Abdicating emperor?

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Abdicating emperor?

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 am

It looks like the emperor may abdicate the throne. Anyone else seen this? Am I slow on this one?

Who is a likely replacement? Any opinions?
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Abdicating emperor?

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Well he did a tv appearance a month ago or so, and while he didn't clearly say he wants to abdicate (because he's not allowed too) he said that his failing health is making it difficult for him to do his duties. If he did abdicate, his eldest son would likely take the throne.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:32 am

This has been reported on regularly in the UK. He's hinted at abdication twice in the last few months. I know he's not allowed to, but apparently it has been done before albeit a few hundred years ago so there is precedent. I guess whoever is next in line to the throne would get it - didn't they change the rules to allow an Empress to take over?
Shit wank bollocks

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:05 am

RalphWiggum wrote:didn't they change the rules to allow an Empress to take over?
No, while they were discussing whether to change the law or not, the Crown Prince's younger brother had a son, so there was no need to change it as there would still be a line of succession.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 am

My understanding is that there is no law or rule on whether the emperor can abdicate and it is this absence of any guideline that is the problem. Apparently, royalty just gets worked to death in Japan. I think the emperor has the public on his side, but it remains to be seen what the emperor's handlers will do.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:58 am

Shawn wrote:Apparently, royalty just gets worked to death in Japan.
I look at Japan and the Japanese and shake my head on many, many things (hot baths in summer anyone?), but on this issue I think they've got it right. Price to pay for a life of luxury and want for nothing. Sure, you could argue they were born into it and don't get a choice, and their life most definitely wouldn't be all that and a bag of chips in many instances, but then as I say unlike the rest of us they don't have to worry about doing a real job or where their next meal is coming from or whether they'll be able to afford a home or have enough saved for retirement, etc etc. So he'll (or any of them) get no sympathy from me.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm

MacGyver wrote:I look at Japan and the Japanese and shake my head on many, many things (hot baths in summer anyone?), but on this issue I think they've got it right. Price to pay for a life of luxury and want for nothing.
You're right. I should have wrote that as "work" since their official duties are nothing that any of us would consider work. In this case though, let the guy retire. He's old and his health is failing. Time to pass the torch to one of his sons.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:10 am

I read somewhere that the Japanese media put a taboo on reporting on the last emperor's health just before he died. Wonder if the same goes with this one.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 am

He should just take a sicky everyday and do the same as he does everyday. Just not clock in!!!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 am

Both the constitution and the Imperial Household law are silent on the issue of abdication, so the legal situation is sketchy, but the consensus seems to be they will need to amend the current law to address the issue of abdication before he can abdicate. The current government is in no rush to make that happen, so he`ll probably be emperor for the rest of his days.

He is a pretty busy guy, he even came by my place of employment last year (not to visit me, but there are some important people here), which was kind of neat.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:00 pm

This sums up the issue I think. Good series worth subscribing to as well. :thumbsup:

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Ooh, Shawn. Nice find!