The little observations...

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
steki47

Re: The little observations...

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:03 am

Left my JHS early on Monday and bumped into one of the JTEs. She had a mask on so I assumed she was sick. She said she had cold and the principal let her go home. But then she starts in on how took all last week off due to stress. I asked if it was the kids and she said it was the teachers' room that brought on the stress. She is new and fairly young so I am guessing there is some nagging obaachans or ijime, etc.

Made me so happy I am not Japanese. I am out of the loop and I am out of the loop. They don't ask much from me and I leave right after my last lesson.

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 am

steki47 wrote:Left my JHS early on Monday and bumped into one of the JTEs. She had a mask on so I assumed she was sick. She said she had cold and the principal let her go home. But then she starts in on how took all last week off due to stress. I asked if it was the kids and she said it was the teachers' room that brought on the stress. She is new and fairly young so I am guessing there is some nagging obaachans or ijime, etc.

Made me so happy I am not Japanese. I am out of the loop and I am out of the loop. They don't ask much from me and I leave right after my last lesson.

I recently got struck with what the doctors think is 'reactive arthritis'. Basically it's a really debilitating condition that is a response to some kind of infection (don't know what kind of infection I had cuz all fluid samples came back clean - though i'm guessing it's some sushi I ate a few weeks back that may have caused a weak case of food poisoning). Worst medical condition I've ever had. Makes you feel - and probably look, at least in body movements - like a 90 year old somedays. I've been off work for 2+ weeks, and I told my school that it may be sometime before I'm able to return, which they were fine with. Your comments made me think about all this. Certainly being Japanese in Japan you're expected to gambare and just burn yourself out - at least at a number of places, i'm sure - till the next generation comes along to replace you - literally the expendables. And yah, I do remember the expectations are generally different for gaijin - unless you're right in the thick of it working as a bilingual salaryman for Toshiba or something. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a J-salaryman in Japan with this condition - I'd be f*cked! :ack:

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu May 28, 2015 3:28 pm

You can sleep in class,
you can talk when the teacher is talking,
you can totally ignore your classmates and do nothing during pair-work or group-work,
you can have your cellphone on,
you don't have to do your homework, (or you can hand in some pathetic, half-arsed attempt two weeks late)

but BY GOD you better say 'Excuse me' when you leave the staffroom!
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:55 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:You can sleep in class,
you can talk when the teacher is talking,
you can totally ignore your classmates and do nothing during pair-work or group-work,
you can have your cellphone on,
you don't have to do your homework, (or you can hand in some pathetic, half-arsed attempt two weeks late)

but BY GOD you better say 'Excuse me' when you leave the staffroom!
For Japanese teachers:
You can snort and sneeze to your heart's content,
you can smoke 40-50 cigaretters,
you can even sleep in the teachers' room,
BUT the foreigner who leaves "early" (according to his contract) is not a "hard worker"

BTW, I am cool with that.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Good Lord the teachers room was so fucking boring. I used to ask every damn teacher if I could help in any way and they never let me help with a thing, yet I was never allowed to leave early. May as well have brought a pillow with me and just slept at my damn desk, but of course it was usually freezing in there or so damned hot your shirt was soaking wet.

That being said. Why do I still pine to move back there?????? WTF??????

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

T.D. wrote: May as well have brought a pillow with me and just slept at my damn desk
Just like a lot of the `hard-working` Japanese teachers, minus the pillow.

The first teacher to enter the room on a hot day will set the aircon to 20. An hour later, someone will realise that the room is freezing, and set it to 28. An hour later it will go back to 20. Then 28, then 20. ALL FUCKING DAY!!! Just set the thing to 23 or 24. Jeesus.
Do NOT arrest this man.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Just googled misanthrope. Sounds interesting. Do go on.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

I've mentioned before that my in-laws take hot baths in summer and come out bitching about how hot they are (no shit Sherlock) but they also sleep with the windows closed and no a/c. And of course they whinge about how they can't sleep at night....Well, not quite yet ass it isn't that hot yet but they will...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.