Atsugiri Jason Trolls Japan

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Atsugiri Jason Trolls Japan

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Caught this in my news feed and thought it might be good for a chuckle, and perhaps some discussion. Atsugiri Jasan is the American comedian famous for his WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE? schitck. Anyway, he recently wrote or tweeted:

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2145612187636425001
「日本は「日本は仕事ができない人にとっては『天国』、逆にできる人にとっては『地獄』!」にとっては『天国』、逆にできる人にとっては『地獄』!」
Japan is heaven for poor workers and hell for those with skills.

Naturally, the Japanese internet had a problem with this. Do you think there is any truth to his statement?

I think there is. I've had a front row seat to Japan, Inc and I've worked with loads of people doing stuff they have no experience in. This practice isn't necessarily wrong, but as a company, does it make sense to spend 5+ years training somebody to competency only to then promote them or rotate them into their next position?

If you suck at your job, it's difficult for an employer to fire you. What a lot of companies do is "re-train" these workers, but in my experience, "re-training" means sending the person somewhere else where he can do the least amount of damage.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: Atsugiri Jason Trolls Japan

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 am

Shawn wrote:Naturally, the Japanese internet had a problem with this. Do you think there is any truth to his statement?
Yes. Promotion based on age is called the escalator or something? But yeah other than perhaps commission sales, in many respects it doesn't matter how good (or bad for that matter) you are at your job. As a foreigner it is of course worse, cause you ain't going no where no matter how good you are. Although again the other side of the coin is you can suck balls and still keep your job. As Homer Simpson might say, moral of the story is don't try!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 am

MacGyver wrote:Yes. Promotion based on age is called the escalator or something?
It's a seniority system for sure. The latest thing in my office is promoting more women into management positions. It's a good idea, but as I look around, the pool to choose from internally is incredibly small. It makes me wonder if they will promote women into positions simply for the sake of being able to say that they are meeting the goal of X% women in management

As a foreigner it is of course worse, cause you ain't going no where no matter how good you are.[/quote]
That't not entirely true in my experience. Out of the pool of foreigners that I know in my office, they are working their way up the ladder; a couple are already in management positions (kacho).

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 am

Shawn wrote:Out of the pool of foreigners that I know in my office, they are working their way up the ladder; a couple are already in management positions (kacho).
Look, don't get me wrong, this is great, and in fact when I was on-loan to Canon 15 years ago, there were gaijins there who were titled (kakaricho if memory serves) and hell, maybe they even worked their way up to bucho by now, but most gaijins working for J companies are on contract with no chance of meaningful promotions. nd even these peeps you and I mention, they aren't in any meaningful management roles. As I say maybe one day, but the pecking order is J men, J women, and gaijins. I always laugh when chicks here bitch. They've still got it better than me! :lol:

Back to Atsugiri Jason for a second, I can't say I've seen too much of his "comedy" but one could hardly call it funny. J peeps find it funny though. I guess saying something like "kanji is hard" and then yelling "WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE WHY" in English is hilarious to the locals. I guess he's got the elements the locals find funny for a gaijin: speaks shitty Japanese, uses English they can understand, and acts like a retard.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:39 am

MacGyver wrote: I guess he's got the elements the locals find funny for a gaijin: speaks shitty Japanese, uses English they can understand, and acts like a retard.
A lot of my kids think I look like that guy. (I don't, really.)

He is mildy funny.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:53 am

In addition to the traditional lifetime employment system, you now have a bifurcated workforce that has emerged in the past couple decades which in many ways reinforces and actually worsens the problem in terms of the relevance of skills to your actual success.

If you are a hakken (dispatch/contract/temporary, etc) worker, which more and more people are these days, you don`t fit into the traditional hierarchy of the seishain (permanent employees) and are basically ignored, regardless of how good you are at your job or how much potential you may have. My wife has at various times worked as hakken and always had this problem. Basically no matter how incompetent a seishain is, they not only get better pay, treatment and benefits but also have long term security. Conversely, no matter how competent or hard working a hakken worker is, they are always going to be disposable garbage to the company with no hope of security or even a modest pay raise.

The Japanese workforce is slowly evolving towards one in which hakken are the norm and seishain the exception. This is mainly a reaction to the high cost of maintaining low-productivity seishain which companies want to avoid, which is kind of understandable, but the hakken system is an even worse squandering of talent and resources so I don`t see this as a good trend.

About atsugiri Jason, I find his schtick to be too obvious to be funny (some kanji are hard and make no sense? Yeah, I noticed that years ago too). But I do like his catch phrase `Why, Japanese People, Why?* If you think about it, he is really trolling the Japanese with it. The audience thinks he is being a typical angry American, but to English speakers it is easy to recognize that he is using a deliberately clumsy phrase that no native English speaker would ever actually say. 99% of Japanese people don`t have the English skills necessary to pick up on that and, viewed in that light, I think it is kind of amusing.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:14 pm

senseiman wrote:The Japanese workforce is slowly evolving towards one in which hakken are the norm and seishain the exception.
I actually saw a stat on TV a while back that shows this trend and said that X number of years (15? 30? can't remember) there'd be more hakken/contract workers than seishain. A number of social problems are going to arise from this, including one I'm going to have to deal with sooner or later: getting a mortgage from a bank. Banks hate loaning to anyone who isn't in a stable job, hence they love public servants. Hard enough for a lot of people to own these days but it's just gonna get worse with potentially a small group of landowners/landlords and everyone else renting from them.
senseiman wrote:About atsugiri Jason, I find his schtick to be too obvious to be funny (some kanji are hard and make no sense? Yeah, I noticed that years ago too). But I do like his catch phrase `Why, Japanese People, Why?* If you think about it, he is really trolling the Japanese with it. The audience thinks he is being a typical angry American, but to English speakers it is easy to recognize that he is using a deliberately clumsy phrase that no native English speaker would ever actually say. 99% of Japanese people don`t have the English skills necessary to pick up on that and, viewed in that light, I think it is kind of amusing.
While I don't find him funny, good luck to him. He's found a niche to get himself onto TV so I can't say I have ill-will toward him. Just hate the stoopid gaijin stereotype. I can't imagine his schtick will last long, as you say it's too obvious so there's nowhere for it to go. He'll have to reinvent himself if he wants to stay on TV. Just like a million other J comedians who only had one schtick; hard gay comes to mind immediately. There was a time that guy was on EVERYTHING and the real flavor of the month. But he disappeared as quickly as he burst onto the scene. To be fair though I think he got sick with a back hernia or something and by the time he was well again, no one remembered who he was.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:40 pm

MacGyver wrote:Look, don't get me wrong, this is great, and in fact when I was on-loan to Canon 15 years ago, there were gaijins there who were titled (kakaricho if memory serves) and hell, maybe they even worked their way up to bucho by now, but most gaijins working for J companies are on contract with no chance of meaningful promotions. nd even these peeps you and I mention, they aren't in any meaningful management roles. As I say maybe one day, but the pecking order is J men, J women, and gaijins. I always laugh when chicks here bitch. They've still got it better than me! :lol:
OK, fair comment. If you are not a seishain, then your odds of promotion are pretty much zero. Even as a seishain, while you have the opportunity for promotion, you really have to be prepared to live the rest of your life in Japan. Generally speaking, you can expect to be a kacho in your 40s and bucho by 50. After that, maybe hon bucho or an executive. It's a slow climb up the ladder.
MacGyver wrote:Back to Atsugiri Jason for a second, I can't say I've seen too much of his "comedy" but one could hardly call it funny. J peeps find it funny though. I guess saying something like "kanji is hard" and then yelling "WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE WHY" in English is hilarious to the locals. I guess he's got the elements the locals find funny for a gaijin: speaks shitty Japanese, uses English they can understand, and acts like a retard.
He was funny the first time I saw his routine. Now, meh. His audience isn't us, so acting like a spastic boob is his appeal to the general public. TV isn't his only job apparently. He is an executive at an IT venture.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Shawn wrote:It's a slow climb up the ladder.
Yeah the good is you climb regardless. The bad is it's a slow climb. It's like you're on one of those escalators at my city office for which the speed is designed for old people: slow as fark.
Shawn wrote:He is an executive at an IT venture.
Heh. Had no idea. Has parallels with one of his sempais, Kent Gilbert, who had a real job (lawyer) when he became a talento.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:16 pm

MacGyver wrote:Heh. Had no idea. Has parallels with one of his sempais, Kent Gilbert, who had a real job (lawyer) when he became a talento.
Well, the shelf life of TV talents is pretty short. Makes sense that he has a "real" job. :mrgreen:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

In my old company there was a lady working in accounts that had absolutely no clue. She made everything a royal pain in the arse. But she had been there for years and in the words of my old boss "I know she is useless but I cant get rid of her."

