iPhail Clock

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 12, 2011 11:57 am

So I have my iPhail time and date set to update automatically and it has worked correctly until now. I first noticed the problem at the end of April when I got to Botswana and the time it was displayed was 10 minutes slow. While I thought it strange I ignored it and figured it would correct itself when I got back to Japan. Unfortunately it hasn't and I'm reduced to having to manually update the time on my iPhail (so much for smartphone).

I've googled the problem and besides finding that this is a common problem (wow surprise me) I haven't found a solution that works. Anyone have any ideas? While I have already decided that once my contract ends I'm getting rid of this POS and getting an Android, I've still got 8 months left on it and it would be nice to actually use this POS as per advertised. While obviously I can't most of the time as I usually can't get a signal even in the middle of Tokyo (what's the farking point of a smartphone if its mostly out of range????) surely old school technology like CORRECT TIME shouldn't be too hard??? Surely???
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:08 am

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by inflames » Sun May 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Just manually update it and don't hook up it up to your computer (the clock on mine was a bit slow so I just manually updated it and it's been fine since then).

If this is the only problem you've had with it consider yourself lucky - the quality of these things are terrible. Everyone I know has had problems (buttons dying, the touchscreen failing, headset and speaker problems, and the cracks on the back).

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Yeah I manually set the time but its nice to have it automatically do it for you, especially when you go OS. Oh well. Another fail for the iPhone I guess.

Nope this is not the only issue I've had. I'm now having a massively annoying issue with the silent/vibe mode switch on the side of the phone. Basically its not working properly. As I mentioned above, I'm going to get an Android for my next one cause I'm out of range a lot with this phone. I can live with a lot of the iPhail faults, but considering that most of the functionality (calls, mail, web surfing, apps) needs network connectivity, this is a show stopper. Hopefully the Android model I get will be better. At worst, it'll be a major step up if I can get reception in my home! If I didn't have a wifi router at home, I would have already thrown it into the nearest body of water.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:08 am

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by inflames » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 pm

MacGyver wrote:Nope this is not the only issue I've had. I'm now having a massively annoying issue with the silent/vibe mode switch on the side of the phone. Basically its not working properly. As I mentioned above, I'm going to get an Android for my next one cause I'm out of range a lot with this phone. I can live with a lot of the iPhail faults, but considering that most of the functionality (calls, mail, web surfing, apps) needs network connectivity, this is a show stopper. Hopefully the Android model I get will be better. At worst, it'll be a major step up if I can get reception in my home! If I didn't have a wifi router at home, I would have already thrown it into the nearest body of water.
My first phone had the switch problem as well. If you use a case the problem doesn't develop.

I considered getting a docomo phone but Docomo is too expensive and Softbank has the white plan (which was useful as, at the time, my best friend and ex-fiancee were on Softbank).

The thing that pisses me off the most is that iTunes is terrible software.

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:14 pm

I was recently in PNG and while there I switched from manual time to auto time. The problem still persisted and fact was worse: the clock was now 15 minutes slow. But I left it like that for the remainder of my stay and then on the last day the clock miraculously fixed itself. I left it on auto and when arriving in Japan it automatically changed to the correct Japan time. As of this minute, its still correct.

My theory is that the clock server (or perhaps something else at Apple's end) had a problem and Apple took their sweet time fixing it, which is par for the course with Apple. I also suspect, as it is also par for the course, that they didn't publicly announce either the problem nor that it was fixed.

Meh, come Feb when my contract expires I'm changing back to au and getting an Android device anyway so I've only got to put up with this pos for another 6 months or so.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:08 am

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by inflames » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm

MacGyver wrote: Meh, come Feb when my contract expires I'm changing back to au and getting an Android device anyway so I've only got to put up with this pos for another 6 months or so.
You're not the only one. Recently Softbank's service in Osaka has gotten quite shitty.

User avatar
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 am

Indeed it has. And, though it may be because my PC is being a right twat ATM, I've noticed my 3G no longer synchs since I updated to iTunes latest version of Apple Product Software.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 pm

inflames wrote:You're not the only one. Recently Softbank's service in Osaka has gotten quite shitty.
Are you referring to Softbank service in general or (iPhone/phone) reception issues?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

User avatar
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 am

MacGyver wrote:
inflames wrote:You're not the only one. Recently Softbank's service in Osaka has gotten quite shitty.
Are you referring to Softbank service in general or (iPhone/phone) reception issues?
For me, a little from A and a little from B...
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 am

Not sure about Softbank's service issues but in regards to reception issues, everyone seems to point the finger at the service provider but considering users have exactly the same problems in the US (AT&T) and Australia (Vodafone) wouldn't it be more logical to point the finger at the phone? The only 2 things that I can see are constant here are the same phone (iPhone, regardless of which one) and the technology. But then non-iPhones using the same technology are fine here (and presumably elsewhere) so for me it has to be the iPhone. The fact that all models of iPhone have the same problem is pretty damning.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

User avatar
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 am

But, IIRC, I got pretty shite coverage in Osaka when I was using softbank without the iPhone, too.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 am

Hmmm. I know I've been in places where I couldn't get any reception yet another bloke with a non-iPhone Softbank phone had full reception....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

User avatar
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 pm

MacGyver wrote:Hmmm. I know I've been in places where I couldn't get any reception yet another bloke with a non-iPhone Softbank phone had full reception....
Hell, there's even times when my iPhone gets full reception, yet my wife's has no service - in the same fucking spot.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:08 am

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by inflames » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
MacGyver wrote:Hmmm. I know I've been in places where I couldn't get any reception yet another bloke with a non-iPhone Softbank phone had full reception....
Hell, there's even times when my iPhone gets full reception, yet my wife's has no service - in the same fucking spot.
I have the same thing, in addition to shit Softbank service before (2006 was terrible but then they got better). AU service (I have 2 phones) blows softbank away.

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: iPhail Clock

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

inflames wrote:
exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
MacGyver wrote:Hmmm. I know I've been in places where I couldn't get any reception yet another bloke with a non-iPhone Softbank phone had full reception....
Hell, there's even times when my iPhone gets full reception, yet my wife's has no service - in the same fucking spot.
I have the same thing, in addition to shit Softbank service before (2006 was terrible but then they got better). AU service (I have 2 phones) blows softbank away.
At this point I'll take a smartphone (iPhone, Android, Win7, I don't care) that I can use to text and make/receive calls in my house. Not too much to ask surely?!?!?!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest