Questions RE extended stay in Japan

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
BaconMan

Questions RE extended stay in Japan

Unread post by BaconMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 am

Hey there,

I've been reading this forum extensively and have done some Google searching and haven't really found an answer to these questions so I figure I'll just post a thread and risk being told to L2FG

I'd like to visit Japan for an extended time (>90 days allowed for tourists). It seems there are many channels to do so through recruiters in Canada seeking English teachers, but the thing is I'm not really looking to teach. I dont need to earn any income in Japan at all.

So what are my options? Can I just travel across the border and re-enter Japan from a neighboring country and 'reset' my 90-day tourist visa?
Or should I apply for an eikaiwa job anyway? I dont want to teach but I do have English teaching experience and a TEFL cert so I suppose that could be a path to take. Is your 1-yr work visa tied to the place you work or is it still valid if you change jobs/quit? Can you get a work visa for part-time work? What happens if youre on a 'work visa' but not reporting any income?
What are my options for longer-term accommodations in Japan?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated,
cheers!