Smart Phones

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Smart Phones

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:13 am

With the release of the iPhone 4, I thought I’d throw some random thoughts on to paper for those of you thinking about getting a smart phone. I have now had a 3Gs for 6 months and while its not a 4, its mostly the same with 4 having a few improvements, although my 3Gs runs on the same OS. If anyone has another type of smart phone, go ahead and tell us all about it.

Good:
-- Its well designed and looks “nice”, which is important for some. Not so much for me but its certainly not a bad thing.
The iPhone has by far the most apps and there is generally a free one or lite version of the app you’re looking for.
Device consolidation: Has an mp3 player on-board, as well as video player and web browser. There are heaps of apps too that will give you easy access to online content, such as TIME mag app, AP app, and such like, and there’s even an AP app for the WC!

-- Multitasking: Finally! Although I’m told that no apps have been written to take advantage of this new feature in iOS4. Certainly none of the apps I have now work once you close them.

-- Accessories: Heaps of them, and many 3rd party. For example, I have a case that I can attach to my bike so I can use bike apps, the map, or a navi app when I go riding. There’s even a recharger accessory that you can hook up to a dynamo and recharge the battery. I haven’t got it as I don’t have the need for it, but I would if I go riding more than an hour at a time (the battery wouldn’t last much longer than that).

--Calendar: Can be synched with Google Calendar. Not as easy as it should be (mainly due to compatibility issues between Apple and Google) but nonetheless works quite well once up and running. Annoying that you have to manually sync on your iPhone once you make any changes in your Google Calendar.

Bad:
-- I occasionally have problems with apps crashing. I also have an app that won’t run if the mp3 player (iPod) is running, even though the iPod is supposed to run with everything (until recently there was no multitasking capabilities).

-- Battery: Life is pretty average. I generally have to recharge my phone once a day, and sometimes twice a day. You also can’t replace it when it dies. That is, I believe you have to send it back to Apple and get them to change it. You can’t just whip out the old one and put in a new one yourself. And there’s no portable charger available for the iPhone that I’m aware of unlike other phones.

-- Bluetooth: V2.0 but you need V2.1 if you want to use the forward/rewind on many Bluetooth headsets/devices. Not a massive deal but it would be nice when I’m walking or riding along to be able to hit fwd/back on my Bluetooth headset without having to operate the phone itself. And how hard could it be for Apple to upgrade it? Thought they would have with the iOS4 but apparently not.

-- iTunes: Its not that bad per se but it sux everything has to go through it to put on my phone. Plus I can’t use iTunes on 2 different computers, which sux considering I spend so much time on my work computer (and it would also suck for those that have a desktop and a laptop and would like to sync iTunes on those computers). I also have to convert all videos to a format that the iPhone can play, which can take a fair while depending on how big the file is. And while it should be a matter of dragging and dropping music into iTunes, that’s not what I’ve experienced. Organising anything in iTunes is also harder than it should be. It shouldn’t be as hard as it is to manage music/videos etc.

-- Safari: Slow as shit. Luckily Apple finally let on another web browser (Opera mini) and that is much faster than Safari.

-- Antenna: Reception in my house is intermittent and I can never get a good signal. I basically can’t take calls in my house cause even if I am in range, it drops out quickly losing the call. I have a few other mates in the same boat and when out and about the signal can be iffy as well. Apparently they tried to address this in 4 by moving the antenna but fucked it up – if you hold iPhone 4 with your left hand you can’t get reception. Steve Jobs is quoted as saying “All phones have sensitive areas. Just avoid holding it this way.” Thx Steve. Dickhead.

-- Alarm: I use my phone as an alarm clock; used phones as alarm clocks for years now. But the iPhone alarm will only come on if the phone is switched on. Meaning that you have to leave your phone on all night. Besides the possibility of being woken up by an email or call (although I can, and do, put it into inflight mode, but I shouldn’t have to), I find the battery runs down a fair bit at night even if the screen is off and nothing is running. So I usually recharge my phone overnight on my dresser.

-- Network: In Japan, the iPhone is only available on Softbank so you may need to change networks, as I had to do. Is Softbank better than the rest for price, reception, and service? Not a question I can answer but the point is you don’t get a choice (whereas Android sets are available on all 3 networks now I believe with AU finally releasing a smart phone).

-- Flash: Doesn’t work on iPhone. Thanks Steve. Basically means a lot of content on the net can’t be viewed on your iPhone. Yes I’ve heard all the arguments for both sides and working in security I know the risks but until there is something better Jobs should allow it on the iPhone. Sure mobile flash doesn’t work well but the moment with no flash support it doesn’t work at all! Something is better than nothing.

