PS3 Upnp

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

PS3 Upnp

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:33 pm

So I want to transfer files wirelessly from my PC to my PS3. I've set up several different media severs (WMP12, Tversity, and PS3 Media Server), not running at once of course. But none work. At least they don't recognise the PS3, nor does the PS3 recognise any of the media servers. A mate at work got PS3 Media Server working with no hassles at all. Vuze also has a devices transferring setting, which I use to transfer files to iTunes/my iPhone and it works perfectly but again it doesn't recognise my PS3 even though it has capability to do so.

I think the issue lies on the PS3 side. I looked at the settings and Upnp is enabled but it is appearing as "Not available". I went through the process of enabling it again anyway just in case but no dice. I updated my PS3 system/firmware the other day but again no dice. I checked my router settings and Upnp is enabled on that too. I've done a lot of googling, and while there are others that have had this problem, the solution is to usually enable Upnp on the PS3 and/or on the router. Mine is already enabled on both so that's obviously not the issue. Others have also solved it by using a wired connection, but that is not an option for me (my router is on the 1st floor but my PS3 is on the 2nd floor).

FYI, the PS3 connects to the Internet with no dramas; it just won't recognise the media servers on my PC. My firewall is configured to allow the media servers and I even tried turning it off to see what would happen. Again, no dice.

Anyone got any ideas?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ripslyme
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Re: PS3 Upnp

Unread post by ripslyme » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 am

I use PS3 Media Server on my desktop, and it worked immediately from the install. As soon as the install was done and the server refreshed, my PS3 found it and could stream media from my PC wirelessly. I also tried doing the same using my netbook with WMP12, but it was totally buggy.

At any rate, I think your problem is on the PS3 end of things. After I get off from work today, I'll check my PS3/PC settings and hopefully have a better idea of what the problem might be.
all this negative energy just makes me [b]stronger[/b]

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am

An update for those interested/the archives.

I connected my PC to my PS3 with a crossover cable and bingo. Looking like Upnp is defo the culprit but not on the PS3 though (well, prolly not). Prolly an issue with the router. As Upnp is enabled on the router I might have to start using port forwarding or some other solution...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ripslyme
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by ripslyme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:12 pm

oh yeah, sorry for not getting back into this thread, but I couldn't see anything on the PS3 that would have done it.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 am

ripslyme wrote:oh yeah, sorry for not getting back into this thread, but I couldn't see anything on the PS3 that would have done it.
Yeah no worries. I'm pretty sure now that its actually the router but until I start messing around with it, I won't know for sure. As I mentioned, an initial look showed that Upnp was enabled on the router but there could be something else at play. For the time being I've got it hooked up with a crossover cable so that'll do in the short term. And its sweet being able to use the PS3 as an entertainment box, which is what it was designed to do.

ripslyme
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by ripslyme » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 pm

MacGyver wrote: And its sweet being able to use the PS3 as an entertainment box, which is what it was designed to do.
This. I'm pretty sure my usage would track something like this:
90% - Watching videos (20% BluRay, 30% DVD, 40% downloads :twisted: )
5% - Listening to music
5% - Playing PS3 games

lol.

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 pm

i just play games on mine. cant be arsed with the home entertainment hub nonsense. will splash out on a blu ray now and again. latest batman film is astoundingly good, cos they filmed the bank job in imax.
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:15 am

Langslave wrote:Bit of a bump, anyone played GT5 yet? Im trying to convince myself I shouldnt move up to PS3 but Im having wet dreams about GT5, should I seek counselling?
Haven't played it yet but personally I say wait. 5 years from now PS3s will be in junk bins for 2000 yen each like GameCubes, Dreamcasts and PSs are now. And GT5 will be 100 yen, which is what I paid for GT3 and 4's Prologue.

This is probably just the cheapskate in my speaking, but I enjoy keeping myself about 7 or 8 years behind the tech cycle, at least in terms of home entertainment. I get everything for almost free that way.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Langslave wrote:Im usually that far behind tech-wise, the camera on my mobile is better than my actual digital camera. In fact its so crap I rarely ever use it now, but of course it has no re-sale value. But Im only ever behind occasionally by choice, mostly its my parlous financial status that keeps me that way. I can get a 2nd hand PS3 now for 20,000 and my missus said shed buy me the game for Christmas.....yes..no..yes..no...
Sweet. If you're getting one for Christmas, then definitely get GT5, it looks awesome.

My better half is getting me Donkey Kong Hockey Game and Watch for Xmas. 1984's answer to the PSP.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Get a PS3 mate. We can play online together, and shout at American teenagers.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 pm

My gamertag is fact-hunt79 if anyone fancies some PS3 gaming, any time.