Fun things to do in Shinjuku

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Fun things to do in Shinjuku

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:32 pm

I'll be in Shinjuku in a couple of weeks for a weekend of debauchery and am overwhelmed at the variety of things that come up on a google search. So far the most interesting place I've found is Lock Up http://www.lock-up.jp/ ...The only thing I have against that is it happens to be a chain store that has a location I can visit locally. I'd like to go somewhere freaky like a place with a theme. Sexy horror or visual kei would be my preference. Really anything would be ok with the exception of sleazy Nigerian or Yakuza mizushobai joints and lolita style places.

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: Fun things to do in Shinjuku

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:46 am

How about a visit to the robot restaurant?
http://www.shinjuku-robot.com/
"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned."

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:08 am

That robot restaurant looks mental in the videos I've seen. Not somewhere I'd ever want to go myself, but mental.
Shit wank bollocks

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:28 am

Went to the Lock-Up a few years ago. The food is not great but the cocktails are served in beakers and the rooms are cool dungeons with bars. The hostess wore a fetish mini-skirt police outfit and she handcuffed me before taking me to our table.

Cheesy to the nth degree but worth the photos.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:53 am

Holy crap that Robot restaurant looks mental for sure. I think that I'd need to renew my Dilantin prescription before going there just to be safe. That place might be the most Japanese thing in existence. I'll have to pass on that though since I'm catching up with an old friend and would like to be able to converse.

Judging by the pictures the food at the Lock Up would not be that tasty. I am however very intrigued by the theme. Is it in any way scary or surprising?

Any other places? Also for drinks after dinner?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:55 am

MonkeyMagic wrote:How about a visit to the robot restaurant?
http://www.shinjuku-robot.com/
I've never been myself but I've heard it's awesome. One of my mates ALWAYS takes his mates/family there when they come to visit. I also believe there is no food so eat then go.

The Lock Up was "meh". Just one of those funny theme restaurants they were in vogue 10 or so years ago.

I lived near Shinjuku for 8 years and have done a lot of drinking there over the years. Various shit there (in addition to the mentioned above) but it just depends what you wanna do. There is also an Antonio Inoki (themed) restaurant there (forget what it's called). That's kinda fun if you are into Inoki and/or J wrestling. Certainly something different. I think there used to be like a hospital theme izakaya, like the Lock Up. Dunno if it is still around.

FWIW:
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/area/aream2115/amusement/rs/

Otherwise, Kabukicho is full of bars, restaurants, Nigerian touts, karaoke places, and hostess bars.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:01 am

sirwanksalot wrote:Also for drinks after dinner?
The Dubliners is one of my old haunts. Always seem to do Champions in the Golden Gai, although that's mainly cause my mates like it. "One coin" bar run by Filipinos that is small inside and they do karaoke but my mates and I just stand and drink outside. Very pleasant on a nice evening. There are like three or four hubs in Shinjuku but the one upstairs just outside of Kabukicho is new and the best one I reckon. Mou Mou Paradise is AYCE shabu shabu/sukiyaki place there too and cheap. There's a really cheap AYCE yakiniku place just near Seibu Shinjuku station. But as you can understand is VERY popular so you either need to book, go early, or wait. You could also do the conbini drinky thing on the main drag and watch half of humanity go by. People watching is always fun in Shinjuku.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 am

sirwanksalot wrote:Judging by the pictures the food at the Lock Up would not be that tasty. I am however very intrigued by the theme. Is it in any way scary or surprising?
Food was dull, bad okonomiyaki, etc.

Some surprises here and there. A show as I recall and some wandering staff in costume. Haunted house scary, but I didn't shit my pants or anything. My exGF hated it.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:41 am

steki47 wrote:My exGF hated it.
I'm not surprised. I went a long time ago now (about 2003 I'd say) and even as a youngish guy with a youngish group it was "meh". You really have to buy into the whole thing and go just for the theme and the antics. We didn't (mistake) and it was "meh". Might be fun if you do buy into it and really go just for that. Just about mindset I think.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:48 pm

MacGyver wrote:
steki47 wrote:My exGF hated it.
I'm not surprised. I went a long time ago now (about 2003 I'd say) and even as a youngish guy with a youngish group it was "meh". You really have to buy into the whole thing and go just for the theme and the antics. We didn't (mistake) and it was "meh". Might be fun if you do buy into it and really go just for that. Just about mindset I think.
She actually was scared by a few things here and there and generally viewed herself as being above such things as theme restaurants. I can enjoy the silliness at times.

