The little questions...

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: The little questions...

Unread post by Cadence » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:15 am

No idea of the area of translation she might be involved in, but I run a few websites, and have had then translated from English to Japanese.

Paid about 40,000yen for the whole site, which is about 6 hours solid work, so her rates do seem way off.

If she can't give you specifics about a job she does and for the money, then she is automatically a bullshitter in my books. Have had similar bullshit off other people from her neck of the woods regarding work, so it might just be a 3rd world characteristic.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 pm

What is so special about the very end seat on the benches on trains?
It's like a national obsession.
The most common reason I've heard is that sitting there means only 1 person could possibly sit next to you, but even when the train carriage has been pretty much empty I've seen people slide up and lay claim to it as soon as someone gets off.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:26 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:What is so special about the very end seat on the benches on trains?
It's like a national obsession.
The most common reason I've heard is that sitting there means only 1 person could possibly sit next to you, but even when the train carriage has been pretty much empty I've seen people slide up and lay claim to it as soon as someone gets off.
I like leaning against it? Maybe that's it?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I think the same forces are in play as with toilet stalls and urinals. Generally, the ends go first, then the middle, then the remaining stalls according to distance from those already occupied.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:34 am

Langslave wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on why when you ask any J person "What's/ Who's your favourite _______?" they almost invariably say "I can't remember it's/his/her name." As far as I"m concerned, if you can't remember that then it's not your favourite. Jokes about 'the last one they ate/saw/read' aside I just don't get it.
I get the impression that many Japanese have the memories of fish: they can't remember anything for very long. Population of their hometown, when did a movie come out, etc. Makes every conversation painful as well as pointless.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:56 am

No Steki. If its about some celebrity or J pop shit they know everything by heart.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Langslave wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on why when you ask any J person "What's/ Who's your favourite _______?" they almost invariably say "I can't remember it's/his/her name." As far as I"m concerned, if you can't remember that then it's not your favourite. Jokes about 'the last one they ate/saw/read' aside I just don't get it.
Either a) because there's not going to be a specific test on it, there's no reason to remember anything. Ever.
Or b) "your favourite" is taken as "who does everone else like, so you have to like too, even though you don't actually know who they are?"
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:21 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:I think the same forces are in play as with toilet stalls and urinals. Generally, the ends go first, then the middle, then the remaining stalls according to distance from those already occupied.
Yeah, but if you're in mid-stream in one of the middle urinals, you don't rush down to one of the end ones if someone there finishes before you.

Though given the state of some public toilets I've seen in various places, maybe that does actually happen... :pee:

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:05 am

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:
Either a) because there's not going to be a specific test on it, there's no reason to remember anything. Ever.
Or b) "your favourite" is taken as "who does everone else like, so you have to like too, even though you don't actually know who they are?"
Just like not having a hobby seems to be a mortal sin not having a favourite is out of the question.Best to say anything then be different.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:Yeah, but if you're in mid-stream in one of the middle urinals, you don't rush down to one of the end ones if someone there finishes before you. :pee:
You wouldn't do that in mid-stream on the train either :thumbsup:
Do NOT arrest this man.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri May 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Why do the school softball and baseball teams make so much goddamn noise when they are training?
And why, with all the hours and days of training that clubs and teams do here, is Japan not the best in the world at every single sport?
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Why do the school softball and baseball teams make so much goddamn noise when they are training?
I actually think it's good to make noise and be lively when you train. Keeps the intensity up. Although I will agree that the noises the clubs make ("oi" "oi" "hey" "hey" etc, etc ad nauseum) are mostly pointless.
AsahiSupaSpy wrote:And why, with all the hours and days of training that clubs and teams do here, is Japan not the best in the world at every single sport?
This is a question I've asked myself many times and failed each time. Although the saying "Perfect practice makes perfect" comes to mind.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri May 08, 2015 10:49 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote: And why, with all the hours and days of training that clubs and teams do here, is Japan not the best in the world at every single sport?
Partially because excessive training itself can be detrimental. This is something that is said a lot in comparisons of American and Japanese approaches to baseball. The Japanese train way harder, but a lot of it is just designed to exhaust players and push them to their limits rather than build specific skills. The way the training is structured, with a coach always telling you what to do, can also stifle innovation by the players.

Its also one of the reasons why star Japanese pitchers almost always burnout after a couple of seasons in the Majors, they are made to throw so many pitches in their teenage/early pro years that their arms get worn out early.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat May 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Why do J peeps have a hot bath in summer? My in-laws have hot baths every night in summer and always come out complaining about how hot it is and look frazzled. Yet they refuse to take a cold shower/bath.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun May 10, 2015 1:47 pm

My mother-in-law reckons the "shock" of a cold shower or bath would be too much.... :huh: If they gave it a try, they'd realise how refreshing it is but being Japanese they don't try new things. Honestly, it's bizarre. They come out of the bath sweating.... :bang:

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun May 10, 2015 2:11 pm

I rarely have a cold shower. I adjust the shower from hot to lukewarm.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun May 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Maybe its northern hemisphere ppl then. Cold showers in Oz in summer are standard fare. Come summer here I won't have a hot shower until October...I've already changed from hot bath to cold bath at the gym.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sun May 10, 2015 5:22 pm

A luekwarm or cold bath or shower makes no sense. You're supposed to jump in a hot bath and add "cooling" menthol bath powder to the water. :eyes:

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun May 10, 2015 6:51 pm

:eyes: What I was trying to say was that you can adjust the temperature of a shower to suit your needs.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

I used to play golf occasionally with a co-worker and some of his mates. We would play almost mid summer, and the first thing they wanted to do after finishing the round, covered in sweat, was jump in the club's scalding hot onsen.

I would usually neck a cold beer at the bar but one time I thought that there maybe something to it, and tried an onsen. Ridiculous.
Do NOT arrest this man.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 pm

I've only ever been a seishain once so I have limited personal knowledge, but from that experience:
Good:
- Harder for the company to fire you (as a contractor, all they have to do is not renew your contract) and if they do fire you (retrench, whatever you want to call it) they have to give you severance, unless of course they are firing you because you broke the law or something heinous like that.
- Some companies offer benefits. Mine offered shares at a discount and I was also gifted some shares. They also used to have the bonus system, but they canned it, although I've always thought the bonus system was a bit of a scam (to that point, when they had it, they would split your salary over 18 months. 12 months was a monthly salary with 2 bonuses (of 3 month's wages) twice a year).

Bad: Nothing really.

Salary didn't go down for me when I became seishain. If anything, it may have gone slightly up. But then I never really did get massive pay rises so it didn't make a difference one way or the other (after 8 years, I was making about 100K yen per month more than when I started, which is nothing).

You should still be signing a piece of paper with your monthly salary on it to confirm you accept terms and conditions of your seishain role so just make sure it has what you want on it. Otherwise, as long as the salary is to your liking, I'd accept if I were you. Gives you more job security and there is no down side. You can still quit by giving 2 weeks notice; it's not like you are stuck there forever if you want out.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 am

My wife said that as a seishain the company will expect more from you. A lot more. Hakken workers leave at 5 typically.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:36 am

Hmmmm....maybe. Heavily dependent on the company I would say. But being eikaiwa you could be right. That certainly wasn't the case for me or others around me/others I know in other companies. But then I wasn't in eikaiwa nor working for a J company. The only "extra" obligation I had was to go through annual reviews. A pain to be sure but not big enough of a pain to turn down the extra benefits of seishain. I'd inquire about expectations to see whether they expect you to work longer for no extra money ("service" zangyo) or attend extra events and so forth.

Without being able to site the law, I do believe that after 3 years on contract, a company has to make a contractor full-time (seishain) or cut them loose. If this is the case then if you don't accept their offer, you may be let go. Certainly something worth looking into just in case (especially if you have been there 3 years or thereabouts). This is a big "if", mind, so I certainly wouldn't panic if I were you. As I say something to look into just in case though.

