Basics(?) That I Dont Know questions

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Basics(?) That I Dont Know questions

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:36 am

I haven't used Spybot S&D in a while, but I my understanding is that it locked the hosts file instead of changing it. Maybe WinPatrol is detecting that the file has been locked?

AFAIK, the hosts file is your computer's address book. It associates a host name with an IP address. Spyware and malware can modify the file and hijack Amazon.com, for example, to redirect to a different website.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Do you suspect your PC is infected? IIRC, Spybot makes a copy of the hosts file when you first run it and then locks the file so that it cannot be written to. If the file was already compromised when you ran Spybot, then I suppose any nasties that were in it got preserved as well. I've never reset the hosts file, but if you do some Googling, you be able to find what you're looking for.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Wikipedia's article has a list of operating systems and where the Hosts file is located for each. You should be able to open it up with Notepad. Your utilities may be altering the Hosts file to redirect known malicious addresses back to your own computer (127.0.0.1 means "this computer"). If it looks like any of those lines contain common URLs like google.com, or shopping- or bank-related URLs, be very suspicious.

Computers don't slow down just when they get old. (They can feel slow compared to faster computers, but obviously that's different from the computer actually becoming slower.) They slow down because they're running more or more intensive software. If you generally don't install new programs on your computer often and you notice your machine is running slower than usual, you should be suspicious of that as well.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:44 pm

"Disable DNS?" What did that entail? Unless you want to navigate the entire internet using only IP addresses…?

Deleting everything out of your hosts file would be a good idea if you didn't have Spybot S&D and other legit programs which, as I said above, may actually be protecting you by using your Hosts file to redirect known malicious addresses back to your own computer.

skittlel
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by skittlel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:34 am

Some game cracks change the hosts file to make sure your pirated game doesn't go registering your game with the mothership.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Langslave wrote:Others said its not so hard, just open it with Notepad and if necessary delete everything except 127.0.0.1localhost.
Correct and yeah its easy, although as skittle mentioned in regards to cracks, there may be some programs that have a legit reason for putting shit in the hosts file. Generally speaking, however, and this is the larger issue, it is a sign of infection. Which means you'll have to then figure out what has infected you. If you are worried about that, just run HijackThis and and send me the log file and I can have a look at it for you.

FYI, a clean hosts fle should look something like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
----------------------

That's on my work XP machine. I can't say I know what it looks like in Vista or 7 though. Should be similar as the basic principle of the hosts file is the same.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Yeah, the default host file is pretty spartan, the only entries I have in mine besides localhost are to stop some program from "phoning home".

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Langslave wrote:The hosts file looks like that EXCEPT there must be at least a hundred or more lines in there. As I say though, I am a total novice in these things and dont REALLY know what Im doing.
Really? Doesn't sound good. Why don't you post the contents of the hosts file here so we can see what it says and try to figure out whether its a sign of infection or not?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am

It depends what plan (course :roll: ) you are on. It sounds like you might be on an 4mbs service. Worth asking your provider and seeing how much it would cost to upgrade if that is the case. If you are paying for 10 or more then it could be a contention issue. You never get the speed advertised unless you are the only person using the service in your little patch. Otherwise it gets shared out and the more people using it the slower everyone's is.

My advertised speed is 10 and I get about 7 to 8. I find that plenty to stream good quality TV for rugby and cricket which is the limit of my demands at the moment.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:13 pm

^What the good man above said, basically.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am

I have J Com as well and yeah could depend on your package. Mine is the middle of the road package (30 or 40 mbps or something) and a cable connection is not too bad (of course I don't get that) but cause my wireless router is a piece of shite 54g, its as slow as shit. And also as someone else mentioned, cable is shared and the more peeps that share it the slower it is. So if you are in a building using it with 300 others, then yeah it could be slow. But defo find out what speed you're paying for and then either pay for a bigger pipe or ditch it for fiber.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Ive got no idea about the net stuff. We changed to NTT's Optical fiber about a year and a bit ago. I got 9000 yen in vouchers for doing that fairly recently. Dont know why. That was their promise or something according to them. We also had a deal of 4400 yen for the first year and then 6600 after that per month. Im fine with it. I dont think I can ever go back to broadband now.

