Online Transactions with Foreign Names

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Online Transactions with Foreign Names

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Me: (types name in Roman letters)
Me: (types name in Japanese kana)
Website: “What the hell is that? A middle name? Psshhht, nice try.”
Me: (types name in Japanese kana without middle name)
Website: “That is still, like 11 characters, way too long, son, way too long. Nobody in this country has a name longer than like 5 or 6.”
Me: (Types SENSEI)
Website: “You realize this is an insurance contract you are trying to purchase, it won`t be valid if you use a made up name. And I think we already went over the Roman letter thing.”
Me: (looks longingly out the window at the rain falling down)
Website: "OK, you look like a nice guy and I want to help you out. Just try typing everything in 全角文字, then it`ll work."
Me: (types name in 全角文字)."WTF, it just automatically converts it out of 全角文字!"
Me: "Fuck you."
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: Online Transactions with Foreign Names

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 pm

How Japan exists online is beyond me. Case in point above.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:55 am

I dunno. With a market of 120+ million people, many (most?) websites don't need to worry about the foreign market. And clearly they don't. I've fallen into the same trap as Senseiman above. Clearly the developers don't even consider that the unwashed would buy said site's products cause it's not hard to add support for English/katakana. Although I run into it a lot less these days.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:47 pm

MacGyver wrote:I dunno. With a market of 120+ million people, many (most?) websites don't need to worry about the foreign market. And clearly they don't.
As an American living in Japan, I catch it the other way. Many American companies don't offer shipping overseas (maybe Canada). And they probably don't feel the need to bother. Sucks for me.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

MacGyver wrote:I dunno. With a market of 120+ million people, many (most?) websites don't need to worry about the foreign market. And clearly they don't. I've fallen into the same trap as Senseiman above. Clearly the developers don't even consider that the unwashed would buy said site's products cause it's not hard to add support for English/katakana. Although I run into it a lot less these days.
Yeah, it is worth mentioning that the website I was using which prompted this post was Rakuten, one of the world`s biggest e-commerce sites with a heavy part of its business coming from overseas (and English being used as the language in its head office).

If even they can`t design a website (I was using the domestic one, their global one is different) that can accomodate foreign names, nobody in this country can....
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:56 pm

senseiman wrote:Rakuten (and English being used as the language in its head office).

Yes, so I've heard also, but I do wonder how much English is actually used there. From what I've heard, it sounds like official communications are in English and that's pretty much it. English is only used when it must be used.
senseiman wrote:If even they can`t design a website (I was using the domestic one, their global one is different) that can accomodate foreign names, nobody in this country can....
Indeed. Pretty poor effort from a company such as Rakuten.

Actually, I've done work for Rakuten and even visited their head office when they summoned the agency that I did the work for (although I only did some of the translation and proof reading) to their offices. The Japanese was so stiff that the English wasn't great, or at least not very natural. When I say the J was stiff, think few verbs and mostly nouns. It was API specs clearly written by the engineers themselves. Anyway, the people I talked with their were absolute douchebags, and treated me like I wasn't there. Funnily enough, the API specs I've translated since the J has improved out of site, so clearly they also realized that the J was junk.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 pm

This is all rumour and speculation -- and OLD rumour and speculation at that -- so treat it accordingly.

When one of those Japan-based global companies decided English was its official in-house language, a strange practice emerged: Meetings would be held in English as per the official-language policy, but then unofficial meetings would be held soon after, this time in Japanese, for all the Japanese attendees to confirm what was said at the previous meetings.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:36 am

I feel your pain, senseiman, but it the reverse happens as well. I was using a American website and trying to enter my address in Japan and it wouldn't accept my postal code or phone number because they were "non-standard." :roll:

The real pain for foreigners is how they use their names on official documents. Technically, the katakana rendition of your name is not "official;" that distinction goes to what is used on your gaijin card. I had a hell of a time correcting things (I don't even have a teisei in)) when I bought my house. I used the name on my gaijin card for the loan, but then everything came to a grinding halt when it came to bank accounts. I had one registered with my name in English and another with my name in katakana. Foreigners occupy a gray zone where we are not fully expected to fit in with the norms of society until we have to.

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:33 pm

I remember at a bank where my name was say LAST FIRST INITIAL and somehow having some other form of something... gaijin card? passport? payment? I don't remember which was which but something else was FIRST INITIAL LAST.

WOAH WOAH WOAH, who the fuck are you? ?!?!? Really? That's not what's on your documents!

Common sense would dictate that it was, in fact, me, but this was a Big Deal and Super Annoying.

I made it a point to double check the work of anyone else setting me up with anything else to make sure all my name orders were identical.

Last time I was using auctions.yahoo.co.jp I saw an option for "buyee," which will do what I used to bother a friend to do -- bid for you, accumulate several domestically mailed packages, combine them, and ship them overseas to you.

(I get records so it's about as easy to mail 3 as it is to mail 1.)

This is an awesome way to get around the fact that most sellers will NOT ship overseas, but you definitely pay for it. Fees and shipping were about the same as the cost of the items themselves but if you really want something... at least you can get it.

I thought it was interesting cuz it can get around the fact that sellers and the site are not willing to deal with foreigners. Buyee bids, wins, and gets it shipped domestically. The seller and site can't complain. This opens the door for a company that gets the whole other markup based on simply being willing to deal with a foreigner, which absurdly involves being willing to mail a package to an overseas address!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:27 pm

As a seller on yahoo auctions, I have seen buyees bidders and their feedback is TERRIBLE.

If anyone needs stuff off yahoo Japan pm me. I can help.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:59 am

Privileged wrote: I thought it was interesting cuz it can get around the fact that sellers and the site are not willing to deal with foreigners. Buyee bids, wins, and gets it shipped domestically. The seller and site can't complain. This opens the door for a company that gets the whole other markup based on simply being willing to deal with a foreigner, which absurdly involves being willing to mail a package to an overseas address!
I buy stuff on Yahoo Auctions all the time and easily 99% of sellers have no problem selling to foreigners (provided they live in Japan, most don`t ship overseas).

There is that 1% though who just plain refuse to sell to non-Japanese, and advertise the fact, which drives me nuts.

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 am

Yeah I probably didn't put that clearly enough. I meant they don't want to deal with shipping abroad.

(I live back in the States now so if they ship to foreigners in Japan, I support that, but it doesn't really help me.)

Thanks for the offer allblacks. I hope to visit often enough to not take you up on it. But if that doesn't work out I'll message you!