Lifes little gripes II

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Lifes little gripes II

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51 am

Sorry about the link. Try this one and click ENGLISH: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:59 am

MacGyver wrote:Interesting. They ask me how long I'm going out of the country for but I don't think anyone has ever said that to me (probably because my response is always in days to weeks, rather than months).
I've only traveled out of the country for a few weeks, but have always gotten the reminder. It's a friendly reminder, not a warning.
MacGyver wrote:This was the "interesting point" I was alluding to before. While not updating the card affects your residency, it's got nothing to do with your PR status. Back in the day, if memory serves me correctly, your residency card was valid for a certain period of time regardless of how long your visa was valid for. So with PR, while you have to update your residency card, you don't have to go to immigration and update your visa. Some may say that because you have to update your residency card every 7 years, that means you effectively don't have PR status. But I would disagree. Technically they are different.
Yes, that's my understanding. The card has to be renewed every 7 years while your PR status does not. However, you still have to visit Immigration to renew the card, so that process will pretty much waste a good part of your day.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/office.html
MacGyver wrote:I presume you mean visas in general rather than PR specifically? I'm not aware that PR visa holders need to update their visa (hence the "permanent" part). I've read that doc and find nothing about it in there. However, as a PR holder, I'm willing to be proven wrong. Actually, it's quite important that you do tell me if I'm wrong cause I might need to update my visa!
Yeah, that link is for a general overview of the system that Langslave might find helpful.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Langslave wrote:Sorry Shawn, that link didn't work for me, any idea how much it is for a non-P.R. visa?
Try this mate:
immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/pdf/NewResidencyManagementSystem-(EN).pdf

or click on Shawn's link and add ).pdf to the end of the URL.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Shawn wrote:The card has to be renewed every 7 years while your PR status does not. However, you still have to visit Immigration to renew the card, so that process will pretty much waste a good part of your day.
I was going to say not so much but then remembered the last (and only) time I visited immigration down here in Shizuoka. Was about 6 months ago I think. The actual process was done rather quickly (in fact after I handed in my docs I went to take a dump and was called not long after I got back) but getting there and back (and parking the car and having lunch and everything else involved) took pretty much half the day. It would have been faster had I taken the expressway but then that would have cost Y2K or so in tolls! Luckily, I am off the hook now for another 6 and a half years....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:03 pm

MacGyver wrote:I've been here off and on 20 years, and I've been stopped a handful of times. Whether it be on the street, in my car, or on my bike (bicycle). Don't know either but I've always considered myself just lucky I guess. I've always wondered if some people's stories (and the number of times they claimed to have been stopped) weren't somewhat embellished but who knows.
In other news, someone managed to write an entire column on the subject and not say anything.
http://blog.gaijinpot.com/what-to-do-wh ... he-police/
Perhaps it's just a bad idea to link to a GaijinPot article in the first place. :ack:

Been here 20 years and haven't been stopped once. What I have had are the police home visits. They knock on all doors in the neighbourhood and just check up on who lives in the residence. The police don't ask any pressing questions, but it's still invasive if you ask me. Go patrol the streets or something! :FU:

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:18 pm

I was stopped a couple of times. Once was when police were patrolling an area near an international conference centre where an internatonal conference was taking place. They were stopping and asking other people too. Another was in a railway subway station. Just asked for identity. No problem.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Very quiet on here recently.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:26 pm

New years I guess. Ppl go away, take time off work, etc. But then not like this forum has been a hive of activity for some time....

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:25 pm

I have been good. Not too many complaints really to speak of. Drivers annoy me etc but the best one was...

Yahoo japan escrow payment system and yahoo auctions Japan... What a bunch of WANKERS. I had a buyer put double the amount he should have into the escrow service. Simple way to deal with this would be that Yahoo Japan cancels it so that the buyer can put the right amount in right? WRONG! They refuse to get involved and tell me to sort it out with the buyer. Meanwhile the buyer and I agree to cancel the auction. So I can no longer talk to the buyer at all. I have told Yahoo to fucking get off their arses and sort it out. Lets see what happens.

