The little questions...

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: The little questions...

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Langslave wrote:I hadn't thought about the "sign or leave" aspect, and certainly no-one here mentioned it.
I don't mean to be/sound like a dick Langslave but....
MacGyver wrote:Without being able to site the law, I do believe that after 3 years on contract, a company has to make a contractor full-time (seishain) or cut them loose. If this is the case then if you don't accept their offer, you may be let go. Certainly something worth looking into just in case (especially if you have been there 3 years or thereabouts).
As for the broader discussion of credit cards, I think I got rejected once by my bank that I had been banking with (Mitsui Sumitomo) for a number of years at that point. I think I then tried at a big home center whose name escapes me, but one of the big ones, when I bought a TV; in fact I only signed the forms because they offered it to me and even after I explained my situation (contract worker) they still said it wouldn't be a problem. I guess they were wrong. I then tried AEON (through a tip from someone; it may have been edo gaijin) and was successful. All this was before I got married and then became seishain. After I got married, I was able to get a Toyota card through my wife. They offered me a gold card after a few years of using them, which I have to this day, and they also offered me a platinum card or something like that a few years back but the yearly fees outweighed the benefits so I declined it.

As I say I know several gaijins with AEON cards so if anyone is really keen on getting a CC, I highly recommend giving them a shot.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:58 am

Langslave wrote:Sorry Mac, my head's been elsewhere the last few days.
No worries mate, I'm sure it has. Just felt I'd be remiss to not mention that I had indeed raised that issue!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Langslave wrote:Not about this, there's a personal crisis brewing. Doing my head in, can't eat properly.
Shit, that sucks. i hope it resolves itself quickly!

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:47 pm

With credit cards, what would happen if you exaggerated some when applying online? For example giving your self a small pay increase, or extending your time at your current address and so forth. Nothing major, just an extra zero here, and a year longer at current employer there. I know it's fraud and all but the responses come back instantaneously so I assume that no-one is investigating or verifying anything.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Langslave wrote:One says I can't look for another job while I'm with them, NOR for 12 months after I quit!!!
That's a massive red flag for me. And as you say may not even be legal. NDAs and non-competes are fairly common but for an English teacher? Usually they use them to protect IP but what could you learn that could hurt them??? In fact the more I think about it the more it doesn't sound legal to me. I'm no lawyer, not by a long shot, but I doubt highly it could be legal for them to stop you making an income. Shit, surely that's a basic human right???
Langslave wrote:Also, fuckers want a guarantor too and I don't think I have anyone. "So Langslave, we like you enough to make you F/T, however, we still don't trust you're foreign arse and need a "responsible Japanese adult" to vouch for you."
Vouch for what??? Doesn't even make sense.

Without doubt I would not only ask them about it (as politely and non-confrontationally as possible) but I'd be going to either a labour lawyer or your local labour office. Don't they have services for this sort of thing at the Ward/City Office? I have a vague memory of people using them in the past but have never had to myself.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah fair enough, although I'd still be loath to sign without knowing possible consequences/legal ramifications if you did quit down the road. I'd be inclined to make some inquiries with people in the know so at least I knew.

BTW, out of curiosity, what is retirement age for a teacher? And when do you plan on retiring?

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Sign it but if you are offered another better job resign with as much notice as possible, be as helpful as possible with the handover and off you go. Do they really want to try and sue you for damages even if they have a case? Unfair/illegal terms of contract have no force. Only if they could show you took proprietary material, data or something from them could they have any realistic prospect of success.

And even if they have a case, what's the point of spending a load of money and time suing someone who won't be able to pay you much. No-one does it except nutters involved in boundary disputes and such.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Fuck the census. The gov already knows where we all live anyway. I ducked out of the 2010 US census as well.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Are there any alternatives to Gaijinpot for an online job search?

