Amazon Kindle, etc.

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shimano
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Amazon Kindle, etc.

Unread post by Shimano » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Evening.

Any of you gentlemen using Amazon Kindle, or similar?

I am in the market for a portable text reader, so wondered what you all think.

If any of you do have one, or equivalent, what kind of price did you pay for it, where did you get it, what are the language options, etc.

Thinking of hitting up Akihabara, but to be honest, I get a hell of a lot better effort to result ratio just sat here. If only my shitty apartment was full of aki-loli...

So, any thoughts?

Cheers. :cheers:

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Amazon Kindle, etc.

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:51 am

I liked the look of the Nook, Barne's and Nobles ebook reader. Looked pretty swank with the colour touch screen at the bottom. But from the videos I saw of it, it seemed slow and unresponsive.

If Apple bring out a hybrid screen tablet, or anyone else for that matter, I'd be more tempted.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:43 pm

I've heard some good things about Kindle and slightly-less-good things about the nook, though I haven't tried either myself. (I don't think it's entirely fair to judge one of these readers as being "unresponsive" because the fact that they're slow, ultra-low-power devices is kind of the point.) Personally, I'm not ready to give up paper. But even if you are, I still think there's a lot of dust to settle in this particular market at this point - no shame in waiting a year or two and seeing how things will settle, if at all.

I don't think the Apple tablet is really going to happen.

Shimano
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Shimano » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with you about waiting a while.

I really need something I can make notes on, as that is essential to the way I learn (I am a pretty hands on learner, and need to scribble all over books before the info sinks in properly).

If none of these devices allow for quick and decent note taking, I will wait until they do.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:18 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:I(I don't think it's entirely fair to judge one of these readers as being "unresponsive" because the fact that they're slow, ultra-low-power devices is kind of the point.)
For the nook I wasn't commenting on it's e-paper unresponsiveness, that's expected with a technology so young. More the touchscreen lcd at the bottom of the nook being unresponsive to touch.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:16 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:I don't think the Apple tablet is really going to happen.
There seems to be mounting evidence that I'm gonna be totally wrong about this - there's been a lot of buzz recently about an upcoming "iSlate" to be announced later this month. Probably the most damning evidence is this article from a former marketing manager at Apple who sees evidence that Apple is producing "controlled leaks" about their own upcoming product in order to buzz it up and judge reactions.

Shimano
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Shimano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:39 am

Microsoft have publicly announced something similar.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 am

Do you mean Ballmer's CES speech? He didn't really announce anything so much as discuss third-party products which were already known about.

Shimano
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Shimano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:56 am

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:38 pm

You know, it's interesting - that was the first time that any company has ever publicly used the word "slate" to describe what had up until then been known as "tablet" PCs. Would Ballmer have used that word even if Apple's device were not rumored to be called the iSlate?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am

Shimano wrote:Yeah, I agree with you about waiting a while.

I really need something I can make notes on, as that is essential to the way I learn (I am a pretty hands on learner, and need to scribble all over books before the info sinks in properly).

If none of these devices allow for quick and decent note taking, I will wait until they do.
I caught the end of a discussion about one of these on the news this morning (I didn’t catch the name of it and can’t find a link to the news story….) that folds out like a thin book with the left hand side being an ebook reader on which you can take notes and the right hand side being a colour screen to watch movies etc.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Did it look like the device about two thirds of the way down on this page? If so, then it's still just a prototype, so don't hold your breath for it - and its "reader" screen looks to be the smallest of any on the market.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:Did it look like the device about two thirds of the way down on this page? If so, then it's still just a prototype, so don't hold your breath for it - and its "reader" screen looks to be the smallest of any on the market.
No it was bigger than that.

The note taking part of it looked a bit rough like an etch-a-sketch but I'm sure they'll improve this by demand. Agree on waiting a while to see what they come up with before buying one myself.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:55 am

These look OK.

Lots of others on the way also:

MSI Windpad
Asus EE Pad
RIM Blackpad
HP Slate 500
Samsung Galaxy Tab
Dell Streak

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am

This might be good ... if it ever gets released.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:33 am

Hi

I have ab HTC Desire phone, which is linked to Amazon Kindle. I can down load books pretty good into that.

My buddy at work has a Kindle and it does look excellent though.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:07 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:I don't think the Apple tablet is really going to happen.
…heh.

Anyway, thanks for bumping this thread. I actually went ahead and sprung for a Kindle the other day… the cheapest version of the most recent model (WiFi only; no cellular antenna) is now US$140, which definitely puts it in impulse purchase range. After tinkering with it the last few days, I'm actually pretty impressed. Reading on it is actually pretty nice, though I wish the background were lighter (it's not quite white; more of a light gray, but still darker than book paper) to provide more contrast. Seeing images and diagrams can also be unpleasant; they tend to look blocky and JPEG-y (though perhaps this is something that changes from book to book), and sometimes the screen just isn't big enough to provide enough detail for an image. But on the whole, it's pretty pleasant to use. The built-in dictionary for instantly looking up tough words is nice, and the built-in web browser is surprisingly capable given the limitations of the screen. You definitely do notice the "flash" whenever the screen updates when you first use it, but after a while you won't even notice it anymore, just as you subconsciously turn pages while reading a paper book. I haven't charged it since the first day I got it, and the battery indicator still shows as full. And man, the device itself is thinner than a pencil… definitely portable, though still a bit too big to be pocketable.

I can't imagine reading all books this way, but on the whole, I really like it. I'm planning on showing it to my novel-loving mom and seeing if she might want one for Christmas, though I doubt it.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 am

Yeah, I have been using my friends one at work, and I agree with you about the pulse you get when you turn a page. Interesting technology for sure. I felt pretty nice in the eye area when I was reading it, and the battery life is very very impressive (something like a month right?)

It is super light too.

I am loving also, that Amazon is giving away all the Classics for free at the moment. I have worked my way through Dracula, The Picture Of Dorian Grey and Crime and Punishment in a few weeks for nowt.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:19 am

Cadence wrote:I am loving also, that Amazon is giving away all the Classics for free at the moment. I have worked my way through Dracula, The Picture Of Dorian Grey and Crime and Punishment in a few weeks for nowt.
Old books in the public domain are always free. It's not a "at the moment" thing.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Who is to say that in the future this will remain the case...

I get your point though, you pedantic monkey :lol:

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Funny, I missed this thread. I just bought a Kindle last month. Really enjoying it. Convenient to read on the train, cuts down on junk in my house-perfect!

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Cadence wrote:Who is to say that in the future this will remain the case...

I get your point though, you pedantic monkey :lol:
I don't think it's possible to take things out of the public domain. Not trying to be pedantic; just to avoid confusion.