How bad does that sound? Some people are probably starving in NZ with shitty net and here I am slagging off broadband!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:50 pm

You are not just sharing the pipe with people in your apartment block, you are sharing with lots of people in your area. A tenth of the advertised bandwidth is not acceptable. They are skimping on their infrastructure and sharing the pipe with too many people. Maybe there are also a lot of keen file sharers/downloaders in your area soaking up the available bandwidth. In any case, you are not getting anything like what you were promised so something needs to change. Good luck.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Instead of worrying about things like speedtest.net, you need to look at how fast things are actually coming in and out at.

For example, I just tested my connection on speedtest.net, and it is claiming I am rated at 51.54mb/s

Fine.

This means nothing in practice. I just looked at my torrent client, and I am dling a DVD.iso at over 4 megabytes per second. Insanely fast.

Download something like an Ubuntu .iso from a Japanese server, and watch how quick it comes in.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Langslave

These are the people Ive bought my last 4 computers from; http://www.pc-koubou.jp/

They are VERY good and have actual shops. You can just order online with them if you want though. I must say they are good.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

I get the feeling that my last company had PCs made for them by this mob, and I also got one made for my wife many moons ago although she doesn't have it anymore so can't confirm.

Regardless, if yer worried about it, take a trip to Akiba and just cruise around. There are several places that will make machines for you. I was looking to buy a new desktop a while back and cruised around Akiba myself and found a few places that make them. From memory there was plenty of options at various prices so defo worth having a bit of a shop around.

150K yen for a desktop sounds like its a pretty decent rig though! (Unless it comes with a awesome monitor.)

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 am

Nah. You would have to order one off them without a OS and install it yourself. It is actually very easy to do that.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Langslave wrote:And Mac do you mean you think they were made by PC Tokyo? Were they OK rigs?
If they were indeed PC Tokyo rigs, yes they were very good. The mum-in-law has the wife's old one and its still going strong (7 yrs old). She only does a bit of net surfing and the odd email so its perfect for her. Oh, as well as a bit of skyping and photo organisation/storage.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Langslave wrote:Buggeration. My brother mailed me to say the money for the new PCs on the way but now Im getting nervous about ordering from the place I was going to, PC Tokyo. I cant find anyone who knows anything about them, they dont have a physical shop as such, you cant call them by phone, only e mail them. The site LOOKS all fine and dandy but I know that doesnt mean anything.
I though about heading down the track to the big electrical shops and seeing if they can sell me something without Japanese O.S. but I think its unlikely. I could buy one with J O.S., delete it and put Enlish O.S. on, but I believe that would void any warranty and I would like to have some kind of store backed help. My last 2 PCs were both put together by somebody else and J service guys just wouldnt even look at them.
The rig Im looking at works out to around 150,000 yen, which isnt exactly a lot, but for me at pres it is. And if PC Tokyo are a mob of fly-by-nighters or some other kind of shysters looking to scam people I dont want one of them to be me!
A couple of hours searching for alternatives on the net yielded only 2 alternatives, both in Osaka, so not much use here north of Tokyo. But only 2 other places I could find. Everything else was years old or dead. Its just that I tend to have bad luck with this kind of thing...waaah :cry:

Mate, Sofmap in Omiya.

I got an Intel i7 BEAST of a computer for 80,000yen. There is no way on earth you need to spend 150,000yen on a computer.

Send me a message and I'll give you the info.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 pm

There is no way you are going to need anything more powerful than this;

http://www.sofmap.com/product_detail/ex ... PC01170600

I got this one, and they chucked in a 23 inch monitor as part of the deal.

I have this thing running Linux Mint with Windows 7, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Arch Linux and Windows XP all running at the same time in Virtualbox, and it doesn't slow down a single bit.

