Tech Gripes

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: Tech Gripes

Unread post by Cadence » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am

Alright mate. Sorry for the delay in replying. Was busy with real life stuff.

OK, well going by your answers, you are not going to want to get anything spectacular. Just go down to Sofmap / BicCamera with your 6万円 and get something Japanese. It will be fine.

Cheers.

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:31 am

or go to hard off and pick up the separates that you need. should all be impedance matched so you can get a nice wee sound system for your 60 large. having said that, knowing your taste in music ABs, i would recommend a set of headphones!

EDIT just to remove a comma.
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I have to gripe about Apple's Mag safe connector for my MacBook. Great idea since my daughter has tripped over the cord numerous times, sparing my computer a certain death. However, they could have built the connector with a little more strain relief. The connector finally gave out on me as it was all frayed at the end. Looking it up on WIkipedia, I see that its poor construction is a common problem.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Redone Powerpoint comedy!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

allblacks wrote:Redone Powerpoint comedy!
Haha, seen that before. Very good.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:54 pm

CIS and their FUCKING STUPID SECURITY USB KEY for browsing cars at auction! You all deserve to be shot in the head! WHY. DOES. THIS. FUCKING. THING. NOT. WORK?

Why is there some scantily dressed chick on your webpage thats hell bent on telling us some BS info we dont need? Loading that graphic just slows everything down you fucksticks!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Shawn wrote:I have to gripe about Apple's Mag safe connector for my MacBook. Great idea since my daughter has tripped over the cord numerous times, sparing my computer a certain death. However, they could have built the connector with a little more strain relief. The connector finally gave out on me as it was all frayed at the end. Looking it up on WIkipedia, I see that its poor construction is a common problem.
The second MacBook Pro I had used the older style MagSafe connector, and yeah, it crapped out on me too. (The first one I had had a non-magnetic connector, and I had trouble with that one as well…)

However, on newer models, they've improved the design a lot. The connector actually lies flush with the side of the computer and the pins come out perpendicularly to attach to the connector on the computer. Kind of hard to describe - it's sort of L-shaped. It's a huge improvement - someone at Apple realized that very rarely do we actually have power cables coming out of our laptops perpendicularly for very long. I've yet to have any power cord-related problems with my MacBook.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:58 am

Fucking Docomo! You lot are a bunch of muppets. The first phone that looks like an iphone sells out in a matter of days. Everyone knows that this phone could revolutionize the market yet DOCOMO decides to under supply Japan? Dick heads.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:34 pm

A couple months ago, I bought a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Without a doubt, it's the finest keyboard I ever owned; I love it. I can type on it all day without braces and not have to worry about my wrists feeling like hell at the end of the day.

However, around the time I got it, I started noticing my system started having kernel panics (unrecoverable "you must restart your computer" system errors) a lot more often than usual. After having maybe one in the entire period of owning my system before that, I started having one or two a day; I think the record was five in one day (though also on many days I won't have any at all). I eventually noticed a disturbing pattern; this would only happen while I was typing on the 4000. Never while using the built-in laptop keyboard, and never while mousing, and never while just sitting there; always as I was typing. Damn! It puts me in a tight spot because losing what I'm working on at random times during the day is a pain, but I love this keyboard so much that going back to any other board would be unpleasant as well.

I contacted MS's tech support via email. The Indian who got back to me gave me instructions for reinstalling the driver software for the Classic Mac OS - so not applicable to any Mac Apple has sold in the last nine years or so. Every once in a while I have to remind myself why I generally don't bother with company tech support…

There's an alternate shareware driver out there, though I haven't tried it yet… strikes me as just a little ridiculous to have to buy a keyboard from one company and then buy drivers to make it usable from another. (The keyboard is somewhat workable without the drivers, but the media and quick-launch keys don't work and the Command and Option keys are transposed from their usual places on the board.)

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Today's gripe: Having a folder on a server to "share" files. It's simple, but the server becomes a digital dumping ground where it is impossible to find things. Use Windows search function? Ha ha ha! No. There's a lot of useful information on the server but unless you know where to look, you waste your time asking different people if they know where stuff is. I've been thinking of trying to bring some order to this mess and thought that a wiki might work. People could upload documents and photos and leave short descriptions of them. I could also make pages for projects I'm working on, too. Any ideas?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 am

Who's the knob who designed my corporate intranet? The text does not fucking wrap! Type something long enough and it goes straight off the page in one giant line. :FU:
Me: We need to fix this
Tech moron: Just use the <br> tag
Me: :bang: :drunk: :rope: :cuss:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Microsoft you bunch of fucking egotistical mutants! How about a BROWSER that doesnt take forever to fucking load? XP is not bad. I actually like it. But why do we have to put up with INTERSHIT EXPLODER V.8 or something?

Fuck you bunch of afterbirths!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm going to lose my cool one day and say something I'll regret, but the way people use e-mail in the office drives me nuts. :anger:
If you happen to be sitting next to me, or across from me, or even just a few desks over, don't fucking e-mail me to ask if I have ay plans for next week! Turn your fucking head and open your fucking mouth and fucking speak to me!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :axe:

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Shawn wrote:I'm going to lose my cool one day and say something I'll regret, but the way people use e-mail in the office drives me nuts. :anger:
If you happen to be sitting next to me, or across from me, or even just a few desks over, don't fucking e-mail me to ask if I have ay plans for next week! Turn your fucking head and open your fucking mouth and fucking speak to me!

In a similar gripe (although not tech related), I hate people who are allergic to e-mail. I have some people who will call me for the smallest thing and never send e-mails (unless it's a response to my e-mail).

redbar
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by redbar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Shawn wrote:I'm going to lose my cool one day and say something I'll regret, but the way people use e-mail in the office drives me nuts. :anger:

Don't you have IM? We usually send someone eachother instant messages so there's no pressure to drop what you are doing and answer right away.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:48 pm

redbar wrote:Don't you have IM?
While Lotus Notes (what I use in the office) has IM, they disabled it because people might actually use it. :bang:

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Shawn wrote:
redbar wrote:Don't you have IM?
While Lotus Notes (what I use in the office) has IM, they disabled it because people might actually use it. :bang:
Oh man, IM in the office brings back memories. I remember when I worked in an office and they installed IM (I think it was called IP Message) on everyone's computers. Productivity plummeted instantly because we just mucked around on that all day. You guys think I come up with lots of band names here on Let's Japan? I still have a list of the hundreds and hundreds I made up back then together with a mate of mine via IM during office hours; we'd just riff on it all day long. That list contains just the good ones of course, and for every one of them there were several crappy ones - thousands and thousands of band names.

Then, of course, you'd get those situations where Miss X would write nasty messages to Miss Y about Miss Z, but she'd accidentally click the "broadcast to everyone" button and the whole office, including the hapless Miss X, would get to read about what a bitch Miss Y thought she was.

They uninstalled the IM software in the end. Ahhh, those were the days [sighs wistfully].
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:03 pm

the NZ Herald website... is SHIT. That annoying drop down menu when you hover over a certain place SUCKS.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:01 pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282089

Information here.

Seems that you can't upgrade directly to a different language version (which is insane bullshit from Microsoft once again).

Read my PM and we will work it out from there.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:28 pm

If you're desperate, give me a buzz. I'll pick up a copy from Costco and mail it to you.

But yeah, the fact that it's nearly 2011 and Microsoft still sells their operating system one language at a time is total BS. I'm sure they have some reason for it (lame anti-piracy measures, perhaps?), but on the whole it's got to be more of a hinderance to its customers than a help to themselves.

I'll try not to rub it in too much that Apple doesn't do this crap and if you had bought a Mac, you'd be using it in English (or Korean, or Arabic, or Brazilian Portuguese) right now.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:02 am

If you buy the ultimate version on windows vista/7 you are able to change between the languages of the operating system (not just input but the whole OS). I think MS uses that as another reason for people to fork out money for the ultimate version.

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:21 pm

1. Don't take it back. I will come and sort it all out for you.

2. If you need someone to read what the pop-ups are saying, hit PrtSC button (just above the Insert button.) Then open Paint, and hit Ctrl and c at the same time. This will make a copy of the screen. Email it to me and I will look at it for you. Simple.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Langslave wrote:Thought I could handle it, but I think I was wrong. FAR too many boxes popping up that I CANT read! Presumably(from what I CAN read) theyre mostly asking me to register stuff but Im not sure.
That sounds like Windows' UAC asking you if you really want to run the program or telling you that a program wants to edit your registry or phone home. It's a real nuisance. My father-in-law uses Windows 7 and those popups never fail to freak him out. :willnilly:

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:24 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote: But yeah, the fact that it's nearly 2011 and Microsoft still sells their operating system one language at a time is total BS. I'm sure they have some reason for it (lame anti-piracy measures, perhaps?), but on the whole it's got to be more of a hinderance to its customers than a help to themselves.

I'll try not to rub it in too much that Apple doesn't do this crap and if you had bought a Mac, you'd be using it in English (or Korean, or Arabic, or Brazilian Portuguese) right now.
If you buy Windows 7 Ultimate (Enterprise) you can change the language.

I think it's crap that you can't change the language for any version as well, although it's not something that would make me want to buy a Mac.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm

So I bought my new TV in November. It has a ton of inputs, including s-video and VGA, both of which my computer can handle. It also has a computer audio input. Of course, the dumbasses at Sharp decided to fix the A/V input combinations. So I can't use the s-video and computer audio inputs; I have to use the VGA and computer audio input. The really dumb thing is that the manual doesn't even mention this. :anger:

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 pm

So I manage to get my laptop hooked up to my TV and the damn LCD breaks. Every fucking laptop I've had has had some problem at 2 years (originally I bought extended warranties to get around it but for the past few I just get a cheap laptop). I'm not sure whether or not it's the inverter or backlight (no color tinting) but replacing the inverter is so much easier than the backlight (the price is about the same) so I'm doing with that first (already paid $10 for a new inverter on ebay). My 50,000 yen laptop is 2 years old and I don't feel like fucking around with a soldering iron if it is the backlight so I'll probably just use my desktop LCD monitor (I wanted to get an extra 6 months or year out of this laptop but whatever) and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I might repair it just so there's some resale value for when I dump the damn thing.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 am

For the love of God! Lotus Notes 7 only allows ONE fucking undo?! :FU: Are you kidding me? Piece of shit software... :bang:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Whinge and moan if you like. Ive had the same computer at work for the last 3 years. Fucking piece of shit just decided to stop working with a certain USB/program thing. Now Im screwed. Hows about spending some money on computers? It will have a knock on effect to productivity. Hell. My bosses PC is HEAPS worse than mine. Makes all sortsa weird noises at times. Loading a browser takes ages.

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Is it too much to ask for a printer button on WORD 2010?!
"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 pm

While cleaning all the dust out of the 6 year old desktop I see that one of the electrolytic capacitors near the processor is bulging and so on its way out. In due course this will bring down the entire motherboard and hence the computer. Very annoying as it is still plenty fast and powerful enough for everything I need it for.

Not to worry thinks I. I'll just whip it out and stuff a new one in there. No so simple. Reading up a bit I now understand that motherboards are built in 4 to 6 layers. Getting the cap out is tricky because there is solder all the way thought the hole rather than just on the bottom. And if you damage the foil "via" that connects the layers together you have just killed your motherboard. Assuming you have got it out and cleared the hole of old solder without killing the board the new capacitor has to be soldered so that solder flows all the way along the hole to make sure that it is connected to all the layers. All risky, especially the first time you have done it.

Luckily there is a workaround. Cut the cap straight across the middle with wire cutters and then cut down lengthwise to the board. Hack and cut until you get the whole thing off leaving two stubs of wire poking out of the board still dutifully connected to all 6 layers. Trim and coil the pigtails of the new cap and solder them to the stubs leaving the new cap mounted 5mm or so above the board. A bit messy to implement and doesn't look perfect but it will work perfectly well.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.