Summer Heat

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Summer Heat

Unread post by scanman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm

How are you coping with the summer heat? It was 40c here today. Sooooo . . . . hot. :(

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

World Cup in Qatar

Unread post by In The Know » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:38 pm

On a related topic, since it has now been proven FIFA succumbed to enormous bribes in handing over the World Cup venue to fuckin' Qatar, I'm surprised FIFA hasn't pulled it and moved it to a city where it, you know, doesn't get to 45-46 C. Obviously they'll play in a cooler, enclosed stadium, but you still have to get around Qatar while you're there for the World Cup.

Tokyo and Osaka get some heat and humidity though. Beer is a good coping mechanism. :cheers: :chug:

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Re: Summer Heat

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:16 am

I just got back from 4 days of camping in my van at a mosquito rich place. Option A shut all windows and doors and melt. Option B open windows and doors for a sweet cross breeze and get eaten. I opted for option B. BTW my Air Conditioner's compressor is shot so the ac only works when the vehicle is moving. I also had a radiator leak and overheated when idling my car in order to charge my phone. I temporarily fixed it with a bottle of stop leak and a few liters or high quality H2O. The surf was worth the hassle and I lost 2 and a half kilos in the process.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:29 am

Summer = awesome. Pity it is so damn short here. Just as I really start enjoying it, it starts getting cold again...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: World Cup in Qatar

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:41 pm

In The Know wrote: Beer is a good coping mechanism. :cheers: :chug:
.........:agree: :cheers:
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm back in the country for the first time in a couple of years. We're in Hokkaido at the moment and it's fucking boiling even up here. We move down to Tokyo in a couple of days, and I reckon the heat will kill me!
Shit wank bollocks

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:37 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:I'm back in the country for the first time in a couple of years. We're in Hokkaido at the moment and it's fucking boiling even up here. We move down to Tokyo in a couple of days, and I reckon the heat will kill me!
I lump climate change deniers in with the Flat Earth Society members. The PNW (Pacific Northwest in U.S.) is again seeing record temperatures. Seattle has had 10+ days of 90-92 F. This is a place where the vast majority of homes and apartments have no A/C. They've never needed it! California is on fire and the reservoirs are all but dried up.

When Hokkaidou gets scorching you know Mother Earth isn't doing well. :shock:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:I'm back in the country for the first time in a couple of years. We're in Hokkaido at the moment and it's fucking boiling even up here. We move down to Tokyo in a couple of days, and I reckon the heat will kill me!
All bullshit aside from shitty pommy weather, I could never live in that part of the world because of your cool summers. It's warmer in Oz now, which is in the middle of winter, than it is in England. I had the opportunity to work in Dublin a few years back but one of the reasons why I turned it down was due to the shitty weather. Gotta have me sunny weather and a summer.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:39 am

It was 35 degrees in the UK at the start of July. It's unpredictable for sure and some years the heat never arrives, but to say it's cool is plain wrong (or relative I suppose, if you live somewhere that's relentlessly hot).
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 am

RalphWiggum wrote:It was 35 degrees in the UK at the start of July. It's unpredictable for sure and some years the heat never arrives, but to say it's cool is plain wrong (or relative I suppose, if you live somewhere that's relentlessly hot).
Yeah but a couple of days of 35 isn't a summer. I've got a couple of friends in Oxford and they said they've been in jumpers of late and another mate home in Sheffield who said it was a max of 16 the other day. Sorry that isn't a summer. And sounds cold (not cool) to me! So back to my earlier point of not being able to live in the UK because of the weather (and to be fair that would got for most of Northern Europe) I'm from a place where it starts to get hot in October and is 25 plus everyday until April. And you'll get a few weeks of 35 and above in that. So yeah from my perspective you have cool summers, which is why most Aussies laugh when poms are struggling and freaking out when you have a day that is 35! A pommy mate of mine reckons you aren't prepared (infrastructure-wise) for hot weather seeing as you rarely get it, which I guess explains why you freak out. Although I grew up without a/c, I guess our houses are made to keep us relatively cool when it is stinking hot outside.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Sitting naked in a pleather computer chair is not the a good way to cool off.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:15 am

I guess the Aussie's can't bash us about the cricket at the moment so it has to be about the weather

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 am

MacGyver wrote: It's warmer in Oz now, which is in the middle of winter, than it is in England.
Minus four to nine here in Canberra, capital of Oz.

Would that it were a bit warmer.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 am

Yeah but Canberra isn't Oz! :-P And it's snowing in Tassie. Oz is a big place....

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am

Record heatstroke victims taken to hospitals last week

The number of people across Japan taken to hospitals by ambulance due to heatstroke or heat exhaustion stood at 11,672 in the week to Sunday, the most in a single week since officials started compiling comparable statistics in 2008, the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said Tuesday.
Temperatures hit 35 degrees or higher in many places across the country last week.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 am

Hiking around Thailand has not helped me escape the heat of Japan. Bummer :moon:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 am

Langslave wrote:'Fraid I have to disagree with you old Perth mate Mac, I don't reckon summer here is short. Least not anymore. I can wear thongs (jandals, flip-flops, etc) from May on through to October. Our cool biz at work runs from June 1st to Oct 31st and I'm glad as hell for it. Now if they'd let me weat shorts, thongs and T shirts to work too.....
We'll have to agree to disagree then. While it is warm enough to don summer clothes from May-ish, it isn't hot. Usually doesn't start to get hot until after rainy season. Summer for mine didn't start until a few weeks ago (roughly mid-July) and will end roughly end of September. Yes, by then the weather will be pleasant, but it won't be hot. You living on the heat island makes it worse. Although, still, I never thought Tokyo summers were so hot to be unbearable. I rarely used my a/c in Tokyo. And I don't have a/c at all in my current place (well, we do in the living room but I spend most of my time in my office and bedroom and the in-laws only put the a/c on at night). I guess I have a higher level of tolerance compared to most. Must have been all those years as a kid playing cricket in the hot sun that toughened me up! I'd love to live in a place that was warm all year round. Or least had a very very mild winter. Winter here is unbearable for me. I hate it. Just as I start enjoying summer it ends.... :(

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Crazy hot here in Sendai!!
37C yesterday.Looks like the same today too.
This is hell!!

I'll take a cold,snowy day in winter over this shit anytime.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Snowing (but not sticking) here today.

I envy your warmer weather.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.