I have tested it running 5 instances of Blender all rendering a full 3D animation and I could still jump between OSs like crazy, and run a 9 Workplace wide 3D rotating desktop.

For the stuff you are going to use it for, this is way. WAY overpowered, and still runs at under 80,000yen.

You can walk into Sofmap in Omiya and walk out with this in 20 minutes.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 pm

That's a nice rig! For under 80,000 yen? :clap: :luck:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am

Yeah, it is amazing. Sofmap is definitely the best place to go for computing in japan. The second hand section is superb, the tech staff know what they are talking about (the floor staff are your standard muppet, but that is to be expected)and they are not going to go bust any time soon.

Langslave - get that lenovo and spend the remaining 70k on chu-hi (^o^)/

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am

Langslave wrote:I just might get that, but chu-his? Im back on suds now, and I could use a new camera to go with the new PC...or maybe should put it in the bank to prop up my ever decreasing funds :cry:
If you have 70k yen for a camera, that'll get you a decent DSLR these days. :luck:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 am

Shawn wrote:That's a nice rig! For under 80,000 yen? :clap: :luck:
One catch: its a Lenovo. In my experience, they crap out quick. Most of the experiences I've had with them have been at work so luckily they didn't cost me but the wife got a brand new one at softbank and didn't last a yr. POS. :FU:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:22 pm

MacGyver; tell me what is made by Lenovo in this box, aside from the case (which was most likely bought from a generic case making shop)...

Also, in your experience, which part breaks with Lenovo computers?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Cadence wrote:MacGyver; tell me what is made by Lenovo in this box, aside from the case (which was most likely bought from a generic case making shop)...
The point is Lenovo buys the cheapest, crappiest stuff around and it fails. At least with a generic you get choice of parts, which is why I make my own. Errr...used to make my own (don't think I'll own another desktop again).
Cadence wrote:Also, in your experience, which part breaks with Lenovo computers?
Geez, where do I start...hard drives, cpus, wifi card, monitor (laptop)....I'm sure the list goes on cause we have a pile of them in the lab that the QA boys scavenge for parts. We used to buy IBM laptops and stayed with Lenovo when IBM sold their laptop unit off. But after the troubles we had, we moved to Dell; I mean the whole company, not just my dept. No idea if the rest of the co. had issues with them and while I'd say there were other economic considerations (we're a big company so it would have been a big decision to switch) but I have no doubt it would have at least something to do with the crappy nature of Lenovo PCs.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Langslave wrote:For 2) Cadence tells me Id be unlikely to find one with no O/S for a similar price.
Yeah he's prolly right considering you'd be buying a model with an OEM Windows version on-board whereas you'd be buying a retail version on your own (OEM and retail versions are the same thing but the computer maker gets OEM versions in bulk and at cheap (think wholesale) prices).
Langslave wrote:For 3) is it as simple as deleting J Windows and installing E Windows?
Yeah it wouldn't be hard but this is a road that could be troublesome for you as well as costing you more (obviously buying one version is cheaper than 2, even if one of those versions is OEM).
Langslave wrote:For 4) I downloaded Knoppix (supposedly a smaller, easier version of Linux) last night and had a look at it, but Im already confused. There seems to be a learning curve that Im not sure I have time for right now.
I don't recommend Ubuntu or any version of Linux for the layman UNLESS they want to learn how to use it and about computing in general. I'm no expert but I don't consider myself a layman either and I installed Ubuntu on my old IBM laptop a few yrs back because it was old and slow with Windows and I wanted to learn about Ubuntu. I enjoyed using Ubuntu but at times I found doing some things a challenge (for example I found installing J fonts and an IME difficult and time-consuming whereas on Windows its a piece of piss). I found being familiar with the command window and DOS commands essential in the end. But on the other hand, the net is full of helpful advice and solutions from Ubuntu users so when you run into trouble, there is help out there.
Langslave wrote:For 5) would that be do-able? Again, is it as simple as that?
I believe it is. In fact don't think of Ultimate in one language. There are many languages and you choose your own, much like Ubuntu. But again I've never done it myself so I dunno. I'm sure there would be a demo somewhere on the net if you were curious.