-- Address Book: Cannot be organized in iTunes, which is a major hassle. When I converted from AU, the iPhone doesn’t display them correctly (and a whole bunch of email addresses and other bullshit got in there as well as is). To make matters worse, when I had issues with apps not working correctly when I first got the phone, the Softbank people told me to reset the phone. That made matters worse cause then all contacts doubled! So now I have something like 800 or so entries in my address book, which aren’t organized well, more than half of which I want to delete or merge with other contacts (for example in a lot of cases I have the person’s name listed twice, one is an email entry the other a phone number). Unfortunately the only way to do that is to manually copy and paste the details (when merging) and delete any entries that are redundant. It’s a massive job that will take hours. I really need to do it, and have done some in short stretches, but it should be this hard.

General info:
Plan: I have the all you can use data plan, which works on a sliding scale. Starts at Y1,500/month and works on usage. However it is capped at Y5,980 so no matter how much data you download/upload, you won’t pay more than that. Even for the occasional net usage, you’ll be paying Y5,980 though so don’t worry about trying to save money. I also pay Y2,000 base for calls (couldn’t tell you how much it is per minute though) and calls to other Softbank users is free between 1am and 9pm.

Overall:
I love having a smart phone and my next phone will definitely be another smart phone but will it be an iPhone? Maybe, but I will definitely be shopping around. Android looks pretty slick and by the time I get another phone there will probably be many more options. Can I recommend an iPhone? Sure, it does the job but I will say this: Its very far from perfect so don’t believe the hype nor iPhone fanboys waxing lyrical. I’d also recommend that you do your research first. There are more than enough alternatives on the market now that you shouldn’t be rushing to buy an iPhone without looking at the competition first.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Smart Phones

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

I've been a big supporter of the iPhone since I got my 3GS about a year ago. I don't really have that many complaints about it, sure having to use an "authorised" iTunes is a little annoying.

As for some of the OPs problems; does any phone continue as an alarm even after its turned off? I know none of my previous ones did. Either way, you could just put the phone into airplane mode before you go to sleep, that way you won't be bothered by messages, emails or phone calls in the middle of the night.

As for your address book, you should be able to organise it directly through windows. But if you can't export them to windows, you could definitely sync them with a google account. Log into google, it has functions to remove and merge duplicate entries and things like that, then merge it back (if you can't do a 2-way sync with google, export your google contacts to windows/osx and sync it to your iphone from there).

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 am

lordCONAN wrote:As for some of the OPs problems; does any phone continue as an alarm even after its turned off? I know none of my previous ones did.
All my previous phones have been able to turn on after having been turned off. Some the alarm did the trick, others you had to set a time for them to come on on top of setting the alarm, which is lame, but at least they came on.
lordCONAN wrote:Either way, you could just put the phone into airplane mode before you go to sleep, that way you won't be bothered by messages, emails or phone calls in the middle of the night.
That's what I usually do but really, Apple FAIL. The point is I shouldn't *have* to. Its piss easy functionality to implement but Apple, for whatever ghey Apple reason, don't do it.
lordCONAN wrote:As for your address book, you should be able to organise it directly through windows. But if you can't export them to windows, you could definitely sync them with a google account. Log into google, it has functions to remove and merge duplicate entries and things like that, then merge it back (if you can't do a 2-way sync with google, export your google contacts to windows/osx and sync it to your iphone from there).
Not sure what you mean by "through Windows"? It can't be done through iTunes so not sure how else it can be done. I see what you are saying by doing it through Google. Ideally I don't want to do that because there is far too many entries in my gmail account to be easily manageable in a phone but I guess that's the only way to do it without using the phone. Again simple functionality that Apple can't do. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for all the fanboys saying that Apple is perfect! :bang:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:iPhone vs. HTC EVO & HTC EVO vs iPhone

About right.
Ahhhhhh....nerds that make this shit. God bless 'em! :thumbsup:

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 am

In windows vista and 7 (not sure about XP), in your home folder where you have access to My Document, My Pictures and what not there should be a folder called contacts. You should be able to export your iPhone contacts to there, and set up iTunes to sync it with that folder.

Each of your contacts should be stored as a .contact file.

Or if you use MS Outlook or Exchange, they also have contact handling abilities.

I think Apple didn't program it directly into iTunes because OSX already has an address book, and so does windows ...

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:05 am

Tar for that. I'll have a look tonight when I get home. I edited my Google contacts/address book to clean it up and then synced with iTunes. Mostly worked but unfortunately the iPhone doesn't render the names well. Grrrrr....So I've still got to do some grunt work in fixing that up. Gmail -> :thumbsup: Apple -> :moon:

skittlel
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by skittlel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 am

I have a Samsung Moment, and it's all right.

