Tech Gripes

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Re: Tech Gripes

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 am

Cadence wrote:
sirwanksalot wrote:I feel Mac is better for the Adobe Creative suite
Hardly going to set the world of 3D rendering alight with anything Apple can provide you with, especially at the prices they are asking...
Did you read the bit at the end about the hackentosh? For a shoestring budget film maker my good friend is doing quite well with his... Oh, I guess you didn't read that bit. The main reason I use mac more for my adobe programs is for colorsync which for me as a hobbyist photographer is invaluable. This message however is being typed on a pc which does my video editing on the rare chance that I do.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

Cadence wrote:
sirwanksalot wrote: Also, don't the Mac GPU's top out around mid-highish level? Hardly going to set the world of 3D rendering
Oh yeah! PC all the way for that and gaming. Both have their place and I am one to claim that. I spent the money and have both. I hope I have proven myself to be worthy of your approval.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 am

JD9 wrote:
I think Wank's is quite adept with his Mac e.g.

Designed on Mac and rendered on Botfly's Commodore 64

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am

Haha, cool.

This is all you really need;

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 am

sirwanksalot wrote:
Designed on Mac and rendered on Botfly's Commodore 64
Jesus!

With a colour button now!?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 pm

So my Dell (Studio XPS 16) laptop I bought about 4 years ago is starting to creak. Without warning it will just shut down. And I don't mean go through shut down. Just shut off instantaneously. It started suddenly Saturday morning. Was kinda weird cause I had left the PC on all night, which I don't usually do (I was working on something but decided to turn in around midnight cause my brain was fried and get an early/fresh start at around 6am and I didn't want to mess around with PC start up and setting up my workbench) and about 5 minutes after I got in front of it, it just died. I initially thought that it was cause it was overheating as that's the sort of thing that happens when PCs overheat and mine, especially as it has gotten older, has had issues with overheating. I didn't have time to do any testing/diagnostics so I just quickly tried to replicate it and it seemed like Firefox was the problem. Left FF closed, did my work with no further issues and left at that as I was busy all weekend. Anyway fast forward to this morning and I'm having issues even with FF closed. I had recently cleaned the PC but checked to make sure there was no dust in it and the fan was working correctly. All good. Did some searching on the net for possible causes, and the big ones seem to be CPU, GPU, RAM, and interestingly PSU (power supply). Not sure that I can do anything about the power supply but I checked the RAM and no errors. I get the feeling that there is an issue with the GPU as it seems to happen when I'm running GPU-intensive programs -- games, FF, videos. The temp of the CPUs, while a little high on average around 45C, sometimes as high as 60C, that is still well within normal operating parameters (max acceptable temp is apparently 105C). It could well be the CPU and not GPU but as I say it seems to happen with GPU-intensive programs.

As it's 4 years old, I guess it's approaching its EOL but I was really hoping to get another year out of it cause I like it, never had any real issues with it, except overheating over the past year, which I've mostly been able to manage alright, and as I'm just starting out as a freelancer, I don't really want to get another one until I have some solid/steady work coming in. The fact that it is now my work PC as well as play PC (I had a work PC, Lenovo, before I got canned) may well have contributed to its seemingly rapid decline. I'm currently using a Dell tool to run some diagnostic tests to see if I can figure out what exactly is wrong, but if I can't fix it (and I don't really want to buy a new CPU or GPU for a 4 yr old laptop, and that's assuming I can even get something that is compatible with a motherboard this old) I'll have no choice but to fork out for a new one. :anger: :bang:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Yeah my Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop also gets hot as hell, especially on the palm rests. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to put the aircon on, so I have to set up a big box fan to cool the fucker (and my hands) down.
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Macg!

I bought the trouble and strife a second hander from Sofmap about three years ago. You will be surprised what you can get there. Especially in the way of Taiwanese made ACER for so little. Check it out mate.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 pm

JD9 wrote:Yeah my Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop also gets hot as hell, especially on the palm rests. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to put the aircon on, so I have to set up a big box fan to cool the fucker (and my hands) down.
Heh. I presume yours is the same as mine then (cause I think they only made one or two models with the Studio XPS name before dropping "Studio" entirely)? 32-bit about 4 years old? Bought mine in August 2009. Yeah even after cleaning the heat sink (and it was filthy make no mistake) it didn't do a whole lot to the overall temp. Haven't had any issues with choppy play back (streaming vids of cricket or footy) since but it still feels hot. I've got mine on one of them PC coolers and on really hot days I point a fan at it as well (no air con in my "office").

Thanks for the tip ABs. Most probably gonna go to PC Depot and get them to look at it if I can't fix it. Will check out their second hand jobs. Not sure there is a Sofmap my way although there is a hard off. Actually now that I think of it my wife's HP we bought brand spanking new at Sofmap in Shinjuku a few years back. A good price and perfect for what she uses it for. She also has overheating issues with hers too. I believe heating issues also have something to do with the way they these mobs put them together. I was once told (can't verify it though) that Macs don't have these issues cause Apple takes heat into consideration when making its machines. Could be fanboi BS though.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 pm

So good news. Sorta. After about 10 attempts finally got the Dell diagnostic tool to work and it's defo the GPU. It didn't tell me that but the CPU was fine, as was memory (but I had already tested the memory so knew that) but when it got to the GPU part of the test, the PC crapped out so obviously that is the problem. Good news in the sense at least I know what the issue is now. I guess I'll see about a replacement and go from there.

