W.T.F.?

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: W.T.F.?

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:38 am

Pfffft. Japanese music for the most part is rubbish. Even the non-idols. It's all about the money. There aren't bands out there (at least not many if there are) making music first and worrying about the money second. It's mostly poppy shit because that's what sells here.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Langslave wrote:I knew there were some sad numpties who bought like 10 copies of their favourite little nubiles new albums
And 9 copies of those CD singles end up in the used shops and then I swoop them up and sell them on Ebay to weeaboos.

Nice cycle.

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:38 am

well, there is an active and thriving scene of pretty much any imaginable genre doing it not for money at all. The band I was in from maybe 2006 is still going and believe me, they aren't making money.

we played with tons of similar bands.

it's a catch 22, no one hears about them because... they aren't selling very much, making much money, or even recording necessarily.

I noticed a ton of differences from playing in a band in the States. I know I've written some of it before, maybe here or on another board, but the "live house" scene is very insular. People hand out flyers for shows at shows.

In the States a big part of that was trying to get people you didn't know or were not already into that particular thing to know it's out there, so you flyer record shops or cafes or whatever (you are trying to bring in new people). Much less of that in Tokyo.

(I felt like it was for a small group of people to keep going to. If you weren't already "in," there was no effort made to bring in new people.)

Also if you were a band in the States playing a relatively small club or maybe a small club w a decent rep "normal" people would basically think that was pretty cool. If you play a "live house" in Tokyo I feel like normal people think it's kind of pathetic or you're kind of weird. Part of that is how everything is "pay to play" there.

In the States you might get $50 between 5 people which is a joke and certainly not enough to be worth it financially but at least in principal you are getting paid. Actually having to pay the club is pretty brutal (on average it works out to about the same, some shows you actually pay out of pocket and others you get paid a bit) but psychologically if you have to pay a place to let you play there... wow, you must not be a real band. But it's just how it's done there.

Overall I thought the local/underground scene in Tokyo blew America out of the water.

Mainstream stuff, geez, that's a sad fight for which is lamer.

While rambling, one other thing I thought was interesting about the finances of club/bands --

a small show in the states would be like $10 ish. They want you in there because most people will drink at the bar.

The cover at a live house in Tokyo will be 2500-2000 ish. (yen, so for lazy conversion $25). They'll usually charge you a mandatory Y500 more for a drink ticket. However, the bar is a lot more optional. Most people bring in drinks and some places you can openly walk out, go to a combini, buy drinks, and walk back in with them. This is UNHEARD OF in the States. Sneaking booze into a place that sells it is a serious no-no.

From an attendee perspective it works out about the same if you're an average drinker. $10 cover and a few drinks, say $40 in the States.

Y2500 cover and Y500 drink ticket and a few combini beers works out to pretty close to that.

It works out better for bands in the States because the bar wants the band there to get people to buy drinks at the bar.

In Tokyo they don't give a fuck; the live house already made their money from the band(s) renting it.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:26 pm

↑ Interesting post.
What, then, is the deal with gaijin bars that have live music? Pay-to-play like a live house?

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:35 am

I don't really know. I feel like gaijin bars are already set to cater to and do things more Western style, so I doubt bands there are paying to rent them out.

Barely related anecdote: when I first arrived in Tokyo and was exploring my neighborhood I walked into a place labeled "pub."

Because that means bar, right?

I walked in and was the only customer, greeted by 3 ladies in evening gowns. (This is in my very quiet, residential area.)

I somehow managed to ask how much a beer was, which was 3000 yen.

I went over this a few times making sure I got the conversion right, that it was closer to $30 than $3.

Then I left.

In all likelihood I took the train to Roppongi and went to Gas Panic, because at least I understand the concept. You pay Y500 at the bar and get 1 beer and you are under no further financial obligation.

[These are the kinds of stories I want from new posters btw.]

Obviously I was able over time to figure out the difference between a snack bar, shot bar, small izakaya, etc, and which does or is likely to have a cover or overpriced handful of peanuts on your way in. ("Pub" is still not entirely clear to me, seems like it definitely involves paying more for some kind of affection from one or more ladies, but just how much... I did not put in much research in this area.)

Later I'd walk into the amazing super small izakaya near my place where there was a 99.99% chance I'd be the only foreigner and the other 6 customers (at max capacity) would be old and unable to speak English...

Good times, great Japanese language opportunity.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:44 am

Haha. I think we've all done that once.
Yeah, I know nothing about the fee structure at gaijin bars, too, because I only ever played at live houses. (Paid to play, of course.)

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 pm

I found something tonight that fits, here...

https://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/v ... 6-10-20_PM

Jesus!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 am

Some satire in link below about the hapless gaijin living in Japan. It's a bit amusing. We've all been there with Japanese language learning epiphanies! I once had a smart Canadian teacher (correctly) tell me that the pronunciation for 'death from overwork' was karoushi and not karoshi, as I had been pronouncing it. :huh:

OK, the link:

http://www.therisingwasabi.com/gaijin-i ... ord-wrong/

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:42 pm

I suppose this goes here: I've been seeing "tweet storm" thrown about a lot these days, as in a twit making multiple tweets over a short span of time. I remember when we used to call these "essays" or "news articles" or "blog posts." :ack:

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 am

Shawn wrote:I remember when we used to call these "essays" or "news articles" or "blog posts." :ack:
Ah, the good ol' days when logic, reason, a carefully written view, and civility reigned when stating one's opinion. I'm not on Twitter and I have no intention of joining it. Ergo, the only tweetstorms I get wind of are when they are reported in the media... usually as clickbait. :evil:

On another plane, Twitter still hasn't found a way to make money through advertising or anything else. (Founder) Jack Dorsey seems to cycle in and back out as the savior CEO and still their woes are ongoing. I would think there are enough Twitter posters who would pay $50 a year just to share with the world their vast knowledge and to be entertained as Kanye West gets his panties knotted up with everyone and takes to Twitter to set everyone straight. :guns: :smash: :box:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Exactly. Twitter is too short a medium to express anything beyond sharing a link or trading insults. And they are burning money, too. Disney and Salesforce were interested at one point, but no takers. How long can it go on?