Basics(?) That I Dont Know questions

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Basics(?) That I Dont Know questions

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 pm

MacGyver wrote:I don't recommend Ubuntu or any version of Linux for the layman UNLESS they want to learn how to use it and about computing in general. I'm no expert but I don't consider myself a layman either and I installed Ubuntu on my old IBM laptop a few yrs back because it was old and slow with Windows and I wanted to learn about Ubuntu. I enjoyed using Ubuntu but at times I found doing some things a challenge (for example I found installing J fonts and an IME difficult and time-consuming whereas on Windows its a piece of piss). I found being familiar with the command window and DOS commands essential in the end. But on the other hand, the net is full of helpful advice and solutions from Ubuntu users so when you run into trouble, there is help out there.
I agree with Cadence here. You're talking about Linux distros a few years ago. They weren't very user-friendly. That's not the case now. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 and could not believe how freaking nice it was to use. There's no need to use a terminal or use apt to download software. It's all done via nice GUIs.

Setting up the Japanese input was simple, too. You choose your language and Ubuntu not only installs the input method but also the fonts. I love the fact that although I run the OS in English and my wife uses it in Japanese, Ubuntu is smart enough to know that when I download something that I need the Japanese language packs, too. At this stage, I'd say the biggest hurdle to adopting it is understanding how Linux does things differently than Windows.

If you need a PC to just surf the web and read email, Ubuntu has everything you you possibly need. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Ubuntu now.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Cadence wrote:CPU; not made by Lenovo
Hard Drive; not made by Lenovo
Wifi card; not made by Lenovo
Monitor; which parts were breaking?
Lenovo don't make the parts; yeah no shit. Which part of "they buy the cheapest shit and therefore break" don't you understand?
Chill out mate. We are all on the same side here; we are aiming to pass on our knowledge and experience to someone in need of answers, not start a war.
MacGyver wrote:
Cadence wrote:The k320 IdeaCentre i recommended to Langslave is an incredible machine, and it seems you are just stirring things up for no reason other than attempting to demonstrate some kind of assumed 733t prowess.
I profess no "733t" prowess. I'm just stating my experience. Maybe it is a great machine and if he goes ahead and buys it, good luck to him. His money so his decision. I have a Dell and many ppl tell my how they are shit. Their experience so fine with me. But my experience has been good (so far). but then I researched the shit out of it and looked around for ages before buying so maybe my good experience comes down to my research, which is what Langslave is doing so good on him. You shouldn't get so bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you. Don't you work in IT or have experience working in IT? Then you'll know that everyone has a different opinion about hardware, software, and gadgets in general, even though those people are knowledgeable in "tech".
Agree with you on the research bit and also that we all have differing opinions on technology, but again, chill out. I think it is you who is getting 'bent out of shape'
MacGyver wrote:
Cadence wrote:Would not be troublesome at all.
Perhaps not for you nor I, but, and no offence at all intended to Langslave, as he has stated he is very much a computer novice he may struggle. If he wants to give it a crack, then by all means do so cause I agree its not hard. I just don't like to give advice to people saying "yeah its piss easy" and they come back saying they found it difficult and, thx to said advice, farked something up.
Cadence wrote:Ubuntu / Linux Mint are the ones to go for when it comes to Linux, and are absolutely NOT difficult to use now.
The only Linux machines I use now have older versions of Ubuntu on them so maybe the latest version is as easy as you say (I prolly should put the latest version on my home pc and dual boot and mess around with it). If it is as easy as you say then yes Ubuntu is an excellent choice cause you can pick your language and its free. As I say plenty of help on the net too if you run into trouble. Plus there is a Linux version of most, if not all, apps the average person would use or at least comparable app. But people have been saying for yrs, even when I used Ubuntu, how easy it was even when I used it, even though I didn't think it was that easy (maybe they meant in comparison using a PC in the old days with DOS???).
Yeah, I think you should give the latest Ubuntu a go. Also try out Linux Mint (which is my OS of choice). Ubuntu will be moving to a Unity GUI soon, and abandoning GNOME as their main GUI which has ruffled a few feathers, but Linux Mint will be sticking with GNOME, and using the Ubuntu repositories for all updates so a lot of people are migrating.
MacGyver wrote:Apparently you guys are mates so once Langslave buys his new PC why not go around to his, install it for him, and show him the ropes? No really I'm being serious. Usually the easiest way to help someone out (giving support over the phone is such a pain when its so much easier just to go to their place and sort it out for them). I don't mean every little issue, just installing and giving him a tutorial for using the OS.
Thanks for that Dad; is it common courtesy for people who know eachother to do this? I wasn't aware! Any other advice you can give me on friendships / relationships would be most welcome. I have not managed to work any of this out so far in my 31 years on earth.
Shawn wrote:
MacGyver wrote:I don't recommend Ubuntu or any version of Linux for the layman UNLESS they want to learn how to use it and about computing in general. I'm no expert but I don't consider myself a layman either and I installed Ubuntu on my old IBM laptop a few yrs back because it was old and slow with Windows and I wanted to learn about Ubuntu. I enjoyed using Ubuntu but at times I found doing some things a challenge (for example I found installing J fonts and an IME difficult and time-consuming whereas on Windows its a piece of piss). I found being familiar with the command window and DOS commands essential in the end. But on the other hand, the net is full of helpful advice and solutions from Ubuntu users so when you run into trouble, there is help out there.
I agree with Cadence here. You're talking about Linux distros a few years ago. They weren't very user-friendly. That's not the case now. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 and could not believe how freaking nice it was to use. There's no need to use a terminal or use apt to download software. It's all done via nice GUIs.