I recommend you cruise around Akiba for a morning or arvo and have a look. There's plenty of places that do sell PCs with E Windows installed on them. The only question is are those PCs in your price range? Only you can answer that question. Luckily you don't need a machine with all the bells and whistles for your purposes. The only thing I'd recommend is get as much RAM as possible. Other than that you don't need to spend a butt load of money on it.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm

MacGyver wrote:Geez, where do I start...hard drives, cpus, wifi card, monitor (laptop)
CPU; not made by Lenovo
Hard Drive; not made by Lenovo
Wifi card; not made by Lenovo
Monitor; which parts were breaking?

The k320 IdeaCentre i recommended to Langslave is an incredible machine, and it seems you are just stirring things up for no reason other than attempting to demonstrate some kind of assumed 733t prowess.
MacGyver wrote:
Langslave wrote:For 2) Cadence tells me Id be unlikely to find one with no O/S for a similar price.
Yeah he's prolly right considering you'd be buying a model with an OEM Windows version on-board whereas you'd be buying a retail version on your own (OEM and retail versions are the same thing but the computer maker gets OEM versions in bulk and at cheap (think wholesale) prices).
Wrong; OEM versions usually come coupled with a proprietary recovery partition, which causes havoc with dual-booting. Even if you are going to stick with the exact same OS that comes with the machine, you are best wiping it and starting from scratch to get the drive architecture as simple as possible.

Not really that relevant to the topic in hand, but something to consider.
MacGyver wrote:
Langslave wrote:For 3) is it as simple as deleting J Windows and installing E Windows?
Yeah it wouldn't be hard but this is a road that could be troublesome for you as well as costing you more (obviously buying one version is cheaper than 2, even if one of those versions is OEM).
Would not be troublesome at all. You don't delete the original, you just stick the install CD in the drive, restart the machine, and the new install wipes the old one for you. Piece of piss. Would actually make things run a lot smoother, and would get rid of all the proprietary crap that will no doubt come bundled with the box in a bid to make it brand unique from all the other thousands of Intel boxes out there with a different companies sticker on.
MacGyver wrote:
Langslave wrote:For 4) I downloaded Knoppix (supposedly a smaller, easier version of Linux) last night and had a look at it, but Im already confused. There seems to be a learning curve that Im not sure I have time for right now.
I don't recommend Ubuntu or any version of Linux for the layman UNLESS they want to learn how to use it and about computing in general. I'm no expert but I don't consider myself a layman either and I installed Ubuntu on my old IBM laptop a few yrs back because it was old and slow with Windows and I wanted to learn about Ubuntu. I enjoyed using Ubuntu but at times I found doing some things a challenge (for example I found installing J fonts and an IME difficult and time-consuming whereas on Windows its a piece of piss). I found being familiar with the command window and DOS commands essential in the end. But on the other hand, the net is full of helpful advice and solutions from Ubuntu users so when you run into trouble, there is help out there.
Ubuntu / Linux Mint are the ones to go for when it comes to Linux, and are absolutely NOT difficult to use now. Maybe when you used them a few years back you found them hard, but honestly, they are wonderfully easy now. I find them easier to use than any other OS out there; installing J fonts and IME has been totally revised and works like lightnening. The Software Manager is AWESOME compared to how you have to find and install software in Windows. All in a single window; you just click the software you want to install, Linux finds it for you on the net, and installs it for you automatically. No restarting of the machine required. Infact, I haven't turned off my machine in 3 months!
MacGyver wrote:
Langslave wrote:For 5) would that be do-able? Again, is it as simple as that?
I believe it is. In fact don't think of Ultimate in one language. There are many languages and you choose your own, much like Ubuntu. But again I've never done it myself so I dunno. I'm sure there would be a demo somewhere on the net if you were curious.

