Gamerz...

A forum for computer geek questions and tech-related discussions.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Gamerz...

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Anyone out there, in Japan (or a reasonably close time zone) interesting in playing some LAN/WAN/Net games? And what games would be of interest?
I do a range of them, but am currently back into the RTS scene.
I currently have:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (and all expansions)
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos (and the expansion)
Sins of a Solar Empire
Space Siege
(And I could also go through my shit and find:
F.E.A.R.
Half-Life 2
Unreal Tournament (2, 3 and 2007)
TRON 2.0)
Any takers?
Would be a good, money-saving way to spend an evening or so.

Also, if anyone in Osaka is interested, I have the new Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy PnP RPG (though it's been ages since I've played one).
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Gamerz...

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:25 am

I have recently been playing World of Warcraft much more than I'd like to. I also play TF2 on occasion. But since I installed linux, alot of games are ruled out for me.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Never got into the MMORPG scene. I could never understand why I should pay $50-60 for a game and then have to pay an additional $5-12 every month! Though I might have to break down and get WAR when it comes out...

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:21 pm

When it comes to computer games, the multiplayer one I play the most is probably Urban Terror, a free, multi-platform tactical FPS based on the Quake III engine. I played it a whole lot during college (back when it was a mod for Quake III instead of a stand-alone game as it is now), but didn't play it much after I graduated. I've gotten back into it the last couple of months, though. It's not the highest-tech game around, but it's still hella fun.

My college roomies and I would sometimes play StarCraft on the LAN. I routinely got my ass handed to me. I'm no good at the RTS stuff… but give me a turn-based game like Battle for Wesnoth (also free and multi-platform) and I might be half decent at it.

Muteki
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Muteki » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm always up for DOW. and will be playing Quake Live when it hits.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Any CoD4 (PC) players here?

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:18 am

I can look for a download. Played the original CoD and enjoyed it.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:24 pm

CoD 4 is excellent. It'd be nice to know a few gamers online and be able to team up and talk without having to deal with the nutjobs and kiddies on some servers. I guess that's why there are clans.

I've also downloaded Urban Terror and will give that a try. :thumbsup:

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:19 pm

considering the age of my old G3.
if anyones up for a game of pong...

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:32 pm

I bet your G3 will be able to handle Urban Terror. My 500MHz iMac played it perfectly fine, if I scaled back the graphical settings (it had a whopping 8MB graphics card). I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any low-ping servers from Japan, though.

Aspyr says that my MacBook Pro will be able to handle CoD 4. But they also said it could handle Prey, and that game was barely playable; I didn't even bother trying to go online with it. I enjoyed CoD 2 (though the online component was unbalanced and generally not as fun as UrT), but I think CoD 4 will have to wait until my next machine. Or maybe I'll pick it up for Xbox 360 some day instead.

chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by chimpsky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:46 pm

anyone do online portable gaming? now that my psp is modded I can play just about any game out there.

my 3rd post today, "don't call it comeback" :roll:

Muteki
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Muteki » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I have a modded PSP and a wireless rig in my home. DS too. Don't play too much online though. What is there these days? The J's love them some Monster Hunter Portable 2G though.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:26 pm

I used to play some mario kart on ds online. But not that often. Don't think there's any other handheld games I tried online.

chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by chimpsky » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:23 pm

I guess if you're into shooters, a lot of US developed games such as Syphon Filter( Dark Mirror, Logan's Shadow, Combat Ops - which is all online), Socom: US Navy Seals 1, 2, and tactical strike, Medal of Honor hereos, Metal Gear Portable Ops/Plus (Japan developed actually) are all online and had quite a large online community last time i checked but that was over a year ago...

now it seems like a lot of the sports games are getting the online treatment, with FIFA 09 and one of those recent baseball games that came out MLB: The Show '08, basically if you see any American developed game with a sports, military/3rd person/1st person shooting theme you can bet it gets some online support... heck I think even Marvel Super Heroes: Ultimate Alliance has some online support... although I admit I haven't tried any of the recent ones online so who knows how it plays

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

wii mario kart online is excellent.
nothin better than gettin yer arse
kicked by a bunch of pimply 15 year
olds from buttfuck, michigan.

oh, and quick tip.
use the gamecube controller.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:17 pm

The amount of blue and red shells is just too rage inducing I find. And after a while, you can come second and still lose a butload of points .... or get on drunk and come last to lose even more.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 pm

hello.

this looks like the best thread
for talkin bout games.

both PC (if you a gay) and
console (if you are thick.)

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 am

im dithering between buying
killzone 2 or plumping for
a second hand copy of bioshock
and resistance 2.

recommend me?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Haven't played either but I hear Fallout 3 is the shit. I also here Resistance: Fall of Man is awesome too (I guess that's Resistance 2?).

PS3 games I've played: GTA IV (meh, more of Vice City), COD 4 (not bad but short), MOH: Airbourne (OK but have played better), Winning Eleven 9 (not bad but its a soccer game! They're all the same). I've got a mob game (I think its called Godfather) that I haven't played yet. Also a few other games that I've been lent but haven't played yet. I hear Assassins Creed is good (actually the PC game is sitting on my desk but I haven't played it).
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 pm

if anyone except Avon
and CAVEMAN fancy a wee
internet shootn on "resistance" 1
my name is funkymc8

crap name i know, but stems from
a childhood nickname.

hucards
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by hucards » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm

indoctrin8 wrote:im dithering between buying
killzone 2 or plumping for
a second hand copy of bioshock
and resistance 2.

recommend me?
Bioshock is amazing. Go for that and resistance 2. then wait for a second hand copy of killzone 2.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Fallout 3 is great. I'm switching between playing that and Dawn of War II at the moment. DoW2 is also a good one.

Tokyo_Joe
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Tokyo_Joe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Agreed on Bioshock. Easily one of the most polished, original action games of this current gaming generation. You're missing out if you haven't played it yet. The only thing in the same league (in my not-so-humble opinion) is Half Life 2 and it's subsequent "episodes".

And while I'm aware it got a pretty harsh reception by the gaming community and critics, I'm a big fan of Mirror's Edge. It's true the single player campaign can be frustrating; but if you just trudge through it once, you can open every stage up in the free-running time trial mode, something I find surprisingly enjoyable.
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President?

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:50 pm

I think Mirror's Edge was a great game that some suits got ahold of and said, "No, we've got to have more guns and gunplay! She can't just be running everywhere! (And by the way, why is she so realistically proportioned? What are you trying to do, make us go broke?)" And so you get those frustrating levels where you're crammed in a room with a bunch of soldiers you have to take out before you can progress on to the fun running parts. Even so, you should try to finish the game without using any guns (MINOR SPOILER: Except for the part when you have to shoot the van with the sniper rifle; you don't really have a choice at that point); it really does add a nice level of challenge to the game, and you'll get an achievement/trophy for doing so if you're in to that thing.

By far the best game value of the current generation in terms of how many hours I've put into it since I bought it has been Burnout Paradise. What a hella fun game, and the fact that the developers have been supporting it with free content since its release is bonus. They've been coming out with paid content recently too, and I've been buying all of it since I'm such a sucker for this game - and I know I'll likely be playing it for at least another year anyway. Look into it if you like balls-to-the-wall arcade racers.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

2nd hand bioshock and resistance2
will be mine on friday. will never
get a chance to play them, tho, as
the missus gets home from work and
just plugs herself into littlebigplanet.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 pm

indoctrin8 wrote:2nd hand bioshock and resistance2
will be mine on friday. will never
get a chance to play them, tho, as
the missus gets home from work and
just plugs herself into littlebigplanet.
If you've got a second TV, do yourself a favour and get a second PS3! :thumbsup:

Alternatively, get a second hand PS2 and play that. Better than f'all. That's what my missus does when I'm hogging the PS3... :oops:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 pm

sorry. bored. exam time.

ive been thinkin. theres a wee
stramash goin on about resi 5
cos it involves shootin black guys.

i would go further. i would say
the entire series is SEXIST.

can u remember any time when
u had to blow some bitch away?

ive played them all. (my personal fave
is code veronica on the dreamcast)

but, the chance to kill women
has been scant in the resi series.

arent women allowed to be murderous psychos?

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Wasn't one of the plot points of Code: Veronica that the fey male villain was actually a woman or something like that? It's been a long time since I played that too.

Also, I haven't played Bioshock, but I think I recall there being a bit of a ruckus because you have to kill little girls or something.

In the game Prey, your girlfriend gets kidnapped by the alien horde. In the final boss fight of the game, she's been turned into this half-alien mutant and you have to kill her to beat the game.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Nobody playing COD4 or COD: WaW online? :cry: Stupid console gamers...

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Shawn wrote:Nobody playing COD4 or COD: WaW online? :cry: Stupid console gamers...
Whattya mean?!?!?! Of course console gamers can play online...In fact I can play COD4 online but haven't yet. Maybe I should give it a try tonight! Great idea Shawn! :thumbsup: