anyone here renounce their citizenship for Japanese citizenship?

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
lookslikeaduck

anyone here renounce their citizenship for Japanese citizenship?

Unread post by lookslikeaduck » Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 am

Previous GaijinPot forums there were a few people who did it.

Anyone here do it?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: anyone here renounce their citizenship for Japanese citizenship?

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 01, 2015 4:24 pm

I'd be more interesting in hearing the benefits. As far as I know, none, but would be interested to know if there were.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 pm

......would only consider getting j-citizenship if they allowed dual citizenship here like most countries.........otherwise, there's no way in hell Benny is giving up his Canadian citizenship.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 01, 2015 5:34 pm

ShonaiBen wrote:......would only consider getting j-citizenship if they allowed dual citizenship here like most countries.........otherwise, there's no way in hell Benny is giving up his Canadian citizenship.
Yeah me too (altho Oz rather an Canuck) but if there were a compelling argument I would consider it. But as I say, there'd have to be a compelling argument, and I'm yet to hear one.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

With the way my cuntry behaves I'd like to swap for another. But not a Japanese one.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Sat May 02, 2015 4:32 am

If the U.S. doesn't get their shit together, I'd be game to become a J citizen.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 am

My kid will have to make that decision one day. He is allowed to keep both Japanese and Canadian citizenship until he turns 20, then he has 2 years to decide which to keep under Japanese law. He has until 2036 to make up his mind, I wonder which he`ll go for.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed May 06, 2015 9:59 am

senseiman wrote:My kid will have to make that decision one day. He is allowed to keep both Japanese and Canadian citizenship until he turns 20, then he has 2 years to decide which to keep under Japanese law. He has until 2036 to make up his mind, I wonder which he`ll go for.
Nah, I know plenty of halvies over 20 who have both. OK, not plenty but several. He just doesn't tell the J side he has kept his Canadian citizenship. Although that is assuming the rules here don't change by then and the J govt. finally allow dual citizenship.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah, its kind of a don`t ask don`t tell sort of situation, isn`t it? It might be good for him to have the Canadian option in his back pocket, I`m not overly confident that this will be the best place for him by the 2030s.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 07, 2015 9:00 am

senseiman wrote:Yeah, its kind of a don`t ask don`t tell sort of situation, isn`t it?
Yep, that's my understanding of the situation. Actually my nephew will be in the same boat in 10 years (although he's growing up in Oz) and considering his Japanese-born mum made a bone-headed decision to revoke her J passport when she got Oz citizenship, it will be interesting to see what he does.
senseiman wrote: It might be good for him to have the Canadian option in his back pocket, I`m not overly confident that this will be the best place for him by the 2030s.
Yeah that is for sure, certainly if things keep going as they are. But then a lot can happen in 20 years so who knows.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 am

MacGyver wrote:considering his Japanese-born mum made a bone-headed decision to revoke her J passport when she got Oz citizenship
Why? Excessive honesty on her part?

Having a Japanese passport would make it easier for me to enter certain Asian countries. J-wife gets in with a visa on arrival while I have to do paperwork and wait an hour to allowed into Vietnam, etc. Still, that is not enough to push me in that direction.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 am

steki47 wrote: Why? Excessive honesty on her part?
Yes. My understanding of the situation (from those who have gone through it) is that if you are Japanese and get another country's passport, you don't have to prove that you have another passport. You just don't tell the J govt. So she could have kept both. She reckons she'll never live in Japan again and hence doesn't need it but I dunno, I reckon it might have been a good idea to keep it just in case. I also believe that if she wants her J passport back, it's a pretty easy process cause in the J govt.'s mind you are always Japanese so they're happy to give you one easily enough. So maybe it doesn't make any difference anyway. I just reckon she was too hasty. But I'm a bit of a hoarder like that cause the minute I throw something away is the minute I need it.

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 pm

MacGyver wrote
I'd be more interesting in hearing the benefits. As far as I know, none, but would be interested to know if there were.]
Well, from an American standpoint, there might be. America is one of the few countries that makes its citizens who live abroad file a tax return. Fortunately, I'm exempted every year because I make less than the cutoff (on paper), but the government over there has gotten stricter recently. When the co-founder of facebook told the IRS to fuck off and went to Singapore and took citizenship there (I think it was Singapore), the government got pissed. Now, the US government is forcing foreign financial institutions (including my bank, MIZUHO bank) to turn over all financial information about their American customers. So, if I get audited or if the US government starts making me pay American taxes (in addition to the Japanese taxes I already pay) for the privilege of holding an American passport, I'd gladly trade it in for a Japanese one (though that might get me put on one of those no-flight lists). Renouncing your citizenship for tax reasons is, when you think about, the most American thing you could do.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:55 pm

steki47 wrote:
MacGyver wrote:considering his Japanese-born mum made a bone-headed decision to revoke her J passport when she got Oz citizenship
Why? Excessive honesty on her part?
If you renew a Japanese passport overseas (at least in the US), you are required to prove that you are legally in the US (and no, a US passport doesn't count) - if she got Australian citizenship, she would not have been able to do this and wouldn't have been able to renew her Japanese passport.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:04 pm

inflames wrote: If you renew a Japanese passport overseas (at least in the US), you are required to prove that you are legally in the US (and no, a US passport doesn't count) - if she got Australian citizenship, she would not have been able to do this and wouldn't have been able to renew her Japanese passport.
The Japanese Embassy? Doesn't make much sense. One's legal status in the US is outside of their jurisdiction. I've never had prove my legal status in Japan when applying for a new passport. But assuming that is the case, easy way around it is to apply in Japan.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm

MacGyver wrote:
inflames wrote: If you renew a Japanese passport overseas (at least in the US), you are required to prove that you are legally in the US (and no, a US passport doesn't count) - if she got Australian citizenship, she would not have been able to do this and wouldn't have been able to renew her Japanese passport.
The Japanese Embassy? Doesn't make much sense. One's legal status in the US is outside of their jurisdiction. I've never had prove my legal status in Japan when applying for a new passport. But assuming that is the case, easy way around it is to apply in Japan.
They're doing it to make things difficult for people who have dual citizenship but shouldn't.

Their logic is that if you're not in the US legally, you should go back to Japan. Once in Japan, you can apply for your passport without issues. If you have dual citizenship and you shouldn't, you should either renounce one of them or put up with the hassle of going back to Japan to renew your passport (or having someone apply for you in Japan).