Where do you live?

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Where do you live?

Greater Tokyo
31%
Kansai
29%
Nagoya & Tokai
10%
Kyushu - Okinawa
4%
Hiroshima / Chugoku
5%
Tohoku - Hokkaido
6%
Shikoku
2%
Hokuriku
1%
Bum-f*ck nowhere
12%

Total votes: 165

Speeed
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Speeed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:24 am

Osaka - A Real Kinki Place

before that:

Matsuyama
Kichijoji, Tokyo
Iwakuni (2 Xs)
Gotemba (at the foot of The Fuj)
Yokohama
If it feels good, it is good!

owashi

Unread post by owashi » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:04 pm

Hokkaido.

Before that some smalltown nowheresville in Fukushima-ken.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:56 pm

Skweeks, you gonna join us the next time we go for beers??? You can shit on the table if it makes you feel at home.

nigerian_nampa
LJ Sharpshooter
LJ Sharpshooter

Unread post by nigerian_nampa » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Osaka--and I don't think I could live anywhere else, aside from Kobe or Kyoto. I've been to Tokyo a few times, and love it every time, but in Kansai the people are friendlier, the girls are easier to pick up, you can ride your bike anywhere in the city rather than having to change trains 3 times like in Tokyo, housing is much cheaper, and there's lots of green space just a 10 minute train ride away.

Conversely, I've been to Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and a couple other medium sized cities and they were just too dead...still inaka despite the big buildings. Osaka's the happy medium.

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:22 am

Sorry folks, trying to make up for being an ass. :D
Last edited by Shogun on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:58 am

Ieyasu Tokugawa wrote:Knowing of course that nearly 25% of the Japanese population lives in and around metropolitan areas, I find it a bit strange that many people posting on message boards (not only here) seem to think that they are living in the "real" Japan.

The same can be said for people who travel to or live in let's say London, Paris or New York, then saying that they "know" all about those countrys'

I suggest that while you are living here, get out of the city and go into the countryside to see and feel what life is in Japan. Most of the people living in the cities do so for work purposes, they are originally from the country side. (inaka) then I think you will see a much different face of Japan.

Japan is a diverse multi faceted country. There are many sub cultures to see and learn about.

N00b alert
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:47 am

N00b alert

Chill dude, I am not going to start jumping on everyone here because of where they are living OK?

I've been here a while, OK? You won't smell any jet fumes on me OK? I just want people to get out and see more of Japan. To enjoy their stay here, and see as much of the people as they can OK?

No need to start off on the wrong foot OK?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:05 am

Ieyasu Tokugawa wrote:No need to start off on the wrong foot OK?

As the Japanese would say "こっちのセリフだろう!"

Most of the posters on this board have lived in Japan for sometime. We welcome new faces to the board, but no need on your first day to tell your sempai's what's what with Japan. I, for example, have travelled through many parts of Japan, although I live in Kanto. Just cause I live in Kanto doesn't mean I haven't seen rural Japan. And "the real Japan" as you put it is very subjective. Some may argure that you can only go to a part of Hokkaido to see it (I am of course referring to the Ainu).

Anyway the point is before you lecture us on "what's what" perhaps you should find out a little bit more about us???
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Unread post by Smurfette » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:09 am

Ieyasu Tokugawa wrote:Knowing of course that nearly 25% of the Japanese population lives in and around metropolitan areas, I find it a bit strange that many people posting on message boards (not only here) seem to think that they are living in the "real" Japan.

The same can be said for people who travel to or live in let's say London, Paris or New York, then saying that they "know" all about those countrys'

I suggest that while you are living here, get out of the city and go into the countryside to see and feel what life is in Japan. Most of the people living in the cities do so for work purposes, they are originally from the country side. (inaka) then I think you will see a much different face of Japan.

Japan is a diverse multi faceted country. There are many sub cultures to see and learn about.

While I don't necessarily second Mac's "noob alert," I did think this post was a bit odd for a couple of reasons. First, this is merely a thread where people are posting about where they live. No one really claimed to be living in the "real Japan," yet you kind of came across as lecturing. Unless you know everyone here personally, you really have no idea where they have and haven't been in Japan, and what they have experienced.

Second, I'm a bit sceptical of your numbers. I would hazard a guess to say it's not 25 percent of the population that lives in metropolitan areas, but 25 percent of the population that lives in the Tokyo metropolitan area. I would further guess that the population living in cities is much higher than 25 percent.

Anyway, no matter what the numbers, who's to say what the "real Japan" is? My ex-boyfriend was born and raised in Nagoya, cityboy through and through. He would have been surprised to find that though he had been brought up as a Japanese, born to Japanese parents and held a Japanese passport, he has spent his entire life not living in the "real Japan." His parents didn't come from the countryside to merely work; they were born and raised there, too. Are they fake Japanese? :huh: No, they're not. They're just cityfolk, and their lives and lifestyles are just as valid as those in the country, perhaps not as traditional.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but kind of let you know why people might react negatively to your post. It's not really warranted, and very likely not really accurate.

Welcome to the board :wink:

edit: Sorry to reiterate some of Mac's points...I was writing when he last posted! :doh:

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:32 am

Replying, dressed in a white kimono, as he draws his ancient and much used katana..........

Fair enough, but if the poll is accurate I see that the majority of respondents are from........ well you all can read. I take your point.

Please accept my apologizes, as there was/were no insults intended :oops: .

......and prepares himself for the ritual disembowelment, knowing that there will be no reprieve from his misdeed.

barten
Weaver of Tales
Weaver of Tales

Unread post by barten » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Read the poll again. It is not going to give you an accurate view of country versus city dwellers, a rough idea at best. I think the urbanisation figure for Japan is something like 80%. That's a lot of people not to be "real". Do you mean "old"?
Who isn't drunk at 3 o'clock in the morning? So we get stiff once in a while. This is a free country isn't it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I want to buy it a drink, that's my business.

nigerian_nampa
LJ Sharpshooter
LJ Sharpshooter

Unread post by nigerian_nampa » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:50 am

I live in a big carbon copy city, but I interact with Japanese people on a personal level every day. I know some JETs who live out in the middle of the real Japan, but nobody talks to them. They end up just sitting alone in their apartments and reading. So if it's a tossup between a) not experiencing the real Japan, or b) experiencing an artificial Japan, who wins?

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:25 pm

Skweekah wrote:Hey dude,

You stay off the petrol sniffin' OK. This site doesnt advocate that shit so you can take yourself and your 10 yen worth of premium unleaded to idiots in japan or something. That stuff will kill you quicker than a Japanese woman. Crazy cunt...

:blah: Bwahaaa, and I suppose you'll me followin' me right quick!

One other thing you bloody prick..........I am the farthest thing from a cunt than you could ever imagine. So, choose your words a bit more carefully! Got it? :cheers:

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:03 pm

Skweekah wrote:
Ieyasu Tokugawa wrote:
Skweekah wrote:Hey dude,

You stay off the petrol sniffin' OK. This site doesnt advocate that shit so you can take yourself and your 10 yen worth of premium unleaded to idiots in japan or something. That stuff will kill you quicker than a Japanese woman. Crazy cunt...

:blah: Bwahaaa, and I suppose you'll me followin' me right quick!

One other thing you bloody prick..........I am the farthest thing from a cunt than you could ever imagine. So, choose your words a bit more carefully! Got it? :cheers:

Hey Prick! Dont be a cunt.... Hmmm... Kinda weird... Like those chix with dix and cuntz.... As for being the furthest away from a cunt than I could possibly imagine... Dont feel bad, you may get lucky one day... BWAHAHAHA!!!! Now, that is funny! So, you cant get close to a pussy. Dont go posting it all over the Internet! For the time being, dont be a tight wad and spent a few bucks on a hooker... I've done it plently of times ... and look at me! I turned out fine!!!!!

My wife keeps her legs crossed so tight these days, that is the ONLY way I seem to be able to even come close to smelling any twat these days!

Thank the lord for the honey's in the local yoshiwara! Cheer's mate. :clap:

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:25 am

:cheers: Tonight, I will raise one (Ok more than one!) to you mate!

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Come May, I'll be living in Hiroshima, but currently, Sydney, Australia.

Shogun
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Shogun » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:17 pm

Cheer's Conan

Mawashi
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Mawashi » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:48 am

Osaka. Best place in Japan, if not the most beautiful.
Love me because I'm beautiful

Oriental_Chairboy
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Oriental_Chairboy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Wow.. only 37 votes and not a soul from Kyushu?

LJers come from a more diverse amount of places than I thought though.

Smurfette
LJ Queen
LJ Queen

Unread post by Smurfette » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:55 am

Oriental_Chairboy wrote:Wow.. only 37 votes and not a soul from Kyushu?

LJers come from a more diverse amount of places than I thought though.

Ojii should have checked the Kyushu/Okinawa option, but he hasn't. (I know, that still means no one is from Kyushu! :wink: )

ripslyme
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by ripslyme » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:15 am

Tokai - because that's where I used to live. Currently in Florida, soon to return to Japland.
all this negative energy just makes me [b]stronger[/b]

redpower
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by redpower » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:41 am

I did live in Fukuoka. It is a nice city and is chocka-block with nice looking girls. If and when I return to Japan I will probably live in Osaka.

I am currently living in Torquay which is in the south west of England. Torquay is famous for 3 things

1) Agatha Christie was born here

2) Fawlty Towers was set here

3) Around 10 years ago a police car was doing its late night patrol when the coppers saw a oriental woman banging on the door of the tourist information centre (Torquay is the Miyazaki of England). The woman was Japanese and spoke very little English. The police took her to the station and called the Japanese Embassy in London. It turns out that she had flown from Narita to Heathrow and asked someone how she should get to "Torquay". She was directed to a train and arrived in Torquay in the afternoon. She then spent hours trying to find her hotel and could not find it. Her hotel was the Hotel Istanbul in Turkey!!! She had mistaken the English Channel for the Bhosphorus and thought the 3 hour train journey across Western Europe was a "bit fast". It was all sorted out and she flew to Turkey the next day.
1977,1978.1981.1984 AND 2005!

Ozintokyo
Intruder
Intruder

Unread post by Ozintokyo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:40 pm

Skweekah wrote:... and look at me! I turned out fine!!!!!

:rotfl: Now that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!!! :lol: ;) :D

I'm about smack in the middle of Tokyo btw.
Meh

valve-bouncer

Unread post by valve-bouncer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:24 am

duma wrote:
redpower wrote:3) Around 10 years ago a police car was doing its late night patrol when the coppers saw a oriental woman banging on the door of the tourist information centre (Torquay is the Miyazaki of England). The woman was Japanese and spoke very little English. The police took her to the station and called the Japanese Embassy in London. It turns out that she had flown from Narita to Heathrow and asked someone how she should get to "Torquay". She was directed to a train and arrived in Torquay in the afternoon. She then spent hours trying to find her hotel and could not find it. Her hotel was the Hotel Istanbul in Turkey!!! She had mistaken the English Channel for the Bhosphorus and thought the 3 hour train journey across Western Europe was a "bit fast". It was all sorted out and she flew to Turkey the next day.

I thought you were having a laugh, but I did a Google and found this.

http://www.ibb.gov.tr/ibbeng/242/turist.htm

Fuck me dead, some people should really have been aborted. What a dumb cunt.