soul of japan

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

soul of japan

Unread post by Privileged » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 am

I found this blog around 2008.

I wasn't sure if it was real or not but I definitely thought it was amazing either way.

Basically, this is a black American self-described "Japanese Nationalist" who seemed to define a love of Japanese culture as fried things on rice, Japanese women's volleyball, and the emperor.

I was so blown away by this concept I quoted a bit of it to friends in an email I still have a copy of:

"Ooh, this is a picture of George Washington,…and over here is a picture of Roosevelt…wait…I remember now, this is Lincoln. But, I don't know who this man is…?" said Yuko on our second date. I told her it was a picture of Emperor Meiji( the first wartime Japanese emperor to have a beard). She was dumbfounded because she didn't even recognize her own god, a typical stupid "J" girl ! I ended the date right there and went home. She walked herself to the station."

The idea of being a foreigner in Japan who walks out on a date with a Japanese woman because her emperor-respect skills are lacking still impresses me as one of the most absurdly funny things I have not had the creativity to be able to think of.

In my never-ending Japan nostalgia, I looked for this the other day and found it's still up and running, which amazingly, leads me to conclude this guy is a real person blogging his real life and opinions.

He seems to have cut the older era of the blog, which I now dearly wish I could read through. It's pretty mellow now, travel, photos, etc.

http://thesoulofjapan.blogspot.com/

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Where's a chinpira when you need one?

Unread post by In The Know » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:10 am

Privileged wrote:...I told her it was a picture of Emperor Meiji( the first wartime Japanese emperor to have a beard). She was dumbfounded because she didn't even recognize her own god, a typical stupid "J" girl ! I ended the date right there and went home. She walked herself to the station."
Wow, he takes Japan culture otaku to a whole new level. I'm not saying this lump o' pompous, misguided, arrogant gaijin shit should have his ass severely kicked by a group of bored and drunken chinpira in a park late some night, but.... No, wait, I guess that is what I'm saying. :wink:

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Re: soul of japan

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:26 am

Fuck, I'd forgotten about this guy! I can't believe he's still going, I thought for sure he'd have become disheartened with Japan (or been locked up for being a madman) by now. I'm sure his blog came up here years ago (though it may have been Big Daikon) and he turned up in the thread looking for a fight. He sounds insufferable.
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:59 am

The soul of Japan blog dude wrote:She was dumbfounded because she didn't even recognize her own god, a typical stupid "J" girl ! I ended the date right there and went home. She walked herself to the station."
The soul of Japan blog dude wrote:Genshu Lovely in her purity
Is it just me or is the hypocrisy off the scales to ditch a J chick cause she didn't recognize a picture of the Meiji emperor and then objectify women like this?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:23 am

His overuse of HDR in his photography turned me off quite early.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Just looked through it a bit and am regretting the fact that I did. The photos aren`t bad (HDR aside) and of decent composition, but the writing is long-winded and k excruciating to read. Good writing keeps the reader entertained without wasting his/her time. This guy fails at both. Like this post here http://thesoulofjapan.blogspot.jp/2015/ ... t-for.html

Why does a post that purports to be about "what is next for the hordes of foreigners (in Japan in 2016)" have this phrase here in it?

" I do not need to stay in Japan for love. But, I do find it incredibly seductive and elegant when I am with a lovelorn and busty Japanese beauty at a shrine where I can pick up the aroma of myrrh while gazing at the embers burn from the alter's incense sticks. Even the murmurs from the shinto priest's invocation are eerily beautiful for some reason. The invocation of the gods. If the Japanese matron loves the rice brew, I can run my eyes down the curvilinear angles of her smooth and flawless thighs as I follow that one small drop of liquid bliss down the creases of her legs, and there where it settles in the bush.... "

That quote about ditching a date because she couldn`t identify the Emperor Meiji is pretty nuts too.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 am

Wow thanks for doing the work of reading that senseiman. I read that a couple times and, if I follow, and I'm not sure I do, he meets ladies who like sake and then pours it on her and watches it run down to her snatch? A Japanese friend taught me the word "wakezake" which is like seaweed sake, which is sake poured into a woman's crotch so the pubic hair is like seaweed.

I figured this was more of a funny word than an actual activity but I'm glad he works it into his take on future foreigners entering the country.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Wow, senseiman, you sure seem to have a lot of time on your hands at work. :P Or maybe you're on vacation? :cheers: He seems to really like jukujo.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:16 pm

I set aside a bit of time at lunch for random stuff like this but to be honest I just skimmed through it looking for an entry with a title that sounded like it had something of substance to say rather than just his travel posts or random BS, so that was the only post I read. And it was enough.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 pm

I couldn't keep this guys site just to us, so I posted it reddit, and those guys found some gold, like this ...
For those that have followed my blog know what I love and what I do best. I eat good Japanese food, drink premium sake, and love the local Jukujo. [...] I love the youthfulness at play in Japanese sake... Like with how the little nervous goose bumps before you know you're about to do something wrong. Shiboritate is sake that is refined, yet brash and audacious. Adventurous. Sexually irresponsible. Bold and full of potential. Limitless. Boundless. Reckless and dangerous. Brash. And most of all, saucy! Just like I love saucy foods and saucy languages. Saucy AV actresses that have an unusual swagger about them.

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 am

that's interesting. I've taken some pokes around reddit looking for good Japanese content. I don't really get it. I get the forum format. If you have gobs of free time feel free to PM me how to enjoy Japan-related content on reddit.