sushi

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

sushi

Unread post by Privileged » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:59 am

This is a reminder for those of you still living in the holy land to grab some 回転 sushi at your next possible convenience.

Here in the States, or at least the Midwest, people still think it's all about dragon rolls, or spider rolls, or whatever the fuck nonsense.

I was in a high-end reputable joint last week (thanks work) and imagined a Japanese person at the table. I honestly think they'd ask "This is sushi?"

(the gimmick at this place is they grill the top of the rice bed so it's crunchy..... YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG)

Single pieces of nigiri around where I live are $4-$6. If you have a beer, tax, tip, double it for a date, you're easily looking at $120 on the low end.

So the next time you're in your local spot throwing down Y2000 for a sick assortment of very genuine sushi, please remember us abroad.... with pity.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Re: sushi

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 am

Yeah, good sushi is not easy to get in the UK either, though it's less common to get the roll abominations over here. It's nowhere near as expensive here though - I got a decent set menu platter at a decent restaurant in London for a little over £20 a few weeks ago. Japanese head chef too which is not that common, though I'm not sure how skilled he was in comparison with chefs in Japan.
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:40 am

Privileged wrote:This is a reminder for those of you still living in the holy land to grab some 回転 sushi at your next possible convenience.

Here in the States, or at least the Midwest, people still think it's all about dragon rolls, or spider rolls, or whatever the fuck nonsense.

I was in a high-end reputable joint last week (thanks work) and imagined a Japanese person at the table. I honestly think they'd ask "This is sushi?"

(the gimmick at this place is they grill the top of the rice bed so it's crunchy..... YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG)

Single pieces of nigiri around where I live are $4-$6. If you have a beer, tax, tip, double it for a date, you're easily looking at $120 on the low end.
While true (although I never eat J food when I go home; obviously better here and I eat it all year round so I don't want to go near it), chain sushi places are not much different from what you describe. Check out Sushiro or Hamazushi or such like's menus online and you'll see what I mean. And while you can have a decent feed for less than 3,000 yen for two ppl (as long as you don't drink), I wouldn't call it, for the most part, "authentic". When I lived in Tokyo. wife and I had a local, proper sushi place we'd go to. But we'd always walk out dropping at least 10K plus, so it wasn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination (of course that includes booze). Proper sushi, all hand made by the owner who was the master and served by his wife, so it was just the two of them. Smallish place with a counter and 3 tatami tables (we'd always sit at the counter and chat with the owner). It was great, but like I say not cheap.
Privileged wrote:So the next time you're in your local spot throwing down Y2000 for a sick assortment of very genuine sushi, please remember us abroad.... with pity.
Or next time you have good Western food, think of us schmucks stuck here eating "Italian" (if you only serve average pizza and Japanese style pasta you shouldn't be called Italian!) or bland Chinese/Indian, or basically any non-Japanese food. The thing I look forward to most when I go home is the food, with the variety of booze a close second.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:46 pm

For me, kaiten sushi is where you go when you don't want McDonalds. :mrgreen: There's a Hamazushi near my place and the menu has some interesting concoctions. I don't think your typical Japanese would say kaiten sushi is authentic; it's just cheap and half-decent.

Even in Vancouver, where I'm from, I find the sushi overrated. I think that much of the public still has a strong aversion to raw fish, which is probably why there is a lot of rolled sushi and not much emphasis on the neta. It's tasty, but if I'm going to fork over a lot of money for sushi, I want some quality fish. Don't hide it in rice, crispy skins, and sauces.

If a place wants to make their rice crispy on top, go ahead--just don't call it authentic. :thumbsup:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Shawn wrote:I don't think your typical Japanese would say kaiten sushi is authentic; it's just cheap and half-decent.
Indeed. Every time the wife and I go to Hamazushi or Sushiro, the wife always says 最早寿司じゃない!But as you say good for a cheap and half decent feed.
Shawn wrote:I think that much of the public still has a strong aversion to raw fish, which is probably why there is a lot of rolled sushi and not much emphasis on the neta.
For sure. Actually, I've heard a typical Japanese thing when it comes to sushi: "I would never eat raw fish in gaikoku" (the implication is "I'll get sick") and in the same breath "Sushi in gaikoku is shit". This whole Japanese thing of "Right, I'm in gaikoku, where is a J restaurant?" really shits me off. And then, "Wow, J food is shit here. So much better back home. And the chefs aren't even Japanese!" Although for the longest time in Oz, Perth at least, they were. I think a lot of the maki places that have popped up in the malls are run by Chinese*. Although that is rich coming from a J person. Other than Indian and maybe Chinese, most non-J food is prepared by J peeps anyway.

*A friend of mine is a Chinese Singaporean dude and he reckons a lot of Chinese peeps do these maki places/J food in general, cause it's easier than Chinese food. Which also explains why they are so crappy. If you think it's easy, you ain't doing it right!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

MacGyver wrote:Indeed. Every time the wife and I go to Hamazushi or Sushiro, the wife always says 最早寿司じゃない!But as you say good for a cheap and half decent feed.
And if you have kids like I do, it's not a bad place to train them in how to behave at a restaurant. :wink:
MacGyver wrote:For sure. Actually, I've heard a typical Japanese thing when it comes to sushi: "I would never eat raw fish in gaikoku" (the implication is "I'll get sick") and in the same breath "Sushi in gaikoku is shit". This whole Japanese thing of "Right, I'm in gaikoku, where is a J restaurant?" really shits me off. And then, "Wow, J food is shit here. So much better back home. And the chefs aren't even Japanese!" Although for the longest time in Oz, Perth at least, they were. I think a lot of the maki places that have popped up in the malls are run by Chinese*. Although that is rich coming from a J person. Other than Indian and maybe Chinese, most non-J food is prepared by J peeps anyway.
:eyes: Which would explain why many Japanese pack their suitcases with instant miso and the like when traveling abroad. On the other hand, I find that even the locals (my parents included) are guilty of this thinking: Oh, Shawn's wife is Japanese, so let's find a Japanese restaurant to eat at. :bird: