

I am sorely tempted to get myself one. The only thing is that I think it is a fabulous device for someone who is travelling a lot. For someone who isn't, like me these days, the benefits are less clear. If I were as interested in books as I once was then I would get one for sure - It just makes it so easy to get them.

On balance, I think I'll probably pass and spend the money on something else but it is a very nice little device if you either travel a lot or you are seriously into reading. If both apply to you then get one ASAP, you'll be delighted with it.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Anyone got anything to add to this thread?
I'm thinking of getting one.
Or have there been any decent other brands?

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 am

I picked up a paperwhite about a year and a half ago and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't use it to browse the internet, but to read books, it's fantastic. And because it's such a dedicated device, you don't get distracted. I used to read books on my ipad, but I'd always end up opening surfing the web or reading reddit, with a paperwhite that doesn't happen. And it's fairly small and light weight.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks mate,sounds good.Not interested in web surfing
so that might be the one to go for.A mate also b ought one after
trying to read books on his ipad but he says it hurts your eyes.The
Kindle being designed for reading didn`t hurt them at all.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:20 pm

The trick with reading on an iPad is to invert the colours, white text and black background. I read all of the Game of Thrones and Dexter books on my iPad no worries (well except Dexter sucked).

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Amazon has just announced a new kindle, that looks pretty nice, but for a little bit more money.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:04 am

I have an older Kindle. I've been kind of too busy to read much recently, but when I did use it, I enjoyed it.

A big difference between the Kindle e-readers and similar "e-ink" devices vs the Kindle Fire, iPad and other tablets is that the former work by darkening areas of the screen so that what you're seeing is the reflected light of the non-darkened areas, while the latter work like a computer screen - by shining colored light-emitting diodes in your eyes. So the former work much more like how real life book pages work, and I can see how the latter could irritate people who aren't nerds like me who spend all day looking at a screen anyway. But still, were I to pick up a "book" again, I'd prefer to do it on my Kindle rather than an iPad.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:15 pm

I use the sepia mode on my ipad...

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 am

I have a Kindle Fire which has a coloured screen. Apart from reading books (black and white) I can check and send emails; read a free online newspaper, read a BBC news site (limited) and connect to other online sites. Online connections outside the house are not so good. But, having connected at home, I can then read the downloaded emails, news items etc outside. The Kindle Fire also stores photos and has a Word, PDF document application. So you can show, look at photos outside and read stored Word, PDF documents on the device (transferred from the computer). Very handy. Originally, I had just a plain Kindle book reader before I changed to a Kindle Fire. I sometimes think a plain Kindle book reader would be better, as a Kindle Fire can be too distracting with all its functions. But .......

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 am

Yeah, that's why I like my paperwhite. I used to read on my ipad, but it was way too easy to start browsing the net, with a paperwhite it does one thing, and I'm happy about that, cause it does that one thing well. So I can read distraction free.