Although to be honest, when I worked at a J company a little over 10 years ago (for 4 years as a translator) I was on contract and worked the same hours as everyone else for the most part. At that time, I probably wouldn't have taken seishain if they offered it to me because I felt that there would be no benefit. I felt comfortable in my security with them (this may have been before the 3 year contractor law, although this company was known to flaunt labor law so who knows) and AFAIK there were no extra benefits in terms of higher salary, stock options, etc. But I was also a youngish, single man in my late 20s to early 30s. If I were to be in that situation now, I would undoubtedly reconsider. Also worth mentioning that seishain makes it easier to get a mortgage. You may not be interested in buying a property anyway but I thought I'd throw it out there as another data point.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:46 am

In my case (many years ago now, but anyway...) becoming seishain for a while gave me the stability of hours and income needed to plan my own business. It wasn't great money by any stretch of the imagination, but income and work hours were two things I didn't have to worry about, so I could set my mind to other things.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Langslave, just on credit cards, try an AEON card mate if no one else will give you one. The interest rate isn't good (something like 25% or the like) but if you pay it off every month then it doesn't really matter. I certainly wouldn't be making a big purchase and paying it off slowly on an AEON card! I had one before I got married and was able to get a card from someone else.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah they are handy for sure, as a backup if you happen to be out of cash or what have you. Even if you never use it at least you've got it just in case!

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Langslave wrote:Thanks Mac and steki. I'll probably say yes, I could use the security. Pay will go up slightly, though no bonus I think (still in eikaiwa). I doubt they'll be able to get TOO much more blood from this stone for that reason also. Though I DO worry they might try something like "You have to transfer to Hokkaido from tomorrow!" kinda' crap. As you say Mac, it should make it easier to get a mortgage (not that I'm in the market) but a credit card might be easier now!
Haven't been around here in a while but thought I should chime in.

IIRC you work for a newish place and have been there for a few years, but this place seems to care about the labor standards law (I know a few people who work there).

If you've been there 3 years or so and the company offers you the chance to become seishain, you should take it. Some companies that do this are really offering a choice - you can either become seishain or get canned (contract non-renewal).

If you're still a teacher the hours and everything should be pretty much the same, but you will be expected to go somewhere to fill in where needed. You'll also get access to the company retirement plan and other benefits.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 am

MacGyver wrote:Langslave, just on credit cards, try an AEON card mate if no one else will give you one. The interest rate isn't good (something like 25% or the like) but if you pay it off every month then it doesn't really matter. I certainly wouldn't be making a big purchase and paying it off slowly on an AEON card! I had one before I got married and was able to get a card from someone else.
I have been rejected twice for a credit card here. Once through the post office (after ten plus years of having an account with them!) and recently got rejected by Sports Authority. I have an AEON card through my wife's account but wanted to get one of my own. Actually I need it for my new Ebay store, among other things.

I use my American debit card all the time here but it sometimes causes me to get security warnings from my bank back home. Fine, I use cash all the time anyway.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 pm

steki47 wrote:I have been rejected twice for a credit card here.
Thrice. My bank, Costco and Rakuten. I was advised that Costco and Rakuten were the surest options. They weren't. My bank wanted proof of permanent residency so technically I didn't actually apply with them as such. Still counts as a rejection for me though.

When my girlfriend and I moved in together we had to get a credit card to pay the rent with so I just use that for online purchases and when we travel together. It is a joint card, but only her name is printed on it.

This one time though, I booked a hotel with it online for when I went to Hawaii alone to attend a wedding and when I rocked up to the hotel, card in hand (with a copy of the card's statement with the accepted charge printed on it and signed by my girlf because I thought that might provide further proof that it was legit if there were any problems) the staff said 'Nope, not good enough' so I had to have them email my girlfriend to sign some form accepting the charges. Basically all the proof I had provided, but official like. Of course she was at work where they don't allow personal emails so I had to wait for her to get home so she could reply, and by that time it was too late in the day to do anything about as the original staff member had left for the night and so-on. I ended up paying cash for the first night so we could sort it out the next morning. Then I ended up bar hopping with my buddies the entire night and didn't even sleep in the hotel that first night. Got it sorted though. The kicker was that it was a totally shitty hotel.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:53 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Thrice. My bank, Costco and Rakuten. I was advised that Costco and Rakuten were the surest options. They weren't.
Ouch. I thought Sports Authority would be an easy win. They want me to shop there, right? Guess not.