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:10 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:Are there any alternatives to Gaijinpot for an online job search?
www.daijob.com
Do NOT arrest this man.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Y'all notice we Japanese clap a lot? I was at a bar and the 5 or 6 cats next to us would clap super loud anytime something slightly funny was said. It was kind of obnoxious but whatever, they seemed to be having a good time.
Do NOT arrest this man.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:19 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
sirwanksalot wrote:Are there any alternatives to Gaijinpot for an online job search?
http://www.daijob.com
https://justa.io has some tech jobs.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Why is it that on the news, voiceovers are done as if they were from a movie? Example: An elderly man is quoted, so his voiceover must sound raspy and wise. Do they really have to sound age-appropriate?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am

Langslave wrote:Sorry gents, I know there were was some discussion of this recently but I'm short for time. My Mum died last night so I have to head back to Oz quick-smart, probably by the end of this week. My question is, what's the deal with re-entry permits now? I recall someone saying that with the new Residents Cards we don:t need them anymore, and a friend told me the same. However, she also told me there:s no charge for the new visa (which I got last month) and of course I had to pay 4,000 for that. Could be things are different for her, she's Filipino. So does anyone know for sure what the story is for British passports? I'm not actually an Australian citizen, just spent most of my life there.
Ah fark sorry to hear it mate. Been hot back home so take sunscreen! As for re-entry permits, I can only speak to PR visas. And yes not necessary any more. For anything else, no idea.

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:55 pm

......sorry to hear that your Mum passed away........as Mac mentioned you're good if you have PR........otherwise it might be best to call immigration.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:12 pm

No drinks through first security/customs but you can take them on the plane once you are through. In other words, buy them once you clear customs. You'll be fine with a backpack as carry on.

8 years? Fark Perth has changed a heap mate. Take LOTS of money or at least have access to LOTS of money. I'm not kidding. Exxy as shit now.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Condolences, Langslave. I'm sorry to hear that.
Do NOT arrest this man.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 am

Please accept my condolences as well, mate.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:59 am

Langslave wrote:Thanks wilde. Another question gents, what's the deal with coin lockers at Narita? While not as bad as it has been of late, there'll be a substantial temperature diff between Japan and Perth, so I'd prefer not to have to lug the coat I'll need here to Perth. I"ll be gone about 9 - 10 days.
I have encountered the same situation. In December I went to Cambodia where it was around 25C. I did not want to carry winter clothes around for the week, so I didn't. I wore a sweatshirt and walked quickly to the station (5 min for me). Saved me the hassle and extra weight in my backpack.

Your circumstances may be different, though.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Can't say about Narita, but if it's anything like Kansai there'll be coin lockers and a manned counter where you can leave your stuff while you're overseas.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Langslave wrote:Sorry gents, I know there were was some discussion of this recently but I'm short for time. My Mum died last night so I have to head back to Oz quick-smart, probably by the end of this week. My question is, what's the deal with re-entry permits now? I recall someone saying that with the new Residents Cards we don:t need them anymore, and a friend told me the same.
Sorry for your loss, Langslave. As to your question about re-entry permits, they did away with them. You should have your zairyuu card by now. That's all you need.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:56 pm

So, what happens when you go to the airport now and return? Just show your Zairyuu card?

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Found this on line:
Re-entry
Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and resident card who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. (This is called a special re-entry permit.)
When you leave Japan, be sure to present your residence card and tick the column indicating your intention of departure by the Special Re-entry Permit System on an ED card for Special Re-entry Permit. ETC......

Read more: http://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-resid ... z41GdeTnVD

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Oh shit. You had better apply here pronto. Fingers crossed.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi ... plication#
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:52 pm

No problem. I read those e-visas can are free and will often be issued in a matter of minutes in routine cases. It can't hurt to apply and if it works as it should you will be home and hosed. If not, at least you know you have something in progress.

Very best of luck - seriously. I detest the way immigration systems do things like this to people.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:25 pm

It's a disgrace - and getting worse and worse. Get that application in - it might come back in minutes as approved and if not, at least you will have a reference number when you go to Narita.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 am

Oh! I thought I read it was free for UK passport holders - perhaps the source was out of date. Anyway, very good news and fingers crossed for you. Get that done and you are set.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

PM Abe's 10 February visit to Trump

Unread post by In The Know » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:59 am

Anyone taking bets that between now and February 10 "President" Trump will say something so offensive about Japan or the Japanese that Prime Minister Abe will have no choice but to cancel a planned visit to Washington to meet Trump? Hey, it already happened with Mexico's President.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 am

Pretty much a lock there will be a comment about unfair Japanese cars and how Japan is not paying enough for its security. :D