The beauty contest winner making Japan look at itself

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
downinjapan
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: The beauty contest winner making Japan look at itself

Unread post by downinjapan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:58 pm

senseiman wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:This fuckhead is ex_drone. I claim my five pounds!
Oh I remember him. I knew we were getting trolled.

I hereby revoke my previous apology, DIJ. Fuck off you racist troll cunt.
Hello cunt, may I ask what "ex_drone" means exactly? Thanks, cock.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 am

downinjapan wrote: Thanks, cock.
Hi Cock.

You are welcome.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:38 pm

steki47 wrote:
Not per se, but I think the chicken/egg equation is reversed in much of the media coverage. I don't think it is racist cops hunting for blacks but it is some black people committing a lot of crime (often concentrated in specific neighborhoods) so cops spend more time looking at a certain demographic group.

Asians don't get stopped and frisked by the cops because Asians have very low crime rates. It would be a waste of the cops' time.
If young black men didn't commit so much crime, police wouldn't focus on them so much.
Also, in some of the more publicized black/cop incidents, cops were dealing with individuals who were "frequent flyers". Who also mouthed off to cops and resisted arrest. Selling loosies doesn't warrant the death penalty, but getting arrested 30+ for the same crime will put on the cops' radar. Freddie Gray got arrested 3 times in the same week for dealing. These guys did not learn their lessons. Personal opinion, no huge loss to society and I think it sad that blacks (and some whites) would choose these wastes as rallying points.
Again though I find myself coming back to the question of what the point is you are trying to make with these observations (other than just complaining).

Like I said, if I was a black person I wouldn`t find the argument you are seeming to promote (because some black people commit more crime it is OK for the police to just assume that all blacks, including me, are a criminal and treat me accordingly) at all persuasive. It is basically an inference of guilt by association, which nobody in their right mind would (or should) accept being applied to them based solely on the color of their skin (or any other attribute not related to their individual behavior).

And about Freddie Gray you might say he was a repeat offender and people shouldn`t hold him as a rallying point on that basis, but you are of course impliedly holding up the cops who killed a man just for selling cigarrettes in much the same manner (and other cops - like that guy who shot an unarmed man in the back just for running when all he was wanted for was failure to pay child support, or how about that 14 year old girl getting beat to the ground for....being at a pool party).
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Here's something totally random for you guys that you might find interesting: read this - http://www.wsj.com/articles/harvards-ch ... 1433543969

and then consider this: should there be A) no quotas at universities but at companies B) no quotas at companies but at universities C) no quotas at either or D) quotas at both

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:50 pm

senseiman wrote:Like I said, if I was a black person I wouldn`t find the argument you are seeming to promote (because some black people commit more crime it is OK for the police to just assume that all blacks, including me, are a criminal and treat me accordingly) at all persuasive. It is basically an inference of guilt by association, which nobody in their right mind would (or should) accept being applied to them based solely on the color of their skin (or any other attribute not related to their individual behavior).
It is not so much a matter of guilt by association as applied statistics. One could argue that auto insurance discriminates against young single men. Not all YSM will get into a car accident, but that demographic group has a higher frequency of car accidents so their rates are higher. It is unfair.

Police on the street do not calculate probability much I reckon but they do look for individual behavior (as you mentioned) that is suspicious.

Again I wonder about the chicken and egg scenario. Did police decide that black men commit a lot of crime and start to target them or did they notice that a disproportionate number of the individuals they were stopping were black men? I have a feeling it is the latter.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Kuronama wrote:Here's something totally random for you guys that you might find interesting: read this - http://www.wsj.com/articles/harvards-ch ... 1433543969

and then consider this: should there be A) no quotas at universities but at companies B) no quotas at companies but at universities C) no quotas at either or D) quotas at both
Tough question. Would depend on our goals. Do we want unis and companies to a perfect representation of the society's demographics or do we want the most qualified individuals to get those positions?

Historical trivia: affirmative action was first used at Harvard to help WASPs keep up with Jews who were quickly becoming overrepresented at Harvard. Based on test scores alone, Jews became overrepresented and so extra criterion were added to admission policy. Extra-curricular activities, "leadership qualities" and so on.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:11 pm

steki47 wrote:
It is not so much a matter of guilt by association as applied statistics.
This is just playing with words, these aren`t mutually exclusive concepts. Guilt by association is exactly the practice which you are defending here. You are now explicitly making the case that all black people should be subject to increased police scrutiny solely based on the fact that some black people commit crime more often than white people. Why in god`s name would any sane black person (or indeed any reasonable person) accept that?
steki47 wrote: One could argue that auto insurance discriminates against young single men. Not all YSM will get into a car accident, but that demographic group has a higher frequency of car accidents so their rates are higher. It is unfair.
There is a huge difference between the standards we hold a private insurer determining its rates to and the standard that we hold law enforcement - the agents of the state who are entrusted with the sole right to legitimately use force against other citizens - to. But even taking that example - you know what auto insurers cannot do when setting their rates? They cannot charge black people more for insurance just for being black. We accept certain differential treatment based on age in society based in part on the biologically determined fact that young people are going through a learning process and on the fact that everyone gets older and as they do they graduate up the ladder (pay higher rates now but in the knowledge that as you age and gain experience they will go down). Obviously that doesn`t apply to black people, who cannot simply wait until they turn white to receive better treatment at some point in the future, which is why we generally reject differential treatment based on race (well most people do.....).
steki47 wrote:Police on the street do not calculate probability much I reckon but they do look for individual behavior (as you mentioned) that is suspicious.
And they tend to look a lot harder at black people for that, meaning that all black people - innocent and guilty alike - are going to be hassled way more. And you wonder why black people are complaining about the police?