Setting up the Japanese input was simple, too. You choose your language and Ubuntu not only installs the input method but also the fonts. I love the fact that although I run the OS in English and my wife uses it in Japanese, Ubuntu is smart enough to know that when I download something that I need the Japanese language packs, too. At this stage, I'd say the biggest hurdle to adopting it is understanding how Linux does things differently than Windows.

If you need a PC to just surf the web and read email, Ubuntu has everything you you possibly need. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Ubuntu now.
There you go! Someone else who is saying the exact same thing as me. Ubuntu or a derivative really is the thing to go for now. If there really is a feature of WIndows that you can not do without that Ubuntu can not provide (and at this stage, I honestly can not think of a single one), then you can always just install Windows in Virtualbox.

To pick apart what you said slightly, Shawn; I really don't think Ubuntu is just for people who use computers for surfing and email; it has everything that any other OS offers (I would argue MORE).

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Cadence wrote:To pick apart what you said slightly, Shawn; I really don't think Ubuntu is just for people who use computers for surfing and email; it has everything that any other OS offers (I would argue MORE).
I suppose the two largest strikes against Linux are gaming and MS Office. :ack: There are work-arounds, but most people aren't interested in figuring them out. Linux does have some good games and I guess you can use Wine if you really want to play the latest PC games. Same goes for Office, too. Can't blame you for touting Linux, though. It's become quite polished.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Cadence wrote:OEM versions usually come coupled with a proprietary recovery partition, which causes havoc with dual-booting. Even if you are going to stick with the exact same OS that comes with the machine, you are best wiping it and starting from scratch to get the drive architecture as simple as possible.
Just wanted to add that with OEM versions, authentication of Windows (in this case, XP on a Dell PC) is done through the BIOS, not by entering a registration code. This was a problem for me when I tried to run Windows on VirtualBox. I got it running no problem but since I'm using a virtual machine, there's no way for me to authenticate the software without calling Microsoft. :bird: Although I own the software, I can only use it for 30 days without registering it. Another reason why not to go the OEM route. Take the time and effort to build your own rig. Once my Dell dies, I'll be building my own PC. :luck: And FUCK YOU Microsoft. :bird:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:09 am

All this chat about buying Windows is silly. Steal it.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 am

Cadence wrote:All this chat about buying Windows is silly. Steal it.
Sorry, but I can't condone that. You're better off looking at the alternatives instead. Consider Linux or a Mac (if you have the cash to burn). :thumbsup:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Shawn wrote:
Sorry, but I can't condone that. You're better off looking at the alternatives instead. Consider Linux or a Mac (if you have the cash to burn). :thumbsup:
Obviously I was joking.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Cadence wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Obviously I was joking.
OK, I'm cool with that, but what's the cost of Windows or Office these days? Around 20,000 yen? Buy them together at Amazon.jp and they'll run you about 25,000 yen. That'll hardly break the bank. :clap:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Langslave wrote:Im not looking to push any envelopes with high tech. What I want is reliability, ease of use, ready-to-go, but at the same time something that wont need replacing in 2 years as I wont have the money for that.
Think about what you use your computer for; emailing, surfing the web in an Internet browser, a bit of word processing, Youtube, watching videos and downloading music. Things have got to the stage now where you can do all this on a phone. For what you actually use it for, a computer you buy now is likely to last you WELL over 2 years. Computers are hugely over-powered for what most people use them for, and most (99.9%) of users are never going to get anywhere near topping out a modern machine, even if it is a budget one. Combine this with the fact that software is getting more and more efficient, and you are not going to have any problems. The biggest issue you are going to have is validating the amount of money you are going to spend on it for what you actually use it for!

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I’m putting the finishing touches to my website and have been playing around with different Search Engine Optimization ideas. Now keep in mind I've got bugger all skill in regards to all of this shit and have been learning as I go over the last few weeks.

I'm wondering if I can be a sneaky bastard and >seed< a bunch of shit like the courses I’m offering and the cities I’m willing to travel to e.g. “こども英会話 名古屋市” in like size 10 WHITE font with a WHITE background i.e. invisible in my paragraph spacing, which over 5 pages would mean all my key words would 'appear' on the site like 20 times each.

Would this have any effect whatsoever in improving my visibility for said terms? :oops:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:35 am

Nevermind, asked a mate and he reckons Google will ban my page if I try that sort of shit.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Yep that's what I read too. Just concentrate on putting up good, relevant content and they claim you will climb to the top. In the case of Google that was true our side did. Unfortunately most people here use Yahoo and getting good results there was trickier. I still don't fully understand how it works but I think that you have to pay them to improve your ranking.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Yep that's what I read too. Just concentrate on putting up good, relevant content and they claim you will climb to the top.
This. 90% of "search engine optimization" techniques are shots in the dark at best and will actually be harmful to your ranking in the long run at worst. Your best bet is to just have a clean, well-designed site with quality content that's updated often and that is linked to from other quality sites, if possible.
Unfortunately most people here use Yahoo and getting good results there was trickier. I still don't fully understand how it works but I think that you have to pay them to improve your ranking.
At least in the US, neither Yahoo nor Bing (the latter powers the former's search results nowadays) allow you to pay for a more favorable ranking. However, they do allow you to buy advertising targeted towards certain key words which appear in an advertising area above "real" search results, just like Google does.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 am

Sounds like the microswitch in the left button is dying. Does the pointer still move as you'd expect it to? Either way, you're going to need to spring for a new mouse.
Shit wank bollocks

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 pm

If it is a wireless mouse, replace the battery.

If it is a cabled mouse, time to buy a wireless one.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/LOGICOOL-%E3%83 ... s=logicool

This one is good.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 am

Same sort of thing happens to my wireless mouse as well. It's old so I plan to replace it but as good wireless mice aren't cheap, not until it completely dies and/or is completely useless. At the moment it's just annoying.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

That one I listed is less than 3,000yen.

I would pretty much say that is 'cheap'.

Unless you are a gaming nerd who 'needs' an Ultra Resolution Mega Mouse From Hell, in which case, yeah, those Razor mice run pretty expensive.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Yeah 3K yen is cheap enough, for sure. Although the sort of mouse I'd be looking at would be something like this:
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000604891/

To be honest I haven't done too much homework into a mouse but basically what I have now is something like that, albeit much older. I mostly like the form factor, but it's nice to have the extra buttons. As I say, happy with the one I have until it finally goes belly up then I'll go out and get something I want. I'm sure I could get something like that that is cheaper too (might have to look at something other than Logitec but I do like the brand).
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Cool. Wondering slightly where the money has gone, compared to the one I linked to; similar features, etc. Must be a nicer build, more design work gone into the shape, better switches and rez, etc.

I do a lot of 3D design work (Blender, mainly) and 2D (Photoshop, Illustrator), but still use a relatively cheap Logicool mouse. I do, however, have a Wacom Intuos Pro for painting and 3D sculpting which is amazing.

I am on my 2nd Logicool mouse and find them very hard wearing, comfortable and basically the standard.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Why does my video , any video - youtube , wimp etc. suddenly go green?
I`ve googled it and the answers are my cache is full,clear my cookies, reboot it etc. but it
is brand new.I got it on Friday.
Rebooting it works but as you could imagine it is a major pain in the arse.
Thanks is advance.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Not giving us much to go on but perhaps the graphics card settings need adjusting? Try a different browser? They are the obvious ones off the top of my head.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 am

MacGyver wrote:Not giving us much to go on but perhaps the graphics card settings need adjusting? Try a different browser? They are the obvious ones off the top of my head.
That is all I`ve got ......... using internet explorer.It starts off fine but at a seemingly random point the video screen will
just go green.Audio is fine and the rest of the computer screen is fine just tje video is all green,no picture is visible a all.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:33 am

angryboy wrote:That is all I`ve got
Nah I meant what system are you running/hardware details but I'll assume Win8. My initial advice still stands plus updating the graphics card driver/software (just cause the PC is new doesn't mean it is up to date).

Try this as well:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-8235 ... explorer-7

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks mate :thumbsup:
You are talking t a total luddite when it comes to computers so you really do have to spell it all out for me.
I`ll hve a go at it today.
Thanks again,much appreciated.
PS
MacGyver wrote:I'll assume Win8.
That would be correct.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am

BTW, trying different browsers can help us narrow down whether it is graphics card or browser related. Also make sure your browser is also up to date.

Let me know how you go. Updating drivers these days is a piece of piss (at least compared to what it was back in the day!) but let me know if you have any issues.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 am

MacGyver wrote:BTW, trying different browsers can help us narrow down whether it is graphics card or browser related. Also make sure your browser is also up to date.

Let me know how you go. Updating drivers these days is a piece of piss (at least compared to what it was back in the day!) but let me know if you have any issues.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:39 am

Langslave wrote:After I first ran it I had heaps to update, aren't they capable of giving you a message?
Depends on the program/driver. Most programs do, but some don't or can't.