Lifes little gripes II

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Re: Lifes little gripes II

Unread post by allblacks » Sat May 28, 2016 11:20 pm

People who buy something off you and complain that it's the wrong one. This is despite you writing exactly what the item is in the title and description and taking a picture of the makers serial sticker.

If you can't read basic things. How's that my problem? No I won't refund you. No way in hell.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue May 31, 2016 11:44 am

Shit like that is why I stopped selling on ebay. Still use it to buy stuff though - I hate buying suits but buying slightly used ones on ebay cheaply is really, really nice.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 pm

So I took a new job as an interpreter and translator starting June 1st (old job didn't have interpreting really).

It turned out that the company basically had two translators/interpreters, one of them quit and it has basically been a revolving door, then the second one quit (I replaced him). Apparently all of the people quit because of stress except for one woman who was let go (she lasted 4 months - apparently she was just slow as molasses and took 3 hours to translate what the other translators would do in 30 minutes). Apparently with one of the people they basically begged her to stay but she said she felt she couldn't do it.

I can totally understand why they quit. The translating part of it is okay, but honestly the interpreting part is stressful as all hell. There are two of us but we each handle teams and the guy I replaced was there for 8 years, so everybody there is used to his style of interpreting (which was to basically interpret everything they said when he was interpreting, but he wouldn't interpret 100% of every conversation and would instead let them speak by themselves). Some meetings involve translating on Lync simultaneously (but just the important things), and others involve consecutive interpreting. Some of the people have rather good English, so my predecessor wouldn't interpret every question (for example) and would instead let them answer on their own, but I have no idea about why he didn't at times, not to mention that I seem to mess it up.

It is just so stressful and I feel as though I'm not doing a good job. I also feel that my coworkers aren't satisfied by it, but aren't actually saying it. I think they realize it is part of me being new, but I still feel like I'm doing badly.

We had one meeting today where I was interpreting for a project meeting with some people in the US, Tokyo, and Osaka (I'm in Osaka). The guy in Tokyo is mumbling and giving evasive answers because his shit is holding up the project (as in a one month delay at a minimum, per today's information). My predecessor told me about him (he is young and doesn't really know how to give bad news), but I felt like telling him he wasn't giving the answer so to shut up and give it. My boss stepped in and got an answer out of him (people did kind of seem pissed that he waited until asked to tell us about a one month delay), but I still feel as though part of that was on me (honestly I don't think I did a good job of interpreting there). At the beginning he said it would be delayed until the middle of August, then in the middle said they didn't promise it and the middle was the earliest, then at the end said the end of August was the possible earliest date. Everyone just wanted the call to finish then so I wasn't even given a chance to translate that last part.

One other meeting was interpreting via Lync - last week I watched my predecessor do it, but he didn't invite me to the Lync conversation, so I actually thought he didn't interpret about 2/3rds of it. My boss asked me to interpret more (I cut out the time wasting stuff) and then when I did most of it he said only to interpret the work-related things (which is what I was doing initially).

Can't wait for the weekend.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03 am

The fact you have an interpreting job is pretty mind blowing. Congrats on achieving that level of Japanese. I just started a new role as well and you should just chalk it up to being new. My first week I was just like "WTF did I get myself in to?" You know. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Even if you do biff it once in a while, by the end of the day no one will give a shit.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 pm

My teaching schedule this term is the worst. They have me teaching the same grade the same materials all on the same day, four classes a day. Mon, Tue and Thursdays are all exclusively third-grade classes, Wednesday and Friday are all first-graders.

I feel so sorry for the last class on each day because my input is basically 'OK, page 9. Do the exercises. Finished? OK, great. Do the next exercise.'
Do NOT arrest this man.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:My teaching schedule this term is the worst. They have me teaching the same grade the same materials all on the same day, four classes a day. Mon, Tue and Thursdays are all exclusively third-grade classes, Wednesday and Friday are all first-graders.

I feel so sorry for the last class on each day because my input is basically 'OK, page 9. Do the exercises. Finished? OK, great. Do the next exercise.'
This was my life teaching in Yokkaichi for the entire damn year.... That shit was mind-numbing.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Taking the train to my new job last Friday. Train arrives at my station. Twenty-something fuckhead with a huge backpack is playing a video game and standing directly in the middle of the doorway. There is no way to get around him without physical contact. I gently brush my shoulder against him, hoping he would take the hint and move (many others do this and I move out of other people's way).

Nope. Cunt resists and pushes back against me. I must get off the train and so I apply more force and shove past him (easily). He yells "やめろ!" at me and I shout "どけ" back. Everyone stops and stares for a second and moves on. Really happy none of my students saw me yelling.

My wife says I should have been nicer. (She always says that to me.)

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm

How can you be nicer to a cunt?

It sounds to me like you might have said "ORIMASU" really loudly like I did the other day. I was coming back from the airport with 50 kgs of shit in two large cases.
JR was late because it was raining or something 100kms away in Wankayama. I had to force myself to yell ORIMASU in the car just before doors opened.

Naturally it did not stop the smartphone zombie cunts trying to push on before we could get off. I really like thumping them with a good shoulder. Fuckers!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 am

allblacks wrote:How can you be nicer to a cunt?

It sounds to me like you might have said "ORIMASU" really loudly like I did the other day.
Suppose I could've said something. Silly me, thinking that people would move out of the way. (They generally do on my line in Nagoya.)

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:05 pm

My girlfriend and I went to the Japan v Scotland rugby match last Saturday. Long story short, there was an issue with cup-holders, as in which holder (attached to the seats in front) belongs to which seat in the row.

The people sitting next to my girlfriend wanted us to move our beers along. I had checked seats vs holders when we first sat down so I knew we were using the correct ones and told them so. My girlfriend, not wanting to cause a row, took their side and told me to just move them, as the seats next to me were still empty. I held out for a bit, but then figured fuck it, it's just cupholders, and I really don't want to deal with 'pouty, pissed-off girlfriend' for the rest of the night so I relented.

Naturally, the ticket holders to my left arrived right at kickoff and quickly let me know that I was using their holder, not directly but by many an exaggerated 'Are?!' while holding their cups near the holders and discussing between themselves, in voices designed to be overheard by me, how I was using the wrong cup-holder. I was too pissed-off to give a shit so I just ignored them and tried to enjoy the game.

No doubt they had a nice story to tell everybody they know about the stupid inconsiderate cunt gaijin who stole their cup-holders.
Do NOT arrest this man.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:32 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Naturally, the ticket holders to my left arrived right at kickoff and quickly let me know that I was using their holder
Which is what I would have told the people who first asked you to move them down the line. "Other people will arrive from the other end and they'll be looking for the seat-assigned cup holder. Then what?" I understand the predicament with the missus/gf though. Normally Japanese are pretty rule-obeying and logical (which I like) so I'm surprised the first group "took a shit in the parlor."

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Pretty rule obeying...except on the roads.

Today I had a spate of people not indicating before turning. It was weird. Like five cars in a row!

I'm seriously thinking about getting a huge German yak type car so that people won't come near me whilst diving. Would love a 7 series BMW or a big Benz. It's shaken time in October. I'll make a decision soon. Lol

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:18 am

In The Know wrote:Which is what I would have told the people who first asked you to move them down the line. "Other people will arrive from the other end and they'll be looking for the seat-assigned cup holder. Then what?" I understand the predicament with the missus/gf though. Normally Japanese are pretty rule-obeying and logical (which I like) so I'm surprised the first group "took a shit in the parlor."
Yeah, like I said, I held out for a little bit trying to explain the situation. That they had made a mistake is not what pissed me off. These things happen and they were polite when requesting that we move our beers. What did piss me off was my girlfriend taking their side and not giving me a chance to argue the point.

Maybe it's just me but I expect my friends, family members and so-on, to have my six regardless. Like I did when I took my girlfriend's side about two months ago when she was in a fender bender (which was completely her fault by the way) and almost had to defend myself physically against the irate other driver. You can discuss it later, be angry about it or whatever, but in the moment, at the time, you have your friend's back.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote: What did piss me off was my girlfriend taking their side and not giving me a chance to argue the point.
Japanese GF? I saw this with previous relationships. I thought that we were a couple and would defend each other. Ex-GF read the situation as me always being in the wrong. Not BF&GF vs. the rest but instead Jpn&Jpn vs. ME. Saw it with Nova staff, JTEs and so on.

Just a guess.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Yeah, she's Japanese. I do agree with you about the 'Japan v the rest' angle but for now I will give her the benefit of the doubt as that ethnocentric, myopic attitude is probably the thing I like the least about Japan.

She knows I can get a bit niggly and abrasive in those kind of situations so she was (hopefully) simply trying to avoid that.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 am

Bit of a strange one but... Russian spam on the forum.
I've deleted heaps of these posts in the last week and banned the authors.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Another gripe I'm afraid. Residence tax!

If you don't pay it they start threatening and blackmail. I'm deadly serious. I was told that my residence would have a lean placed on it! What right do they have to blackmail! It is going too far!

I have nowhere to vent my anger about these scumbags at city hall. Ever tried talking to these people? They are turds! I told one I was upset at paying this tax because I could not vote amongst other gripes. His response was basically to say that they would do the above until I paid.

Thinking up a scheme to get back at them won't work either. I thought about going down there and making a formal complaint about the blackmail. It will achieve zero. They think they can do whatever they want!

I am out of money to pay them. Let's see what happens next when I can't meet their fucken deadline.

I do apologize to all here. This needed to come out.

downinjapan
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by downinjapan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Find me a person who LIKES paying residents (sic) tax...?!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Oops. You're right.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:43 pm

A new gripe frm me: blatant racism on yaho Auctions.

Was about to bid on this lot of toy cars for my kid

http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... j399713267

Whwn I noticed the "foreigners: don't bid on my stuff" disclaimer at the end of the seller's description.

That shit pisses me off. 99 percent of sellers on YAJ are cool, but there are a ton out there who put stuff like that in their descriptions.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:05 pm

You should bid on it.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:42 pm

Maybe he means people outside Japan don't bid? ie no international delivery.

Anyway, stuff it. Bid anyway.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:55 am

"海外発送 対応しません"

The guy has that selected in the shipping description.

Maybe he had some idiot completely fuck up a purchase and cancel it in the past. When that happens, the seller still must pay auction fees. It has happened countless times to me with both foreign and Japanese buyers.

I had one non Japanese buyer pay twice for an item then screw up the Japanese telling me he did. It sounded more like I paid twice than he did. Pain in the arse to sort out as he paid bank transfer and kantan kessai.

Then there was a Japanese woman that claimed her foreigner husband bid on and bought something by mistake. He bid on it about ten times. No mistake in my book. Stupid excuses!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:35 am

Actually it is this part that I was talking about

"外国人は入札しないでください。"

If they don't want overseas buyers then fine, but this wording usually means they'll cancel your transaction once they see a katakana name on your bank info, no matter where you live or how good your feedback is. Its happened to me once before (I hadnynoticed the no foreigners warning when I bid that time because it wasn't even something I knew to be looking out for).

Auction already ended without me bidding on it. I didn't want to bid the thing up for that douchebag to get more money for them.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Saw that. My comment waa on the other aspect.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:45 pm

I got a temp ban from ESL Cafe. Something about "inflammatory accusations". On a thread about the Dalai Lama. After all the arguing I have done over there, that gets me a ban. Haha.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:32 am

Fuck wits that sleep on the floor of a boarding gate despite there being enough seats. In this case, a white chick is the culprit.

Oh, and at security, a gaggle of young j chicks trying to finish off their drinks just blocking everything. No one could get through and they were yabbering away non stop. Fucking annoying kids!

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Founder of Yamachan died today. RIP

http://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6211897

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 pm

steki47 wrote:Founder of Yamachan died today. RIP

http://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6211897
The man made good wings.
Shit wank bollocks

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Shit...You know that's my favorite place. RIP Yamachan!