Living in a PC room?!

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
airport5

Living in a PC room?!

Unread post by airport5 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

I am in Tokyo and need a cheap place to stay for a few weeks. My hostel has been overbooked for the next few weeks and all the hostels in Tokyo are booked as well (as of March 22,2015) I guess due to college spring breakers and/or spring time weather.
I've heard about people living in PC rooms temporarily. Is this something people really can do? If so how do I find a cheap half way decent pc room for stay?
Any other temp living ideas would be helpful.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: Living in a PC room?!

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Stay in a capsule hotel. Im sure you can google a few...

Or there is always the Toyoko Inn group. Google that too.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 pm

https://www.airbnb.jp/

Rent a room in someone's apartment for 3500 yen per night...
Shit wank bollocks

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:06 pm

AirBnB is probably your best bet on a budget. As with every other type of dwelling, you'll find better prices and availability if you're willing to be a ways away from downtown (Tokyo's transportation system makes that more of a prospect than other places), and most places will offer weekly rates. However, I'm not sure if some of the folks renting out in Japan will allow foreigners to stay… Do you know enough Japanese to work out a deal?

I've heard that capsule hotels, as allblacks suggests, are not significantly cheaper than just a low-end motel, and I'm not sure I'd want to stay in one for more than a couple days, much less a couple weeks, but it'd be worth looking into if you want to stick to downtown, I suppose.

By a "PC room," I suppose you mean a booth at an internet/manga café? That's really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to overnight lodging. Yes, it can be done - these joints offer overnight rates that are generally pretty cheap since they don't get much traffic during evening hours, and they don't care if you sleep in the booth (or, judging from the loud, obvious sounds I heard when I was at a ManBoo once, furiously masturbate in the booth either), but it's all very communal, and there won't be a bed; just a chair, or a bit of empty floor space if you'd rather (I'd rather not).

If you missed the last train during a taifun, an internet café beats a park bench, but…

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:20 pm

I have stayed in quite a few business hotels and some do monthly rates.
One (Dormy Inn if I remember correctly) had a monthly rate of 80,000 yen.
I assume that price would vary with location but it included wi-fi,buffet breakfast
and onsen.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]