The rationale you seem to be advancing is really just stupid on its face - if you are going to allow police to target one group more than another then it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - because they are targeting that one group then of course they are discovering more crime by members of that group and violent confrontations with members of that one group are going to rise statistically. The question of which came first is really immaterial - if you advocate that approach to policing you are just promoting a system that will indefinitely perpetuate that needlessly destructive cycle.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 pm

senseiman wrote: The question of which came first is really immaterial - if you advocate that approach to policing you are just promoting a system that will indefinitely perpetuate that needlessly destructive cycle.
Well, golly gee, I don't know, hmmm....maybe if blacks didn't commit so much crime, the police wouldn't target them.

Asians don't commit much crime, so the police don't spend much time time stopping and frisking them. Young black men commit 50% of the murders in the US, so maybe there is some reason why the police focus more on that group more than others. But that is immaterial so it must be racism.

Cops in NYC and Baltimore are pulling away from doing their jobs and-holy canole!-crime (including homicide) is going up. Way up, in the case of Bodymore.

Sorry, any more hot models we can argue over?

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:26 am

I think the recent shooting in a black church in America shows just how devastating racial predudice can be.
Last edited by scanman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:48 pm

steki47 wrote:
Fabio: Over-rated or under-appreciated?

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:12 pm

senseiman wrote:
steki47 wrote:
Thanks, bud!

My mom says he is not attractive. I have no opinion so I will agree with my mom.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:16 am

steki47 wrote:
Thanks, bud!

My mom says he is not attractive. I have no opinion so I will agree with my mom.
Has your mother never taken in his "I can't believe it's not butter" work from the mid 90s? Pure genius.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:13 pm

senseiman wrote:
steki47 wrote:
Guffaw!

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:53 pm

senseiman wrote:Has your mother never taken in his "I can't believe it's not butter" work from the mid 90s? Pure genius.
This one? Christ dude, make it stop!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:44 pm

There it is. Actually my co-workers and I were joking around about that exact one the ohter day at work which is why I brought Fabio up.

I miss the 90s.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:20 pm

steki47 wrote: 1. The term "half" is quite different from the term "biracial" we use in English. Half full/half empty; it implies something lacking while biracial sounds better to me. It implies double or even more. Far more positive connotations.
I used to think this as well, but all Japanese people I brought up this line of thought with seemed to be surprised that I might find anything offensive about it - it hadn't crossed their minds. The way I see it now is as wasei eigo - "ハーフ" just means someone who is half Japanese, and exists outside any of the connotations that the word "half" on its own has in English. So while I'd still prefer they used some other word for the concept, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.
3. She is quite beautiful.
Now on this point I agree fully.

As for you, downinjapan, do you think the Miss America contest should be open to 100% full-blooded native Americans?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I don't think that fuckwit will be back. Why is it the only new faces round here seem to be total cretins? It'd be nice to get some new normal folk to liven the place up a bit...
Shit wank bollocks

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 am

RalphWiggum wrote:I don't think that fuckwit will be back. Why is it the only new faces round here seem to be total cretins? It'd be nice to get some new normal folk to liven the place up a bit...
That'd be nice. See what the young folk are up to these days.

As for the issue itself, I wonder what sort of conversations went on amongst the selection committee. I'd imagine that it was a bunch of old dudes (as old dudes seem to make most of the decisions about anything in Japan) , they must have been pretty progressive to choose a candidate that would have sparked so much controversy.

Good on them for realising that it's the early twenty first century.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:31 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:it hadn't crossed their minds.
Seems like nothing really does.

downinjapan
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by downinjapan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:10 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:I don't think that fuckwit will be back. Why is it the only new faces round here seem to be total cretins? It'd be nice to get some new normal folk to liven the place up a bit...
Wrong, you thick cunt! :guns:

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 pm

downinjapan wrote:
Wrong, you thick cunt! :guns:
Rather slow response, bud.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 pm

scanman wrote:I think the recent shooting in a black church in America shows just how devastating racial predudice can be.
The recent Vester Flanagan shooting shows where the anti-white rhetoric can lead. A crazy guy who hallucinated about watermelons appearing and disappearing and assumed every comment from his white co-workers is a racial microagression. Two white people, who appeared to be rather nice to this hypersensitive nutjob, were murdered on camera in a POV video game style. He wanted to start a race war, too.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 am

downinjapan wrote: Wrong, you thick cunt! :guns:
Oh no, you've hurt my feelings now. :noluv:
Shit wank bollocks