iMac G4 Problem

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

iMac G4 Problem

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Someone gave me an imac Power PC G4 700Mz. Unfortunately he had found a way to install Leopard 10.5 on it for some reason and it runs like crap.

Has anyone got a copy of 10.4 Tiger so I can roll it back?
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: iMac G4 Problem

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Another maccer! Im sorry but I dont know what a leopard and tiger have to do with a pc! Haha!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Nor me really. More silly Mac talk. I am rapidly going off the whole mac experience even not having paid anything for it.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

I think I threw away a copy of that when I was cleaning out my closet before moving back to Japan, actually… Sorry.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but did you get the original install discs that came with the Mac? Always good to ask for those.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 pm

The guy had a life crisis and is out of the country in days hence he is dumping everything. I've asked and he might have them somewhere but it isn't possible to push him any further for them.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Do you have a deep dark closet? Thats where Id put it.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 pm

allblacks wrote:Do you have a deep dark closet? Thats where Id put it.
Or the next kei truck that comes along. For all its prettiness and funkiness it can't compete with a PC of the same vintage in terms of practicality, upgradability and maintainability. The CD drive appears to be faulty. If it were a PC I could change it out in 10 minutes but with this thing it is a major and tricky operation. On a PC I can easily get/borrow/download a copy of XP and re-install with my current licence or even run Ubuntu if I want but with this thing I am struggling to find a copy of exactly the right OS in a format that I can burn to a disk without using another Mac.

Still, I'll persevere for a while. perhaps with the correct OS installed I will start to see why people like them so much.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Bloody computers! This should probably go in the tech gripes thread but my desktop is starting to freeze for no reason. It doesnt do it all the time but enough to be annoying. I just know that I will have to replace it sooner or later and think Ill be putting it in my daughters room for her to play with. It feels like I just got the damn thing but its been probably 2 years. :bang:

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Slave, what form factor of an iMac is it? Is it the "half volleyball" one?

Don't fall for the whole "you can't repair/upgrade Macs" line. All iMacs use rather standard desktop (or sometimes laptop) hardware on the inside, even if it is hard to get to sometimes. In one of the old "gumdrop" iMacs I had, I replaced the optical drive and the hard drive and upgraded the memory over its lifetime, and have also replaced hard drives, memory and even a screen in various laptops I've had since then.

Also, if you can get the optical drive working/replaced (or make a bootable USB drive), you can install and run Ubuntu or other Linux/Unix operating systems on the iMac too if you'd prefer. Pretty much all the major distributions have a PowerPC version.

Please don't let a bad experience with a half-broken eight-year-old used iMac running the wrong OS version ruin your perception of Macs forever. :P

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 pm

allblacks wrote:Bloody computers! This should probably go in the tech gripes thread but my desktop is starting to freeze for no reason. :bang:
That's the painful sting of karma. You should have bought a Mac. :rotfl:
:bye:

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:Slave, what form factor of an iMac is it? Is it the "half volleyball" one?

Don't fall for the whole "you can't repair/upgrade Macs" line. All iMacs use rather standard desktop (or sometimes laptop) hardware on the inside, even if it is hard to get to sometimes. In one of the old "gumdrop" iMacs I had, I replaced the optical drive and the hard drive and upgraded the memory over its lifetime, and have also replaced hard drives, memory and even a screen in various laptops I've had since then.

Also, if you can get the optical drive working/replaced (or make a bootable USB drive), you can install and run Ubuntu or other Linux/Unix operating systems on the iMac too if you'd prefer. Pretty much all the major distributions have a PowerPC version.

Please don't let a bad experience with a half-broken eight-year-old used iMac running the wrong OS version ruin your perception of Macs forever. :P
Yep, it is the half volleyball one. Quite an impressive piece of design and engineering it must be admitted but not easy to work with. I didn't think they could boot from a USB drive on those machines. I will have another google around. I also didn't realise there were Power PC versions of Ubuntu. I would quite like to get it running OSX properly just to see if I like it as much as I should and to see if it transforms me into a creative and cool person. 8)

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 pm

So, progress. Finally decided to change the CD drive as it was reading some discs but not others and generally wasn't working properly. A 3,000 Yen Samsung, after a fair bit of playing around, was fitted and is working just fine. A copy of Tiger turned up in the post from Scotland which installed without a problem and now the airport (2,000 Yen from ebay) works fine. After a bit of playing around it can share files and use the printer like the other computers.

The only thing left is to fit the maximum possible memory as it still stumbles a bit at times. Anyone got a 512 Mb stick of 168 pin PC 133 lying around in their junk box?

Still waiting to be transformed into a creative dude type. I don't think iLife is going to do it somehow.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon May 02, 2011 7:50 am

Cant you buy that from www.sofmap.com ? They do seem to have all kindsa spares and used ram there. If you dont have one up your way I will look here at the Tennoji one for ya. ABs

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 am

allblacks wrote:Cant you buy that from http://www.sofmap.com ? They do seem to have all kindsa spares and used ram there. If you dont have one up your way I will look here at the Tennoji one for ya. ABs
If Sofmap is the same as it was a few years ago they'll stock every conceivable mac accessory from the past 20 years. In 2005 we went to the one in Akihabara so Mrs W could buy a used Macbook. They still had Newtons and the like available!
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

allblacks wrote:Cant you buy that from http://www.sofmap.com ? They do seem to have all kindsa spares and used ram there. If you dont have one up your way I will look here at the Tennoji one for ya. ABs
Thanks very much ABs that's really good of you. Let me have a scrounge around and see if I can get some locally or via ebay first.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon May 02, 2011 1:21 pm

No worries. And yes Sofmap should change its name to NAADO TENGOKU. (Hypocrite warning!)

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Apple just released the newest iMac model. Quad-core Core i5 procs and 4GB of RAM, standard, HD camera, and beefier graphics too. Even comes with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Just so you know that that old G4 is now even more out of date. :P

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 am

Starting at $1,200? No thanks :P

I actually enjoy fixing things and further don't enjoy handing over lots of cash for things that are way beyond what I can't really utilise to anywhere near their potential. Anyhow, this book a good summation of how I feel about fixing things:

The Case for Working with Your Hands: or Why Office Work is Bad for Us and Fixing Things Feels Good