Fast forward to now and Im the boss. If I had someone like that working for me I would not hesitate to get rid of the non-performer. Consequences be damned.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:07 am

I say good on that Atsugiri guy. He came to Japan, saw a way to be successful on TV as an organ-grinders, gaijin-shaped monkey, and is raking in some green while the sun is shining. I don't find him particularly funny but hey, that's what the off button is for.
Do NOT arrest this man.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:31 pm

He is one of the foreigners I really dislike in Japan (along with the people on 英語であそぼ).

Pretty true with his comments though. I will say that a lot of companies will hire haken workers directly (as in make them seishain) but at big companies the odds of this happening are basically zero.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 pm

I also hate the fucktards that appear on 英語であそぼ.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 am

lordCONAN wrote:I also hate the fucktards that appear on 英語であそぼ.
You mean like that genki guy Eric who travels Japan and makes up silly song? My kids like him. It's a kids show!
:cheers:

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:41 am

It is a kid's show, but I just remember the first time I watched it Kiko was singing about blowing (a horn).

I just have to say that Eric has to make more money that he probably does - I can understand Kiko but Eric seems to be much older and honestly acting like that is a bit embarrassing - if he acted like Mr. Rogers, I could understand, but he doesn't at all.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 am

inflames wrote:I just have to say that Eric has to make more money that he probably does - I can understand Kiko but Eric seems to be much older and honestly acting like that is a bit embarrassing - if he acted like Mr. Rogers, I could understand, but he doesn't at all.
While I agree it is embarrassing, if they make even a fraction of what the Wiggles make, then I'm guessing it is worth it. I think at one point one or two of them were close to the highest paid entertainers in Australia and as far as I know they are all multi-millionaires. Like worth 10s of millions. All for jumping around and acting goofy in front of kids. Well played, sirs, well played.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:35 pm

My kid loves Eigo de Asobo.

I don*t really see what is embarassing about what Eric does, its a show for kids so he acts in a manner meant to appeal to them.

When I was teaching young kids (kindergarten age) I had to act basically the same way, dancing, singing and jumping around a lot with a big smile on my face. I definitely didn`t get anywhere near what he must get paid for it, and I actually remember those being some of my favorite classes because it was so easy to make the kids have fun just by being silly.

When they get a bit older (7 or 8 years old) it gets way harder....
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 pm

senseiman wrote:When I was teaching young kids (kindergarten age) I had to act basically the same way, dancing, singing and jumping around a lot with a big smile on my face. I definitely didn`t get anywhere near what he must get paid for it, and I actually remember those being some of my favorite classes because it was so easy to make the kids have fun just by being silly.
While I had a similar experience teaching kids for a total of about 4 years I guess, I didn't have to do it in front of the world! I'm sure he's gotten over that by now, but I bet if an adult recognizes him on the street he must get some piss take every now and then.
senseiman wrote:When they get a bit older (7 or 8 years old) it gets way harder....
I found a good repertoire of games kept kids that age happy. In fact I always struggled with adults. Even a year or so back when I taught business classes twice a week for about 8 months as a favor to a mate I found that time hadn't helped me become a better adults teacher....

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:46 am

MacGyver wrote: I'm sure he's gotten over that by now, but I bet if an adult recognizes him on the street he must get some piss take every now and then.
Yeah but if that happens he can always take solace in the knowledge that anyone who takes the piss out of a guy for entertaining kids is basically outing themselves as an idiot.
MacGyver wrote:I found a good repertoire of games kept kids that age happy. In fact I always struggled with adults. Even a year or so back when I taught business classes twice a week for about 8 months as a favor to a mate I found that time hadn't helped me become a better adults teacher....
I built up a pretty good repertoire of games too, but my problem was that I had some of the same kids in classes moving up each year and after the first time through I basically exhausted my supply. So once they went through a second term they knew they were getting recycled material and some of them were not happy about that.

I always found adult classes a bit easier, mainly because you could sit down for them and actually talk to someone in a normal way without worrying about behavioral issues, etc. For a two year period in the early 2000s I had 6 back to back one hour kids classes every Saturday. It was my big money day so I needed those classes, but god how that exhausted me.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:17 pm

senseiman wrote:For a two year period in the early 2000s I had 6 back to back one hour kids classes every Saturday. It was my big money day so I needed those classes, but god how that exhausted me.
Been there, done that. I used to wake up Saturday morning absolutely dreading the day ahead with nothing but kids' classes. If It hadn't been for the lure of heavy drinking on Saturday night I wouldn't have pulled through in those dark days. :clap: :drunk: