The little questions...

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: The little questions...

Unread post by JD9 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 am

sirwanksalot wrote:Why are napkins at fast food joints in Japan coated with a waxy substance?
So they don't chaff your cock.
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 pm

You just killed this thread! I should lock it now!

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Every afternoon the MIl spends 30 minutes hosing the shit out of all the concrete around the house.
WTF is this supposed to be achieving besides making it steamy as fuck if you're silly enough to step outside when she's done?
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Evaporative cooling. It doesn't work very well when the humidity is high but can be surprisingly effective in more arid heat. I remember it working well in Brisbane at primary school. They would soak the veranda two or three times over the afternoon and it worked.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:01 pm

JD9 wrote:Every afternoon the MIl spends 30 minutes hosing the shit out of all the concrete around the house.
WTF is this supposed to be achieving besides making it steamy as fuck if you're silly enough to step outside when she's done?

Makes you sweaty so you don't
JD9 wrote: chaff your cock.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:32 am

Wage Slave wrote:Evaporative cooling. It doesn't work very well when the humidity is high but can be surprisingly effective in more arid heat.
Yeah as you say that's the theory but I can't say it has ever made a difference here in Japan. I can't say I ever have seen anyone do it in Perth and Perth is desert-like. But then I think if you did it in Perth you'd get yelled at for wasting water.
Wage Slave wrote:I remember it working well in Brisbane at primary school. They would soak the veranda two or three times over the afternoon and it worked.
Interesting. My image of Brisbane is a very humid place.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:06 pm

New York City has very humid summers and I never saw anyone spray water on the sidewalk. Never even thought about doing that until I came here.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:35 am

steki47 wrote:New York City has very humid summers and I never saw anyone spray water on the sidewalk. Never even thought about doing that until I came here.
I saw it.... on Seinfeld.

FWIW I always assumed people did it to wash the sidewalk, as people near my apartment have done it in winter.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 am

inflames wrote:
steki47 wrote:New York City has very humid summers and I never saw anyone spray water on the sidewalk. Never even thought about doing that until I came here.
I saw it.... on Seinfeld.

FWIW I always assumed people did it to wash the sidewalk, as people near my apartment have done it in winter.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-we-water-si ... tml?cat=57

These guys claim it is for washing sidewalks, not cooling things down. They also argue that it is a waste of water. I agree.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 am

It makes you look busy while not actually achieving anything. It is Japanese way.
Do NOT arrest this man.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 pm

:haha: BINGO :haha:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Why does my wife insist on watching "24 jikan TV?" :zzz:

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 am

Shawn wrote:Why does my wife insist on watching "24 jikan TV?" :zzz:
Ugh I wound up watching that yesterday. Christ that was a waste of time.

My gf also likes 半沢直樹, which I find watchable.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmm, so I've discovered that a ton of stuff my ex-gf said when we were breaking up was bs. Naturally, when you're having unprotected sex and the like I expect someone to tell the truth about things. Of course, she had gotten an STD test in June and asked me to get one. She didn't wait to hear the results, so I'm really considering showing her how much lies hurt. Any thoughts?

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

inflames wrote: Naturally, when you're having unprotected sex and the like I expect someone to tell the truth about things.
Not sure I would connect the two things. In fact, the first thing gives some people (women) the opportunity to tell lies with greater ease. Had a couple of J-gals tell sex-related lies to me/about me because of #2. I could have avoided that, of course.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 am

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'll stick it here.

So Wladimir Balentien, playing for the Yakult Swallows, broke the 49 year old home run record held previously by Sadaharu Oh. For those of you who know a bit about Japanese baseball and/or have lived here a while you'll also know that two other players both got to 55 home runs but were then intentionally walked for the rest of their at bats for those respective seasons so that they wouldn't break Oh's record; Oh being Japanese (ironically born to a Chinese father) the Japanese players/teams didn't want a dirty foreigner to break his record. I was sure that no pitcher would pitch to Balentine this time too but that was not the case. Speaking to J peeps, they were in no doubt that the pitchers would pitch to him, even though history suggested otherwise. So my question is this: what changed? Why did the J pitchers all of a sudden pitch to him yet in the past they've walked the previous players who got to 55?

A couple of side notes. I found the conspicuous lack of commentary on walking the other players in the past when the news has mentioned them "interesting". Funny how the comments I've heard by the newscasters was something like "Rhodes and Cabrera both got to 55 but couldn't break the record." Yeah no shit when the pitchers won't pitch to them! I also found it disappointing, although not surprising, when I read a Japanese article online about him getting to 55 home runes, 80% of the comments were along the lines of "Ganbare Japanese players" or "I hope a Japanese player breaks the new record" etc etc. It's a wonderful achievement yet J peeps still can't get away from the fact that he's a gaijin....

Edited to add I was just reading Oh's profile and it mentions the walk controversy and the way it states it, it was only Oh managed teams that walked Rhodes and Cabrera (and Randy Bass, who was on 54 in the last game of the season). But I was sure that it wasn't only Oh managed teams that walked them.

One of his daughters is also mentioned in his profile as a sportscaster/DJ so decided to check it out to see if I had ever seen her before and I saw this:
"Rie Oh holds Taiwanese citizenship because her father did not want his daughters to become naturalized Japanese, although neither could speak Chinese."

Hahaha and there are the J peeps trying to deny dirty gaijins from breaking his record when the father evidently considers himself more Chinese than Japanese....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

mandangaman
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by mandangaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Maybe because his name was Valentine - so romantic! - he was allowed to break the record
Randy Bass looked too much like Colonel Sanders - not romantic!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Pathetic. Then again the way people do things here is VERY fucking strange so its not pathetic. Its just weird.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:13 am

mandangaman wrote: Randy Bass
Does he have a cousin named Horny Trout by any chance?
Shit wank bollocks

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 am

RalphWiggum wrote:
mandangaman wrote: Randy Bass
Does he have a cousin named Horny Trout by any chance?
and an aunt named Fridgid Flounder perhaps?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 am

I get the Randy Bass jokes but you guys have heard of him right? I just that if you had, seeing as he played here in the 80s, the joke(s) would be a little bit old by now...

And you want randy jokes, I once lived in the same building/knew an American guy called Randy Bachelor. No, I am not kidding....Actually I think he may be still in Japan.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Back in the US, I lived on Chester street. Chester the Molester, hehehe

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

MacGyver wrote:I get the Randy Bass jokes but you guys have heard of him right? I just that if you had, seeing as he played here in the 80s, the joke(s) would be a little bit old by now...
Nope, that last post is the first time I've ever come across the name. Mind you, now I HAVE heard it I expect I'll still find it funny twenty years from now. Randy Bass!
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:54 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Nope, that last post is the first time I've ever come across the name.
Really? That surprises me cause he is a bit of a legend here, even if he is a gaijin, so his name gets mentioned every once in a while on TV, and often comes up on baseball flashback shows/quiz shows, etc, etc. Not to suggest I'm having a go at you, I just thought he was well-known even among gaijins.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 am

MacGyver wrote:Not to suggest I'm having a go at you, I just thought he was well-known even among gaijins.
No offence taken, mate. It's odd since I do remember a few baseball players but only Japanese ones - no gaijin.
Shit wank bollocks

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:41 pm

MacGyver wrote:I once lived in the same building/knew an American guy called Randy Bachelor. No, I am not kidding....Actually I think he may be still in Japan.
I used to work with an older lady called Gaye Boys.

I jest not.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 pm

There was a super old teacher at one of the schools I attended as a youth who had the last name Gay, and had retired from the army years earlier with the rank of Major. Being a stuffy private school, we had to address him as Major Gay.
Do NOT arrest this man.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:41 am

An immediate relative is sick and I'm not quite sure about how long she has to live. I've talked to a few relatives (including the person involved) and apparently I'm supposed to inherit 1億円 or around $1mln. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this. Any advice? (other than to go out and blow a bit on booze and random chicks. which I do well on my own)

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:45 am

First off, sorry to hear about the illness.

Money-invest it. Make it last the rest of your life. Investment property, high interest CDs, etc. Or you can invest in my blah blah blah gimme yer money blah blah blah.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 am

steki47 wrote:First off, sorry to hear about the illness.

Money-invest it. Make it last the rest of your life. Investment property, high interest CDs, etc. Or you can invest in my blah blah blah gimme yer money blah blah blah.
Exactly this. While it may not be enough to retire on it's enough to make the rest of your life worry-free if you use it wisely. I'd get a reputable financial adviser if I were you.
Shit wank bollocks