Not as strong as a netbook, but it can do the basics, like check your e-mail, run a dictionary program, some games (think flash games), makes phone calls, sends messages, runs Anki... it's all right.

My only gripe with it is that it seems to be bugging out lately because I use it too heavily (install and uninstalling dozens of apps a week, using it to hop on other people's wireless to print stuff... etc)

Padraig
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Padraig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm

This might be the right thread to ask about the Samsung Galaxy in, but does anyone know how it stacks up against the iPhone 4?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Im going to get one of those myself. In fact, after work Im going down to Docomo.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Not iPhone vs Galaxy per se, but this may be of interest to you:

http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=60 ... ET-SSA&s=5

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:41 pm

I have had the HTC Desire for a while. Love it!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:55 am

Goddam Docomo didnt order enough of the Galaxy. Now I have to wait for an undetermined amount of time to get mine.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Goddam autocorrect! I was trying to send "Fuck a duck" and instead got "fuck a dick." Now I dont care how good terms you are on with your clients--and I am on swearing terms with mine--but if you tell your client "fuck a dick... "

And while Im talking about this...the stupid dictionary in these wont delete words! I keep trying to type in "A-N-D" and get "ANF" and when it comes to other words its fucking annoying. No matter how many times you delete them it still recognizes that word. Mind you its not even an English word to start with!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Enjoy!
http://damnyouautocorrect.com/
http://fyouautocorrect.com/

BTW, how's the Galaxy going? I've read a lot of good things about it. Want one myself but au don't have them (I'm heading back to au once my contract with Softcrap is done).

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Yeah actually pretty good mate. The only other thing I dont like is the battery usage. I bought a spare its that bad!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 am

I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask a small question so I'll revive this one as it seems appropriate enough.

So I got rid of my iPhail and got a Samsung Galaxy 2S. Wow talk about night and day difference. Nice to have a phone that's not a piece of shit and gets reception like everywhere and not just a few places....I don't want to compare them too much cause to be fair my iPhail was a 3GS and old shitty tech but suffice to say the Samsung has got it covered in pretty much every department so far except one: I can't find a good podcast app. Yeah I know there are hundreds of them, mostly free, but I dunno which one works. Yeah I should do some research but the funny thing is the one I am using now I got from a top 5 list (the only free podcast player on the list) and it just doesn't work. That is it doesn't download podcasts well. I would prefer it do it automatically for me but manually would be fine but it doesn't even do that well. Anyone know a good podcast player? It can be as basic and simple as shit. All I want it to do is make it easy for me to subscribe to podcasts and then download them for me, preferably automatically when the podcast becomes available but I will settle for having to do it manually. Currently I'm having to stream podcasts and that's far from ideal for me cause I often only have time to listen to part of a podcast and starting from where I left off is a major hassle.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 pm

HA! I just got my galaxy s II last week. So far so good. I dont like apps. The only one I have which I like is yahoo auctions for my side business. The next thing I need to do is get a spare battery for it cos like the other one they chew through batteries. And did you notice how fricken hot they get?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 pm

allblacks wrote:I dont like apps.
:huh: Not really a smartphone if you don't use apps....
allblacks wrote:The next thing I need to do is get a spare battery for it cos like the other one they chew through batteries.
True dat although no more than my iPhail AND we CAN get a spare battery if we want! How awesome is that?!?!?! :clap: Steve wouldn't let me get a spare battery for his phone....Don't think I'll actually need a spare battery (the iPhail got me into the habit of keeping a charger at work as well as home and taking a charger with me every time I went somewhere seeing as it needed to be charged twice a day) but I think I'll get one anyway for piece of mind. Was out last night with mates and as they came in dribs and drabs and I was the contact point, it got quite a beating usage wise. While it didn't die until about half an hour before I went home at 2am, I was concerned it would die before that and peeps coming late wouldn't be able to get hold of me. So for piece of mind a second battery would be awesome. I just read this morning that there is an extra life Samsung battery but dunno if they have it in Japan.
allblacks wrote:And did you notice how fricken hot they get?
Either mine hasn't cause it hasn't been an issue or no more than the iPhail, which would mean that's fairly standard for smartphones (supposedly the iPad gets really hot as well; dunno about other tablets).

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 pm

allblacks wrote: they chew through batteries
Go into settings and disable background services. That should more than double your battery life.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I know I defeat the purpose of having one! The only game app I allow is world cup cricket. Indiagames or something. Best score of 177 of five overs. How is that possible? No balls hit for six. Over and over. HAHA

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am

So I ended up pretty much doing the "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" thing and just picking another (after the first one I originally downloaded wasn't to my liking) podcast player and while it was free, to get the "goodies" you had to pay for them. Turns out the app is way more than just a podcast player but I don't want any of the other shit and luckily for me its actually a really good podcast player. I had to pay about 500 yen to get it to download podcasts independent of a PC, which is what I wanted although I didn't want to pay for it, at least not before I tested it, so I begrudgingly paid the money and prayed I wasn't flushing 500 yen down the drain. Luckily it works perfectly and exactly how I wanted it to work. Must say I'm very happy with it. Its called "Double Twist" for those that might be interested.

And the more I use my Android phone, the more I love it and wonder how I put up with that Apple POS for so long. I must admit I am also very disappointed with some tech writers that I used to respect. If they think that the iPhone really is the best smartphone on the market they have no clue about what they are talking about. I'll admit that its possible (and likely) that every Android phone is different so some are better than others (to be fair my wife has a Regza phone and its a piece of dogshit; even my iPhail 3crapS was better) but to say that the iPhail is the best on the market isn't even close to correct. My Samgsung and an iPhail aren't in the same ballpark; they're not even the same game. While its not perfect, I'd say it does almost every single task better than an iPhail.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a bit of a groan about swype/text input on my Galaxy S II. It doesnt actually seem to learn your patterns too well. And if you switch from to Japanese input then back to swype it magically forgets to put in the autospace between words. This is even if you re-apply the settings! Annoying! And it will try to add a new word to the dictionary at every turn. The original galaxy s I had would add them but not let you delete them from the dictionary very easily. Grr!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Swype is awesome. Waaaaaay better than just tapping on the keypad. No its not perfect but then to be fair you really shouldn't be typing long messages with a phone, any phone, to begin with (my wife got the Regza phone so she could use a physical keyboard. That'll learn her cause the Regza is a turd and she hates it). I use ATOK for Japanese input as swype is garbage for Japanese. Now while this is a negative point, it is still better than the iPhail. Why? Cause the iPhail doesn't have swype and typing in English is a pain in the arse. The Japanese input is good on an iPhail tho, although ATOK is very similar to the standard input on the iPhail.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 am

With my iPhone 4S contract up, I just got myself the new 5S.

Certainly is a snappy piece of hardware, and the fingerprint id'ing works remarkably well for now.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 am

I just got my third Galaxy S. This one is a S3 I bought used from Sofmap 2nd hand. I must admit the S2 I had before was crap after the software update I did on it a while ago. The battery simply wouldnt last very long even after I switched it out and got a more durable one. I guess the moral to the story is read online before you do software updates as I did find out later that EVERYONE else had the same problem!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 am

lordCONAN wrote:the fingerprint id'ing works remarkably well for now.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 am

allblacks wrote:I just got my third Galaxy S. This one is a S3 I bought used from Sofmap 2nd hand. I must admit the S2 I had before was crap after the software update I did on it a while ago. The battery simply wouldnt last very long even after I switched it out and got a more durable one. I guess the moral to the story is read online before you do software updates as I did find out later that EVERYONE else had the same problem!
I recently had a software update (they're forced so there's not much you can do) that screwed up my phone somewhat; I didn't lose any data and didn't affect performance. I just lost all the screens, like the search screen, bookmark screen, etc. So I reset it and good as gold. With the ease of backing up shit (through Gmail and Kies) it's a piece of piss to reset and then restore everything. Within an hour I was back up and running with all my apps, data, contacts, etc. Apple in contrast was a nightmare. Oh, I've still got an S2 and while it is getting old, I'm gonna keep it for at least until February when it'll be 2. I plan to keep using it until I run it into the ground. I'll either get another Galaxy or a HTC One. I'd love a Galaxy Note but au doesn't have them. :anger:

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 pm

I am finally shopping for a smart phone. I want to get an unlocked SP for my travels overseas (camera, text msgs, maybe audio recorder). Know nothing about those gadgets but I have considered either the Nokia Lumia (520, older model) or the Samsung Galaxy S2/3. Looking to spend less than Y20k/$200USD.

Would appreciate advice from those in the know. Thanks!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 pm

I've still got a Galaxy S2. Starting to get a bit slow but at 2.5 years old it's expected. You can't got wrong with a Samsung I reckon. Really good phones. Can't say I know anything about a Nokia. As you have a budget, that'll probably be the limiting factor so I guess my only advice would be get something as high spec as your budget will allow.