In hindsight it might have been more fun with a sausage party than on a date.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Mac and Steki, I'm going to give up the idea of Lock Up since I'm the only one with a teenaged mind and a penis. Steki, next time we go out on a man date let's go in Nagoya. Mac, I like Antonio Inoki...Bom By ye! I've been to one of the Hubs 2 years ago. I ended up shouting 3 man worth of rounds because I was shitfaced and happy.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:34 am

MacGyver wrote:There are like three or four hubs in Shinjuku...
Happy hour at the Hub is the best value way to get loaded in Japan (or at least it was 10 years ago, last time I was in one!). 500 yen pints of Long Island Iced Tea. If you can manage three before the priced go up you're unlikely to remember anything for the next 12 hours...
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:40 am

RalphWiggum wrote:Happy hour at the Hub is the best value way to get loaded in Japan (or at least it was 10 years ago, last time I was in one!). 500 yen pints of Long Island Iced Tea. If you can manage three before the priced go up you're unlikely to remember anything for the next 12 hours...
Ha! Ain't that the truth! Many years ago, when I was young and my liver could handle it, I used to make the mistake of drinking first and then going in their for a long island ice tea or 2. Talk about hangover the next day! Only problem with happy hour is there is no beer. I'm not a beer drinker for the most part so it's no biggy but I do like a beer or two to start before getting into the girly drinks.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Ended up having a real quiet night at an izakaya in Shinjuku. Good food, conversation and lots of beer. Sunday night in Shibuya with the boys was way better. We were sat at the most awesome place between two groups of women on either side of us. I like Tokyo. The people are quite friendly unlike the cliquey small town I live in.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:35 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:The people are quite friendly unlike the cliquey small town I live in.
Heh. A friend of mine recently moved to Fukuoka after spending a decade or so in Tokyo and reckons the ppl are more friendly there than Tokyo.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:48 pm

MacGyver wrote:
sirwanksalot wrote:The people are quite friendly unlike the cliquey small town I live in.
Heh. A friend of mine recently moved to Fukuoka after spending a decade or so in Tokyo and reckons the ppl are more friendly there than Tokyo.
The friend I met in Shinjuku travels to my area on business on occasion and says the same thing as I did. In fact I've heard that from a lot of Japanese people..I've gone to quite a few different prefectures and judge the people by their willingness to provide me with directions. I've never been turned down anywhere but in the prefecture I live. I've never been to Kyushu but I've liked everyone I've met from there. The izakaya I went to serves Kyushu cuisine. BTW, I got an interesting job offer too

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Going to Shibuya Lock Up tomorrow. I reckon that place will be the shit!

Privileged
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Privileged » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:21 am

Lock Up was fun once.

I remember walking around Shibuya not long after I had moved over and just looking for anything to do. I loved that the entrance is like a haunted house where when you step on a particular place it triggers lights and sounds and stuff. I got to the front and was told, for some reason, that I was not allowed to come in by myself!

I wasn't THAT interested in going but telling me I CAN'T go?

Ok, must go.

By the time I made it in with a group I had been in Tokyo long enough to not be particularly wowed by the place. I mean, you get what you sign up for -- it's gimmicky, and you pay a little more for the gimmicks. Which is fine! Fair enough but not anything I'd say people "have" to go do.

I never did make it to the robot restaurant but it got rave reviews from many of my long-time ex-pat buddies so I trust it's decently worth it.

On a recent trip back I have to say I had an entirely renewed appreciation for going in a shop, then going to a lawsons, drinking a chu hai on the street, then going into another shop. Yes it's kind of ghetto but it's also just really nice. Where I live in the States is almost intentionally designed for you to not be able to sit down and basically loiter anywhere outside, you certainly cannot buy a single drink from a convenience store, and you sure as shit may not sit quietly and calmly drink that beverage out of doors.

So appreciate the small stuff wherever you find it!

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:27 am

I'll never forget the pleasure of finishing up at Nova for the evening then getting a beer and sitting in Ikebukuro Nishiguchi koen and depressurising with friends...
Shit wank bollocks