Smart Phones

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
steki47

Re: Smart Phones

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm

MacGyver wrote:I've still got a Galaxy S2. Starting to get a bit slow but at 2.5 years old it's expected. You can't got wrong with a Samsung I reckon. Really good phones. Can't say I know anything about a Nokia. As you have a budget, that'll probably be the limiting factor so I guess my only advice would be get something as high spec as your budget will allow.
Thanks! Nokia uses Windows 8 and I am not a fan. I was looking at the S2 but might pay extra for the S3. Assume a newer model is better.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Here are some comparisons:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compar ... /6330,5106
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... s2-1078673

In short, yes the S3 is better (I guess not surprisingly seeing as it is newer) but whether that's what you want/need is of course up to you.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Great links, thanks! I'm being cheap, but the differences don't seem too great. Would like to anticipate obsolescence in the next 2-3 years, though.

In any case, bought tickets to Thailand for August. Going through Issan into Laos. Martial law be damned!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Anyone know anywhere in Japan I can get an unlocked Android? Or even OS that ships to Japan? Considering a Note 3 (or a Google Nexus 5 but can get the Google off their site easily enough).