Thanks for the good times

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Thanks for the good times

Unread post by lordCONAN » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to Shawn, and all the other mods. I signed up back in 2005, just before I came out here, and the posts and forum we're a huge source of information before the likes of reddit and such. It's one of the few sites I check every day, in hopes that there would be renewed activity. I'm sad to see it'll be shutting down but I can understand the decision, the times are a changin'.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Re: Thanks for the good times

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

bummer. lot of fun here back in the day. we'll take yer run-off at my dunghole freebie forus at http://risingsuntimes.proboards.com/ but aint a lot happening there either. facebook killed the foriisphere

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 pm

........yeah.It was fun back in the day.A lot of crazy shit happening then.

I still log in every day.Mostly habit I guess.The place has been dead for a couple of years.

Time to move on............
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 am

Yeah, I still pop in every day just in case someone has posted.

I'd really like some way of getting hold of an archive of all the posts though. A lot of it is like an interactive diary of my lat couple of years in Japan and it would be a great shame to lose it.
Shit wank bollocks

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 am

Also, closed Facebook group so we don't all lose touch?
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 am

Ten years after the End of Nova... the end of LJ. As I said to the man himself this sucks! But if you look at the number of posts recently it just makes sense. Id like to thank everyone for their contributions over the years.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 am

Yes LJ's demise is sad and will be missed but as Shawn and others have said, it's been a long time coming. For myself, I just don't have time to post anything anymore anyway. Unfortunately, a freelancers life ain't all booze and women. Well, maybe for those on high rates and/or can afford not to chase the yen. For me, it's generally a 6 to 7 day a week, 70+ hour a week grind (although after 4 years I'm slowly cutting it back bit by bit). And that goes for FB too. I never post anything on my FB page either and don't use any other social media. So me for me it was LJ and FB. I guess FB only now. The thing I liked about LJ was you could post shit as if you were in a pub talking shit to your mates....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm

A static version of the forums and the site is a possibility. I'll look into that. A closed FB site is also an option for those who aren't worried about revealing their identities. I'll admit that it will be kind of weird not to have this board to check.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Been a good run...

Ups and downs and round and rounds...

Sanks for the mammaries

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm

I haven't been as involved as some of the others on here but I've liked to check in regularly since around 2007. Will miss checking in to see if there are any new snippets and kudos to Shawn for keeping the site going for so long!

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Shawn wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm
A static version of the forums and the site is a possibility. I'll look into that. A closed FB site is also an option for those who aren't worried about revealing their identities. I'll admit that it will be kind of weird not to have this board to check.
A static version would be great. Too many memories to lose.

I'll set up a closed FB group later and put the details on here.
Shit wank bollocks

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 am

I had a feeling this was coming. So sad to see this. Been a member since like 2005 or something??? I'm definitely interested in the closed fb page. Known alot of here longer than I've known many people.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:44 am

OK, turns out I need to add at least one person to make an FB group. Do any of you want to tell me your real name so I can get it set up? PM me if so...
Shit wank bollocks

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:05 am

Just chiming in to express same sentiments here. Made a big impression on me while contemplating my own move over in the early 2000s. Thanks, static would be cool, will pm Ralph in case no one else has...

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 am

OK, setting up this group has been way more of a pain in the cock than I expected, and even though I'm the moderator I still can't invite anyone I'm not already friends with. Do a search for an FB group called "Let's Japan" and you'll find it though. There are two, though you'll recognise the one to join...
Shit wank bollocks

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 am

OK, Lord Conan is in.
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm

The facebook group is a good idea. Personally, I had enough of facebook a few years ago and quit it. There is another option... Line groups. Anyone interested in that?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Cheers! Dunno why I couldn't find it but I'm in now!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

You used that old image of the site for the Group? LOl! :cheers:

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Aw man, that sucks. I remember the last time this happened, around 2003 or so you decided to shut it down and everyone panicked, I think we tried to set up a new community somewhere (maybe Gaijinpot or something) but then you turned the boards back on again and everything went back to normal for 14 years. Now this?

It was pretty awesome while it lasted, there were times, particularly early in my Eikaiwa days, where this place more than my actual life was my main place for socializing with peers. So thanks a lot for giving me that, it truly meant a lot. Its gonna be weird for it not to be here anymore, even though like everyone else I post way less than I used to.

Christ, does this mean that Dave's ESL Cafe is the last remaining forum for Eikaiwa teachers? That sucks.

I guess with the Emperor about to abdicate this means that 30 years from now we'll all be looking back on LJ as a piece of Heisei era nostalgia. Gotta archive the boards for posterity.

Just added myself to the Facebook group, says my membership is pending.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Brilliant, senseiman! That's it: I just couldn't stand to soldier on with the Emperor abdicating. :D

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks from me too. This place was invaluable when Nova came crashing down 10 years ago.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am

Shawn wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm
Brilliant, senseiman! That's it: I just couldn't stand to soldier on with the Emperor abdicating. :D
That's right! He is isnt he. Golden week 2019 is gonna be extra long I think I heard! Where is the "end of Heisei thread?" I think we need a last hurrah thread like that. Hell, I'll make one...

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:44 am
OK, turns out I need to add at least one person to make an FB group. Do any of you want to tell me your real name so I can get it set up? PM me if so...
Ralphie,

My Name's Rich Grandy. I live in Atlanta. Go ahead and use me to set up the FB page.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread, nevermind.

naynay
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by naynay » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi.
I never really posted (didn't have anything intelligent to add) but I've always liked checking in now and then. Joined around the time Nova crashed and you were all so helpful. Thank you Shawn for providing a wonderful resource and outlet. I will miss this place.

Namekuji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Namekuji » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you so much Shawn. I’ll really miss this place.
a drink needs me, I don't.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Ill make this really short... I have asked Shawn to delete me as a user here. Dont wanna hang about until the bitter end and just want to remember the good times. Thanks also to everyone here for having me and putting up with my shit. Cheers all.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Maybe someone can snap the Emperor up as a private student?

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Ground Control to Major... Shawn

Unread post by In The Know » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 am

Like others have said, I rarely even check in on LJ anymore because within the past couple years there was little to see and so few posts. Yes, it served a noble and important-- and fun and entertaining-- purpose for many years! Things and tastes change and as Shawn aptly pointed out, eikaiwa as it was once known is gone. Eikaiwa in Japan is a mere shadow of its 1990-2007 self! Still, I enjoyed all the regulars on here.

Poor old steki47, a prominent (and controversial poster before being banned) will probably go to his grave not knowing his sounding board will soon be gone. :zzz:

Shawn, thank you for your initial idea for LJ and for your time, effort, monetary contribution, and all you did for the ex-pat community. :cheers: Allblacks, you were a fair and reasonable moderator! Good luck to both of you and "the gang" going forward.

That is all. :bye: