The little observations...

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

The little observations...

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 am

The path to ultimate stardom in J-land flows from Johnny come lately singers becoming TV hosts and actors, as opposed to in OZ where it flows from terrible actors moving to London to become singers.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Re: The little observations...

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:24 am

パンくん is the most intelligent and entertaining being that has ever or will ever appear on J-TV.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Coming back to daily life in Japan, I'm sometimes finding myself surprised by the little things which cause me to go "ah, I remember this." Like the feel of the yellow bumpy lines paved into the sidewalks (is there a proper name for those things?), the way-too-sweet smell of a grocery store bakery, and seeing signs advertising "ローン" in far more places than one sees them in the US.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 pm

The hole in the stool thing you sit on when having a shower in J-land is incredibly well placed. :clap:

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm

In the suburbs there is a neglected unicycle out the front of every other house.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I understand that train companies are shutting down their escalators to save energy, but do they have to tape them off like a crime scene? Why are we not allowed to use them? After all, aren't non-moving escalators simply stairs?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am

Langslave wrote:
Shawn wrote:I understand that train companies are shutting down their escalators to save energy, but do they have to tape them off like a crime scene? Why are we not allowed to use them? After all, aren't non-moving escalators simply stairs?
I asked, and asked, and asked at work "WHEN can we start using the lift again?", they kept answering they werent using it "just in case". In case what? Japan EVER has another eathquake? Im worrying that things that are switched off now will never return, like places to sit and rubbish bins after the Sarin gas attack.
That's crazy! :eyes:

P.s. Belongs in the "The Little Questions" thread :bye:

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Shawn wrote:I understand that train companies are shutting down their escalators to save energy, but do they have to tape them off like a crime scene? Why are we not allowed to use them? After all, aren't non-moving escalators simply stairs?
That is a bloody good point, mate.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 pm

If you wear one of those anti-wind-double-clip string things (?) that connects your hat to your shirt, you’re guaranteed to be a boring fucker.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:If you wear one of those anti-wind-double-clip string things (?) that connects your hat to your shirt, you’re guaranteed to be a boring fucker.
And anyone who wears a fishing vest when not fishing.

And any cunt who wears a beret is,well, a cunt.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 am

angryboy wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:If you wear one of those anti-wind-double-clip string things (?) that connects your hat to your shirt, you’re guaranteed to be a boring fucker.
And anyone who wears a fishing vest when not fishing.

And any cunt who wears a beret is,well, a cunt.
God help anyone wearing a beret which has been clipped using an anti-wind-double-clip to their fishing vest aye? :lol: :wink:
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

:haha: :clap:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Someone forgot to include those who carry fishing rods on the train while doing that! Who wears a hat inside anyway!
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 pm

SALE 70% - 50% OFF!

SALE 70% - 20% OFF!
:drunk:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Sumo wrestlers fired but still collect severance package...

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110 ... 02-sph-spo
日本相撲協会は14日、東京・両国国技館で臨時理事会を開き、八百長に関与したとして引退勧告を受けながら、応じなかった幕内・蒼国来(27)=荒汐=と十両・星風(27)=尾車=を解雇処分とした。だが、協会は2人に退職金を支給することを決定。
"April 14th: The Japan Sumo Federation (or whatever it is) decided to pay severance packages to two wrestlers involved in the match fixing scandals."

Now thats just basic translation but I have to say this! And they call this punishment?
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 pm

In Japan, a discarded magazine on the roadside is guaranteed to be a flog mag.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 pm

angryboy wrote:In Japan, a discarded magazine on the roadside is guaranteed to be a flog mag.
Same in Aus. I had a radar for the fucking things and made some good money selling them at school along with the ones we'd flog from building sites and what not.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Langslave wrote:Ha ha, flog mag. We used to call em stick mags when I was a young fella.
Yes us too. In saying that though, they all started out as stick mags but after a few passes around the school they were most definitely flog mags.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Speaking English could change your life!
BAH!
Attachments
ooh.jpg

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:37 pm

allblacks wrote:Speaking English could change your life!
BAH!
Fair call I reckon!
Penelope would agree with that.

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Children's games with universal appeal eg. Connect 4 and Snakes & Ladders haven't reached Japan.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Or tiddlywinks.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Still available on Amazon UK. Not sure about toy shops. Japanese kids like it and are very quick to get good at it.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 am

Yet, I have seen Hungry, Hungry Hippos in a few places here. :huh: Thought that game went hand in hand with C4 and SnL?
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Well, I can now tell you all, from a personal observation, that getting mentholated shaving cream in your eye not only sucks (hardcore), it is also the gift that keeps on giving... :x :x :x
(And I think my contact is now fused to my eyeball, too...)
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:28 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:Well, I can now tell you all, from a personal observation, that getting mentholated shaving cream in your eye not only sucks (hardcore), it is also the gift that keeps on giving... :x :x :x
There's a shampoo you can get in the UK called "Original Source" or something along those lines. They do a mentholated product that should definitely come with a warning against getting any of it on your cock, as I found out to my detriment.
Shit wank bollocks

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 am

RalphWiggum wrote:
exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:Well, I can now tell you all, from a personal observation, that getting mentholated shaving cream in your eye not only sucks (hardcore), it is also the gift that keeps on giving... :x :x :x
There's a shampoo you can get in the UK called "Original Source" or something along those lines. They do a mentholated product that should definitely come with a warning against getting any of it on your cock, as I found out to my detriment.
Fucking the half empty shampoo bottle again Ralph?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:20 am

SamhainP8 wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:
Fucking the half empty shampoo bottle again Ralph?
I'm not that creative, sunshine. I am, however, too cheap to buy separate shower gel and shampoo. They're all soap to a certain extent, so what's the difference (other than when they have some eye and cock burning compound added, clearly)?
Shit wank bollocks

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:00 am

Am I nuts, or do all the beer commercials here feature someone demonstrating the product by going "glug, glug, glug, aaaah" very loudly?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 am

Tall Tall Tree wrote:Am I nuts, or do all the beer commercials here feature someone demonstrating the product by going "glug, glug, glug, aaaah" very loudly?
That's yet another question.