BTW JD, I've got my PC on my lap and it's not that hot. Seems that the clean I did a while back has actually made a bigger difference than I thought. Try cleaning it and see how you go. And don't forget to remove the heat sink as well. When I cleaned mine the first time I didn't realise I could take out the heat sink. The fan and surrounds looked clean enough but I cleaned it anyway and it didn't make any difference, which I thought was strange,. When I opened it a second time I figured out I could remove the heat sink and it was FILTHY! Cleaning that seems to have made a big difference.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm

I clean the fans etc. fairly regularly and I also always have my laptop raised about an inch at the back for air to circulate under and around it. If I was to crack the case to do any more than that, I'd fuck something up for sure (as I'm a lost cause when it comes to stuff like that). It'll be freezing again soon enough and I'll switch over to worrying about condensation again and putting a blanket over it at night again. :eyes:
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Mac,

Is it worth:

1. Reinstalling the relevant driver

or even

2. Doing a complete, clean, re-install (after backing up data of course)

Just to confirm it is indeed a hardware problem.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Mac,

Is it worth:

1. Reinstalling the relevant driver
First thing I did but didn't seem to make any difference and the card management software (AMD card/chip) has never worked...urgh. And yes reinstalled that as well. Don't know that that would make any difference but perhaps throttling it back or changing some settings may have helped...
Wage Slave wrote:2. Doing a complete, clean, re-install (after backing up data of course)

Just to confirm it is indeed a hardware problem.
Fair advice but I'm gonna have to have a serious think about it. The simple answer is no. While I've got all my important data backed up already (I use SpiderOak) just thinking about reinstalling all the software I have on it now makes me shudder. But as I'm only 90% certain it's the GPU, you just never know and it might help....Hmmmmm, what to do....

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 am

So I found the same model card as mine on ebay and not surprisingly just one; in fact I think it's a miracle, seeing as it is 4 years old that I found even one! 10K yen they want for it. Shipped from Lithuania. :shock: But I have no choice but to trust them if I'm going to get it. Not confident I can replace the card myself cause it'd be a tough job but I just cracked open the back and did some youtube video watching and I think I could do it. There is a chance that I could fark something up though....

BTW, JD, with yours, am I correct in saying that you haven't opened it to clean it? You've just blown air from the outside through the air vents?

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Nah I crack the case and clean the fans and both sides of the screens periodically. That's about the limit of my tinkering ability.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm

MacGyver wrote:So I found the same model card as mine on ebay and not surprisingly just one; in fact I think it's a miracle, seeing as it is 4 years old that I found even one! 10K yen they want for it. Shipped from Lithuania. :shock: But I have no choice but to trust them if I'm going to get it. Not confident I can replace the card myself cause it'd be a tough job but I just cracked open the back and did some youtube video watching and I think I could do it. There is a chance that I could fark something up though....

BTW, JD, with yours, am I correct in saying that you haven't opened it to clean it? You've just blown air from the outside through the air vents?
In that case, before you buy it I would open the thing, take the card out, clean the contacts and refit it. Clean and reseat any other contacts you can see while you are there. Have a good look around for any signs of mechanical distress, bulging caps etc.

Electronics, with the exception of electrolytic capacitors of a certain age, are incredibly reliable. It's more likely to be a connector problem than the board itself.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:58 pm

So I whipped off the keyboard as well to get a better look and the motherboard and graphics card are all on the same board. I got the impression from the card I saw online they were separate but on closer inspection they're not.

I took it to PC Depot so they could have a look (I periodically clean it and usually remove the heat sink so the connections were fine) and they basically said it's either the mother board or the graphics card but couldn't determine which. Got to the point where I couldn't run it without it turning off suddenly shortly after turning it on. So went today and bought a new PC. Wanted another Dell XPS 15.6 but couldn't wait the 11 days delivery time. Got a high spec MSi for about 100K yen. Specs close to the Dell I wanted and 50K or so cheaper. Never had an MSi before. In fact knew almost nothing about them. Will it be any good? The reviews online seemed positive so we'll see. Got a 3 year extended warranty for 5k yen extra to hedge my bets. Win8 was pre-installed (with the Start button!) so setting it up was just a matter of grabbing my data from backups and reinstalling software. Relatively painless and only took me a few hours.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Sorry JD I hate to be a pain in the arse but make sure the heat sink is clean. When I did my first clean ages ago, when it was running really hot, I cleaned the areas you mentioned but it didn't seem to help. A few months later decided to have another look and whipped off the heat sink cover (which I didn't know was removable at the time) and to my surprise, filth! No wonder is was running hot cause it was clogged with dust so no air could get through it. Still had a tendency to run a little hot but I never had an issue with heat to the point that streaming video would stutter after that.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:37 am

Mine has never gotten that hot because I'm fairly switched on in regards to always keeping it cool. Thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely check it out.