I bet they just tell me it is my problem again. CUNTS!

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Went to Shibuya hub last week and closed it. Talked to some decent women and drank a lot. The guy who cleared my table congratulated me on drinking more beer than he has ever seen. I woke up the next day unable to sleep due to the horrible pain. The type of pain I imagine a stage 4 cancer patient has. I ended up vomiting a few times until there was nothing left. Got a cold two days after that and am now just recovering. Getting old sucks with the one exception that I have way more game with the ladies than I had in my 20s.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Shawn wrote: I have PR and every time I leave the country, I've been told to return within a year. Leave the country for more than a year and you risk losing your PR status.
If you leave the country for more than a year without a reentry permit you lose your status (they probably have leeway on this, but I wouldn't leave for 18 months).

It doesn't seem like the US, where they are quite aggressive about ensuring green card holders actually live in the US.

I thought about things a lot and decided to go back home (dissatisfied with work and parents are getting older but then wound up getting job offers from 2 seemingly good places and I'm kind of having second thoughts (but honestly just feel like going home).

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Might have mentioned this before but I applied for the IC gate entry permission. You dont get stamps in your passport when you leave or come back in. Highly recommend this as you skip the lines when coming back. There has been an absolute swarm of Chinese visitors every time I have come back from the Gaikoku.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Even though I'm on a spousal visa, I have been just going through the Japanese re entry gates. 4 times now and not a problem at all.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:38 pm

We have one of my first year classes doing powerpoint presentations about either their favourite country, or someone from history they would like to meet.
Wee lad sets up his presentation.

Slide one: My favourite country is Germany.
Slide two: Huge swastika.

Me: :jaw:
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 am

My printer at work says it is too cold to print. Reminded me of the SAMUI thing.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:37 am

Dammit! Now the Mormons are going door-to-door? :eyes: Go away!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am

The post office does my head in. They tried to deliver something to me on a Sunday at work. I went online and chose to pick it up at the post office and when I got there they wanted to see some ID proving I was who I said I was. Of course I dont have that sort of ID and they changed it to a business card! What does that fricking prove?! So I had no choice but to get them to redeliver it. When the guy came I needed to send something else and asked him to take it but he couldnt because he was on a motorbike! Same size as the thing he delivered. FUCK!

Oh and there was the case last year of a guy working for me where the Post office bank had set up his account so that he couldnt have money transferred into it. I sent him a message in Japanese to show them asking them to change it so he could receive payments but they ignored it.
Even more perplexing: I could pay him from other banks. Just NOT from a Post office account!

Logic doesnt exist at Japan post. They are the living breathing Muppets!

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Ah! Langslave! You're back! At least you were able to get in - Do tell. How did you sort the visa out?
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Good grief. Glad to hear that you made it though - you found a way. You really should get that re-entry permit sorted out. No point in leaving bridges unmaintained as it were. And I can't see the immigration rules getting anything but worse and worse.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Whoever says life is easy certainly hasn't lived it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, that sounds complete bullshit.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:32 pm

I was stopped at a red light on my bicycle yesterday. The right turn filter on the other light went from yellow to red and naturally (being Japan) I waited a couple extra seconds for the ubiquitous last car to go through on red. As I started to move off, one more car came through, super late. I wasn't in danger of getting hit by it, it was a couple of metres away, but still a blatant red- light runner.

The first vehicle going straight through the other way, and therefore immediately behind the car in question, was a cop. I thought 'Haha, busted' and waited for the pigs to light him up. As I was travelling in the same direction I watched the cop for a good 30 seconds or so, but no sirens. 'Oh, well' I thought, 'typical Japan.'

About 100 to 150 metres later, the cop pulled in to its destination. That destination? A road side road-safety campaign.

So that fucking cop spent the next evening in some road safety booth, asking people to drive safely or whatever the fuck it is they pretend to do in there, and not 5 minutes before had totally ignored at least one driver blatantly charging a red light. I love this country, but sometimes I really hate this goddamm fucking country.

