Renewing a British passport in Japan?

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Renewing a British passport in Japan?

Unread post by scanman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Next year I will need to renew my British passport from here in Japan. I've found out that I will need to send it by mail to England to get it renewed. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the procedure and how efficient and straightforward it was. Any advice, comment would be appreciated. Thank you.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Re: Renewing a British passport in Japan?

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:21 pm

There are massive problems with the passport service here in the UK at the moment leading to long delays in processing renewals. Even people who've paid extra for the fast-track service are having to wait weeks. I'd seriously think about making your application at least 4-5 months ahead of when you're going to need it.

mandangaman
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by mandangaman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:32 am

It's expensive t do it here
If you live in the USA it's the same
It's best to travel to England - you can use an expired passport - I did it - and renew it there
That's what I did

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Cheers! Thanks for the replies. Yes, I will send my passport off a few months before it expires. I didn't know you could travel on an expired pssport. Once again, thanks.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:05 am

Ah not you guys too? NZ implemented the same retarded rules a while ago. No more out of country passport renewals. Why they bother having Embassys overseas is beyond me if it isnt at least partly to assist citizens with basic needs like passports. DUMB!

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:10 am

allblacks wrote:Ah not you guys too? NZ implemented the same retarded rules a while ago. No more out of country passport renewals. Why they bother having Embassys overseas is beyond me if it isnt at least partly to assist citizens with basic needs like passports. DUMB!
Does anyone know if this is the case with Aussie passports too? I still have about 3 years on mine
but it would be handy to know well ahead of time.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 pm

angryboy wrote:
allblacks wrote:Ah not you guys too? NZ implemented the same retarded rules a while ago. No more out of country passport renewals. Why they bother having Embassys overseas is beyond me if it isnt at least partly to assist citizens with basic needs like passports. DUMB!
Does anyone know if this is the case with Aussie passports too? I still have about 3 years on mine
but it would be handy to know well ahead of time.
I'm doing the paperwork for renewing my eldest sons and my Aus passports now and it hasn't come up.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:33 pm

My kids got their Aussie passsports here in Osaka. The lady there told me they use an international courier to send them to Aussie to be processed.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Reading all this crap about other countries and passports made me realize passport applications are something the US does well with - last year I made an appointment, went the next day, paid and had my new passport less than 2 weeks later.

Renewing by mail is a bit of a pain as you need an international money order (expensive) or a US postal money order (not so easy to get).

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:56 am

Surprisingly, it took just over two weeks to renew my British passport online. After I filled out the online application and payed the fee, I sent my old passport, photos and one printed out document to the passport office in England by registered mail. I receieved my new passport sixteen days later. I was surprised and pleased at how quickly it was done.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:31 am

My old British passport arrived yesterday, exactly a week after my new one arrived. Altogether it took just over three weeks. I was pleasantly surprised after reading so many bad reports and long waiting periods to renew passports, especially from a foreign country. :)

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Yep, I did mine recently. Could not have been easier. About 3 weeks all in, including getting the old one back.

Great system they got now and totally hassle free. Only cost about 1500yen to registered delivery the old one back from the post office.