I recommend you cruise around Akiba for a morning or arvo and have a look. There's plenty of places that do sell PCs with E Windows installed on them. The only question is are those PCs in your price range? Only you can answer that question. Luckily you don't need a machine with all the bells and whistles for your purposes. The only thing I'd recommend is get as much RAM as possible. Other than that you don't need to spend a butt load of money on it.
You can install Ultimate in any language you like. I have an install disc you can borrow to test out if you like, so you can see how it works.

I still think you should go with Linux Mint though, and if you want Windows, you can shove it in Virtualbox (which again, runs like a dream and is impossible NOT to understand).

Keep the questions coming. No doubt me and MacGyver will disagree on a number of things, but it is all good!

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Langslave wrote:Thanks Mac, all advice appreciated. Even buying one with J O/S, deleting it and buying and installing E O/S from PC Tokyo (OEM version about 35,000 yen) would still be cheaper than buying the whole rig from them, by about 40-50,000 yen. Also I could give the J O/S to my missus and she could upgrade from Vista. Well, Id have to do it for her that is.
You would not be able to do this. The OS will be installed on the machine, and will come with recovery discs, but you will not be provided with a standard installer. Shame, I know.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Cadence wrote:CPU; not made by Lenovo
Hard Drive; not made by Lenovo
Wifi card; not made by Lenovo
Monitor; which parts were breaking?
Lenovo don't make the parts; yeah no shit. Which part of "they buy the cheapest shit and therefore break" don't you understand?
Cadence wrote:The k320 IdeaCentre i recommended to Langslave is an incredible machine, and it seems you are just stirring things up for no reason other than attempting to demonstrate some kind of assumed 733t prowess.
I profess no "733t" prowess. I'm just stating my experience. Maybe it is a great machine and if he goes ahead and buys it, good luck to him. His money so his decision. I have a Dell and many ppl tell my how they are shit. Their experience so fine with me. But my experience has been good (so far). but then I researched the shit out of it and looked around for ages before buying so maybe my good experience comes down to my research, which is what Langslave is doing so good on him. You shouldn't get so bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you. Don't you work in IT or have experience working in IT? Then you'll know that everyone has a different opinion about hardware, software, and gadgets in general, even though those people are knowledgeable in "tech".
Cadence wrote:Wrong; OEM versions usually come coupled with a proprietary recovery partition, which causes havoc with dual-booting. Even if you are going to stick with the exact same OS that comes with the machine, you are best wiping it and starting from scratch to get the drive architecture as simple as possible.

Not really that relevant to the topic in hand, but something to consider.
:huh: Not even close to what I was talking about but whatever.
Cadence wrote:Would not be troublesome at all.
Perhaps not for you nor I, but, and no offence at all intended to Langslave, as he has stated he is very much a computer novice he may struggle. If he wants to give it a crack, then by all means do so cause I agree its not hard. I just don't like to give advice to people saying "yeah its piss easy" and they come back saying they found it difficult and, thx to said advice, farked something up.
Cadence wrote:Ubuntu / Linux Mint are the ones to go for when it comes to Linux, and are absolutely NOT difficult to use now.
The only Linux machines I use now have older versions of Ubuntu on them so maybe the latest version is as easy as you say (I prolly should put the latest version on my home pc and dual boot and mess around with it). If it is as easy as you say then yes Ubuntu is an excellent choice cause you can pick your language and its free. As I say plenty of help on the net too if you run into trouble. Plus there is a Linux version of most, if not all, apps the average person would use or at least comparable app. But people have been saying for yrs, even when I used Ubuntu, how easy it was even when I used it, even though I didn't think it was that easy (maybe they meant in comparison using a PC in the old days with DOS???).

Apparently you guys are mates so once Langslave buys his new PC why not go around to his, install it for him, and show him the ropes? No really I'm being serious. Usually the easiest way to help someone out (giving support over the phone is such a pain when its so much easier just to go to their place and sort it out for them). I don't mean every little issue, just installing and giving him a tutorial for using the OS.