Seriously, if they put red light cameras up at intersections and imposed a fine of 5000 yen a pop, they'd have the national debt paid off in about a week.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Seriously, if they put red light cameras up at intersections and imposed a fine of 5000 yen a pop, they'd have the national debt paid off in about a week.
Haha yep. But can you imagine reaction from the locals? "How the fark are we supposed to get anywhere on time if we can't run red lights?!?!?!"

The shear number of lights, the poor organization of them, and the number that are a complete waste of time, shits me to no end. The fact that they can't sync them makes it even worse. I hate driving in this country. It is such a massive frustration.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm

MacGyver wrote:The shear number of lights, the poor organization of them, and the number that are a complete waste of time, shits me to no end. The fact that they can't sync them makes it even worse. I hate driving in this country. It is such a massive frustration.
Yeah, there is something strange about driving here. It's hard to explain but it just feels like there is just no rhyme or reason to it. Cars change lanes through intersections, indicating is part of the mechanical process of turning a corner rather than a signal to other drivers, traffic lights are more a suggestion than a rule, the intersections are bizarre, the cops are pathetic.

The closest intersection to my apartment is a crossroads. There is a traffic light going in one direction only, and in the other direction the road is one car wide but it is a two way road. If two cars are at the side roads, one has to pull in to the main road, swerve to the left, stop, and wait for the other car to go past. If there is more than one car in either lane, it's a goddamm catastrophe. My civil engineer friend from home saw it and almost had a heart attack.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:53 pm

I think part of the problem is that there is just no city planning when it comes to roads. They just seem to organically spring up. I know the locals all seem to think it's shoganai and so on, but the lack of planning does my head in. Case in point, there's an industrial park some 5 clicks or so north of where I live, which has been there a while, probably in the decades, but for whatever reason, traffic to it has slowly increased to the point that the two roads that service it just can't handle the volume. One road is barely wide enough for two cars in places, let alone two trucks coming in opposite directions. And they even widened one of the roads, which has a school on it. :doh:

So they are making a new road, presumably to be the main thoroughfare to the industrial park. But of course the stages they've completed aren't any wider than the existing roads. And where it intersects an existing road is about 30 meters from another intersection, so of course we're gonna have two sets of traffic lights within 30 meters of each other that don't sync....

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Haha.. reading this thread sure brings back some wonderful memories from driving in Japan!

I used to live "up north" in the Fukushima / Koriyama area and what used to piss me off the most (apart from people pulling out without asking and then "thanking you" with their warning lights afterwards) was the complete lack of opportunity to be able to drive out "on the open road".

By this I mean is that there'll always be a fucking traffic light, no matter what kind of road your are on, no matter how far away from a major town or city you are.

You build up to the snail speed limit of 40km/h, just feel that you are about to cruise for a bit and then stop. There's a 50cm wide path coming onto the road leading to Hashimoto-San's 2.5 metre square farm with a red fucking traffic light. Get back up to 40km/h again, drive another 50metres further down and stop. Yet another red traffic light for Suzuki-San's 0.5 cm square allotment spot.

Oh yes and the running red light thing - what a joke also.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 pm

I nearly got hit this morning by a woman who decided to skip into a non gap in front of me. Got a better look and her child was standing on the rear seat and nearly fell over.

These people are utterly batshit crazy.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 pm

TV shows that go abroad and find Japanese living in weird places. Fucking boring crap!

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:02 pm

allblacks wrote:TV shows that go abroad and find Japanese living in weird places. Fucking boring crap!
Or the ones in which the kids are sent off to find their dad who is working in a foreign country. The dad turns round, sees their kid for the first time in a year or whatever.....

'A re? Nani?''
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:02 am

allblacks wrote:TV shows that go abroad and find Japanese living in weird places. Fucking boring crap!
Funny, my wife and I love that show.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:13 pm

steki47 wrote:Funny, my wife and I love that show.
Seems to me there are several of them, although they are all very similar. They all seem to have undertones of comparing Japan to the gaijin country and showing that Japan is, of course, better.